Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Where the heck did this come from? Bear Gulch?

Hi folks. I was flying the other day from Orcas Island to Emma Field, when I noticed that in the ATC screen there was a listing for Bear Gulch Aviation. I never noticed it before, so I dropped down to the North End of Cushman Lake to have a look. What I found was a float plane dock, with a house and what looked to be a landing strip lined with trees. The only problem was that all the parts were missing textures. So, after the flight I looked in my addon scenery/scenery folder and noticed three files: 000_wa38_excl, wa38_grnd_hires, wa38rwy. The one titled wa38_grnd_hires and wa38rwy have dates of 2-12-06 modified and the one called 000_wa38_excl was modified on 1-31-06.I have no idea where these came from. The only sceneries I use in Washington state are Emma, Orcas Island, and Fly Tampa KSEA. I also have Flight Zone Portland, but after reasearching these products I don't see that they include Bear Gulch scenery. In fact, after an internet search I see that Bear Gulch scenery was a product produced by Antelope Simworks Bill Womack, and it was designed to be used as part of the RealAir Scout package, which I don't own. After searching further I found this thread: http://www.fs-freeflow.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1838.15, where another fellow found the same three items in his addon scenery, scenery folder, and also had no idea where he got it. I did a search on here in the files section but didn't find anything on Bear Gulch. With all this being said, I would like to find out if I can get the missing textures to make it work. It looks like it would be a neat little strip. If needed I can attach a screen shot to show what it looks like without the textures. It's also kind of weird that wa38 shows up as a helipad in Redmond WA on this site: http://gc.kls2.com/airport/WA38 .Thanks in advance if anyone has any knowledge of this scenery.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks the the reply Freddy. I know that it's part of that package. I mentioned it in the second paragraph. The thing is that I don't own the Realair Scout, so how can I have this scenery in my folder, and how can I find the textures that go to it?Sean

Guest fastfreddy74

Oops, i really don't know, sorry... It happens to me too to find a forgotten scenery now and then in my addon scenery folder. My fs9 folder is about 50gb in size! :(

Some of the Bear Gulch files found their way into the VOZ package.Have you installed that recently?

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe,Well not so recently, but I have VOZ up to version 1.30. How did Bear Gulch get into this VOZ package? And, is there a way to know which textures go to those 3 bgl's that I have so that I can use that scenery. While I have been waiting for replies, I noticed that in the screen shots area of the RealAir website that shows Bear Gulch, it looks exactly like what I have, except that I don't have the textures, or I don't have them in the correct area to make it work. Is it possible to get the textures out of the VOZ folder, make another addon scenery/Bear Gulch folder that has a scenery and texture folder. Or, would it be possible to put the 3 bgl's that I have into the VOZ scenery folder and have it work that way? Thanks.Sean

The short answer is ...no.BG was not supposed to be in VOZ, as I understand, it was a mistake.To my knowledge the only way to get BG to work is to buy the RealAir package. I would suspect there are copyright issues here.I have since deleted all the files and cannot remember what all was there, but I do remember a bunch of files that got mixed in with VOZ from Washington state, Alaska and other places if I recall.Wish I could be of more help, but I suggest if you want Bear Gulch badly, you get the RealAir package. If not, then delete all references to it and move on.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Oh well. I guess I will remove those bgl's since there are no textures. I guess I can get out my object placer and make my own Bear Gulch, lol. Thanks for the help Joe.Sean