Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Another alpha channel question.

Hello AllI recently learnt how to copy and paste cabin lights that have the necessary alpha channel(from one plane to another) so that the cabin lights didn't switch off when you turn the landing lights off.My next step in this learning curve is to add alpha channel to the tail light.I cant copy and paste as none of the other models i am using have tail lights with alpha.So can someone kindly tell me how to add the necessary alpha using DXTBitmap program?The reason i ask this is because some of my models have rather nice tail lights,BUT they (like my cabin lights did) switch of when i turn landing lights off.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest wji

"So can someone kindly tell me how to add the necessary alpha using DXTBitmap program?"Alpha Channel Section of DXTbmp (top righthand)Left2Right: Import Alpha; Send2Editor; Refresh After Edit; Export Alpha Channel as BMP; Create New Alpha Channel; Preview Transparency

Hi Andy, you'd need to export the alpha channel or "send alpha to editor" in DXTBmp, then in the editor (PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro, Irfanview, or even MS Paint would work) you'd have to add a black polygon to the alpha channel in the area of the vertical stabilizer. After that save it and return to DXTBmp and "Refresh after edit", save, and the lights should work.What photo editing software do you have available? With PhotoShop you can skip DXTBmp and open the texture directly and edit the alpha as if it were another layer. You'll need to re-save them in DXTBmp prior to using them in the sim.http://www.cat-tamer.com/attach/b767_l.jpgJim

>Hi Andy, you'd need to export the alpha channel or "send>alpha to editor" in DXTBmp, then in the editor (PhotoShop,>Paint Shop Pro, Irfanview, or even MS Paint would work) you'd>have to add a black polygon to the alpha channel in the area>of the vertical stabilizer. After that save it and return to>DXTBmp and "Refresh after edit", save, and the lights should>work.>>What photo editing software do you have available? With>PhotoShop you can skip DXTBmp and open the texture directly>and edit the alpha as if it were another layer. You'll need to>re-save them in DXTBmp prior to using them in the sim.>>http://www.cat-tamer.com/attach/b767_l.jpg>>>JimThanks very much JimI did try fiddling around with the DXTBmp program yesterday,but no joy,so i will give your suggestions(not sure about the black polygon thingy though )a try.By the way i do have Kodak photo editing package but i have hardly used it.I will let you know how i get on.Cheers AndyPS would an aircraft turn its tail lights off above ten thousand like the landing lights anyway? if so i wont bother trying to change things.

Guest LeeWang

What aircraft you trying to add tail lighting too?Lee

>What aircraft you trying to add tail lighting too?>>LeeHello again LeeI was working on an FFX BOEING 737/500(Luxair Livery),but i have various other FFX Boeing's as well 300s and 400s that i would also like to change.You may remember i was having problems with the crew displays and night lighting displays and both those issues have been resolved(Thanks to you)but the tail lights also turn off with the landing lights and unless that mirrors the real world i would like to keep them on.(No reason other than they look nice:-) )nit picking i know but thats me.Cheers to youAndy

Guest LeeWang

i c.Let me look.. I can post the alpha's here, then all you need to do is import them using bmpdxt, and then save the texture as DXT with alpha.Lee

>i c.>>Let me look.. I can post the alpha's here, then all you need>to do is import them using bmpdxt, and then save the texture>as DXT with alpha.>>Lee>>Thanks Lee For your time and patience.cheers Andy

Guest LeeWang

Appears all my tail textures for that aircraft don't have alpha's either.I no longer use that model, so I can't test this, but I just made an alpha that should work for all the models. What you have to do, is open up the tail texture with DXTBMP, then click on "Alpha - Import Alpha Channel". Once the alpha is imported, you then have to save the Tail texture as a DXT3. To do this, click on "File - Save as - Extended Bitmap", then a window opens up, and you must change the "Save as type" to DXT3.Here is the alphaLee

Guest LeeWang

Sorry Andy, I screwed up.... if you downloaded the first alpha, delete it. Use this one. Alphas must be saved as "8bit" and the first one was not. SorryLee

>Appears all my tail textures for that aircraft don't have>alpha's either.>>I no longer use that model, so I can't test this, but I just>made an alpha that should work for all the models. >>What you have to do, is open up the tail texture with DXTBMP,>then click on "Alpha - Import Alpha Channel". Once the alpha>is imported, you then have to save the Tail texture as a DXT3.> To do this, click on "File - Save as - Extended Bitmap", then>a window opens up, and you must change the "Save as type" to>DXT3.>>Here is the alpha>>Lee>>Hello LeeI have tried doing what you suggested,but i must be doing something wrong as i have had no joy yet.I am afraid you are going to explain the procedure in simple steps ie which if any files i am opening from the aircraft texture folder which ones i am importing etcApologies for being denseAndyHopefully if i can get this sorted i will leave you in peace......for awhile anyway.:-)

Hello yet again.Happy to report that its working with my other models as well.So i now have Pilots displaying correctly,cabin lights on above ten thousand,tail lights on independent of landing lights.Cheers Andy.