Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

FDC Live Cockpit vs. FS Passengers

I don't quite get the real difference here. Is there any advantage to buying FDC Live Cockpit if I already own FS Passengers? It doesn't really seem that FDC will add anything to FS9 from a practical standpoint, but is basically the same thing without the game elements of FSPassengers.Thanks for your opinions.

Guest lgvpilot1

I use fdc alongside fspassengers fdc will add a copilot who will operate your flaps,landing gear and adjust your barometric settings among other things .The copilot talks you through the engine start up ie Fuel flow xx% ,No 1 stable and so onThere are a fair few overlaps especially with the hostess announcements ,but you can alter the volumes to suit.I like FDC but if I had to choose only one Im afraid it would be FSPassengersMark

Thank you, Mark. Sounds to me that the advantage then is the multiple voices and the presence of a 'functional' copilot. Do the extra voices in FDC include alternate stewardesses? I'm tired of the one that comes with FSPassengers.Also, does the functionality of the copilot really help? I don't fly anything as complex as PMDG or LD any more.Thank you for your insight Mark. I'd buy FDC but the $50+ USD cost just seems a little steep for what it adds. I wish these guys would let you try it out before you buy.

Guest lgvpilot1

FDC does add a stewardess that gives the usual announcements that you would expectAs far as the copilot goes I would say that is a matter of personal choiceIf you would like a copilot that sets your flaps then retracts them as climb out , call out your v speeds , He (it) will tell you when the localiser is alive and when you have captured it .also as you approach it will lower the flaps to match your speed ,lower the landing gear ,arm spoilers, set autobrakes,and as you touch down activate reverse thrust, and bring the plane to a halt for you.All the above you can still do yourself and the co pilot will just annouce what you have done ie gear down ,flaps 10 set.You can tailor FDC to each indivdual aircraft,and the amount of work the copilot does.I fully understand your hesitation about buying it at the price ,more so if you only want the sound effects, but if you like the idea of a functional copilot and you configure it right it is quite good.I use it with PMDG747 with no problems.I must add though once you are in the cruise phase of a flight there is little or no response from FDC unlike FSPassengers where you get the stewardess announcing the serving of food,drinks and in flight movie.FDC seems to me to be more active during the takeoff and arrival stages of flight.Sorry for the long post but I would hate to see you spend $50 on something you dont like.Perhaps a few more opinions would helpMark

Thank you, Mark. Your 'long' post was exactly what I needed to know and was hoping for.I'll hold off buying FDC for now because I like doing all those things you talk about during the takeoff and landing phases myself, and FSPAX provides me with the alt., 10k and GPWS callouts that I need during these busy times. But now that I know it's there, and EXACTLY what it does (thanks to you) I can make a much more informed decision in the very near future.Thanks again for your time, Mark.

HelloYou can still do all the checklist items yourself, the copilot calls out the checklist item and you operate the switch etc, then the copilot calls out set, the checklist doesn't move on until you have set the relevant item.Too many other functions to mention here but it is a really nice programfor adding interactive checklists, airport ambience sounds, regionised ATC chatter, flightdeck calls, cabin announcements.Plus good support in the Oncourse forum here at Avsim.

Mark/Maddog:I'll probably buy this today, if only for the checklist capability and the freedom from FSPAX requiring me to "buy" airliners every time I change paints on my a/c.Are either of you aware if there's a demo version available? -- for the life of me I couldn't find one. These software developers drive me nuts not giving us even a limited demo!

HelloI do not think that a Demo is available which is a pityHere are some links to video's and reviewsthere is also an Avsim library section for Flightdeck Companion as well as the support forum.Some Video's

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/fsx-fdc-...ents/3317023209Oncourse websitehttp://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/fdc_live_cockpit.htmSome reviewshttp://www.simflight.com/modules.php?name=...rticle&sid=5809http://www.avsim.com/pages/0402/flight_dec...rcail_addon.htmhttp://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

Thank you for all your extra effort, sir! And thank you to both you and Mark for helping me with your experiences.

Guest JTEK99

>I'll probably buy this today, if only for the checklist>capability and the freedom from FSPAX requiring me to "buy">airliners every time I change paints on my a/c.You really don't need to do this. Just make an aircraft variant in the aircraft.cfg called something like, "FSPax Variant" and create a folder to match (i.e., 'texture.fspaxvariant'). Then just copy the repaint folder's contents to it. Buy the "FSPax Variant" aircraft in FS Passengers company dialog. Then anytime you want to change liveries, just copy the relevant livery textures you want to the 'textures.fspaxvariant' folder and then you don't have to continue "buying" repaints.

JTEK: Anybody ever tell you you're a genuis?I bought FDC Live Cockpit today anyway, because I've been looking for a good, non-paper based checklist program for a long time and none I have tried up until now have quite fit the bill.Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

HelloI think you will be pleased with FDC.You will have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you, but the manual is good.My advice is to start with an aircraft that you know well and are familiar with the start up procedures, then only put the essential items to get the aircraft operational from cold and dark into your first attempt at a checklist.Use Auto2 mode for the checklist delivery and also set up a yoke button to advance/acknowledge the checklist items, this way you can step through the items one by one in your own time.The first three checklists advance automatically and the rest happen depending on the phase of flight.I have just finished a flight from LFLS Grenoble to LIMC Malpensa using my Eaglesoft B400 v1.5 VoxATC and FDC.one of those flights when everything comes together and works flawlessly.I have now poured myself a beer to chill out.PM me if you get a bit lost setting things up, but bear in mind i am still finding things in FDC a year on. http://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

"where you get the stewardess announcing the serving of food,drinks and in flight movie."I have FDC ( the original version) and you can ADD voice calls of any and everything that you want. I have all of the safty calls, snack, dinner calls with choice of wines, pick up trays, start movie in 5 minutes in three languages, Stewardress please bring me some coffee, pretty scene outside and about 15 others. I love FDC and never fly without it on my largeer aircraft

Guest Albatross7107

I saw a video once, from the cockpit of a commercial jet, as I heard the co-pilot and pilot running down the checklist, you could hear the stew in the background saying "This is a non-smoking flight, so the smoking section is out on the wing, if you lite em, you can smoke em." and "If you are smoking we will assume you are on fire and put you out"Was that FDC? (I have FsP and it's devoid of such humor so far)