Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Editing the scenery.cfg file

Hi. Could someone kindly explain what the relationship is, if any, between 1) the area number "Area.XXX" in square brackets, and 2) the line "Layer=", both in the scenery.cfg file of course, with the priority order in which scenery appears in the Scenery Library, within FS9 settings?It would sometimes be useful to be able to be able to add scenery without going into FS9, but I never know what to put for these values so that the priority ends up as I want it in the FS Scenery Library. Or perhaps it is not possible that way?Thanks,Martin

>Hi. Could someone kindly explain what the relationship is, if>any, between 1) the area number "Area.XXX" in square brackets,>and 2) the line "Layer=", both in the scenery.cfg file of>course, with the priority order in which scenery appears in>the Scenery Library, within FS9 settings?>Entry Title [Area.XXX] when XXX is the scenery area entry number (i.e., 077). XXX must be an unique number.Scenery Title Title=XXXXXX when XXXXXX is the title of the area. This text will be shown under the

Martin,In terms of adding scenery I would always recommend that it be done in the sim where it is a simple matter of pointing and clicking. Much less chance of inputting a typo that way versus manually editing the scenery.cfg.In terms of layer priority again I like to do it in the sim scenery library where it is easy to see relationships between layers.Also, while Scott gave some good info in his post it was a little misleading in that the layer number in the .cfg file is not the same as the priority number you see in the scenery library.As an example, say you have 50 areas in your scenery library. Layer #1 in the scenery.cfg will be priority # 50 in the scenery library and layer # 50 in the scenery.cfg will be priority # 1 in the scenery library.So it is easy to get confused about priority while editing the scenery.cfg because the highest layer number gets the top priority. I find priority easier to visualize in the scenery library myself.That being said I do turn some scenery on and off by editing the active= line in the scenery.cfg as opposed to waiting for the sim to load, making those changes and then waiting for the sim to close and reload. I find this faster to just edit the scenery.cfg.There is a great little utility by Steve Greenwood, called fsscenery, that will clean up your scenery.cfg for you. While not as feature-packed as FSManager, it is simple to use and fast.If it isn't in the library here, maybe someone knows where to find it. I can zip up the version that I have, except I have none of the documentation that came with it.Hope this helps.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi. I do have some utilities like FS Manager and other specific scenery managers installed (tried the update for FSManager, but it didn't work for me - still have to set my PC back to 2006, but it's easy to do that temporarily so I haven't persevered with trying to get the update to work). I find in the end that I rarely use them though, as I have got so used to doing the tasks manually and prefer to do things 'hands on' on the whole. I agree that FS Manager has a lot of very useful options though - many of which I have probably never even explored.I know that the priority in the scenery.cfg is in effect the opposite to that shown in the FS library. Have to remember too that mesh works backwards - the higher up the FS library list it is, the lower its priority.In the end, I will probably stick to using FS directly rather than edit the cfg file, though I also do sometimes disable or delete scenery directly from the cfg. It's just sometimes a bit frustrating to have to wait for FS to load up, just so that you can access the scenery library and make one small change to the priority.M.