Sign in to follow this  
geoffco

AI Rollout Distance?

A quick AI question:Is there a way to change (increase) the distance that AI aircraft roll on the runway before they turn off? Basically they seem to stop way too quickly and then taxi slowly to an exit... Better if they made a decent rollout! For the slow taxi speeds, the FS Configurator tool has helped a lot but it looks really strange when a loaded MD11 stops in under 1 km... I think it can be done by modifying the Aircraft.cfg of each one and reducing the braking efficiency but I'm hoping for some kind of trick / utility that can do this faster (I have quite a lot of AI).Cheers,Geoff

>looks really strange when a loaded MD11 stops in under 1 km...That's the point in FS AI aircraft - there are no fully loaded AI aircraft. They are all empty and flown at the empty weight.The popular DC10-30C is only 200,000 lbs for takeoff and landing.Of course, always make a backup of the current aircraft.cfg file before you start testing any changes.I've found Jan Martin's flight dynamics and info most helpful.http://de.geocities.com/janswebsites/fligh...our-v5acof.htmlBut to specifically answer your question, play with the setting for toe_brakes_scale = A little change can have a big effect, though frankly most of my work has been in getting planes to stop sooner since an awful lot tend to overrun runways around the world.You might also try disabling the reversers under turbine engine data - reverser_available=1 and see what impact that has. I've never tried that - have no idea if it will work, or the impact.There is no utility to make massive changes in the multiple aircraft.cfg files.

Hi,If the slowing is too much in the early stages of the landing roll, change the minimum throttle line in the General Engine section. Less negative means less reverse thrust (i.e. increase it to 0 and you have no reverse thrust).If the slowing is too much at the end of the landing roll, then reduce the toe_brake_scalar as described above.Sorry, this is a one by one process...Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thanks for the info. I've edited the worst "offenders" and the results look good. Now the only thing on my AI wishlist is the implementation of one-way taxi tracks in AFCAD... (for FS9 that is)Cheers,Geoff

Hi Reggie"an awful lot tend to overrun runways around the world."Most of my AIs land correctly at the beginning of a runway but some non GA aircraft seem to encounter a kind of ground effect at about 20-30 feet altitude, resulting in them landing (sometimes even more than) half way down the runway. Slamming on the toe_brakes as you describe could be a solution but do you know of any way to more directly influence this effect ?Hans