Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

Sudden loss of FPS

OK I'm in need of some ideas here. Last week or so my FS9 was running as smooth as silk, between 27-29 FPS, locked to 30 FPS.Since I've been busy I haven't done any flying til now and my sim is now only running @ 2-18 FPS, but mostly less than 10 FPS.The only recent changes to my computer was in adding a new DVD burner and a new software program. My FS9 resides on the D: drive and everthing else is on the C: drive.Any ideas as to why the sudden change in the FPS of my FS9?Thanks for any ideas.Jim D.

Have you tried disconnecting that DVD burner to see if that is making the difference? I know I saw a small drop in performance when I went from two hard drives -> three but it wasn't more than say 1%...Also, have you tried the usual tricks of checkdisk / defrag / video drivers update etc in case your new software install has mucked about with some FS / graphics related files? GeoffPS: Something else just came to mind (but I can't see how it would drop your performance so badly): Did your new software install a lot of new background processes?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a defrag with no big results. So I did a system restore to a point two weeks ago and BINGO, back to my FPS @ 28-29. Missing a couple of textures now but I can correct that. Also I'll need to see what other changes are affected that I haven't discovered yet.Jim

Look at the burning software. Sometimes that stuff is bloated and take up way more resources than are necessary.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

That may have been the cause. Since the restore, that software is not now installed and all is OK. I'll keep that in mind when I reload the software.Jim