Sign in to follow this  
Guest Osure66

FS9 and VISTA

Guest Osure66

I recently upgraded my PC to a Dell XPS 420, 2 Quad CPU, Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz; Nvida GeForce 8800 512MB, 4GB RAM, VISTA Home Edition with FS9.1 running in XP SP2 compatability mode.I tried to change the panels and sound in the FS9 737-400 and 747-400using the same AVSIM downloaded panelsound files for each that I used when running FS9 in my prior DEll 8400 with XP SP2 OS...each time I try to loadfly either aircraft, FS9VISTA pops up an error message that FS9 has to shut down due to a conflict. All other aircraft in FS9 work fine. Any commentssuggestions would be most welcome.Thanks

This may be a Vista "permission" issue but it also may be a simple FS problem.I do not have Vista but there are a couple of basic things you might check anyway.Did you just copy the previous panels into the 737-400 and 747-400 folders?If so, those panels may have come with specific gauges which you did not re-install and that may be triggering an error message.If that is the case, I would recommend putting the gauges in the panel folder rather than in the FS Gauges folder. FS looks in the panel folder first for any required gauges. If you ever remove the aircraft you do not leave gauges behind using this method.The panels may have come with FSSound.dll also.If they did, it would need to be in your Modules folder and you most likely would need to add the following to your FS9.cfg file:square bracket OLDMODULES square bracketFSSound.dll=1Square brackets cannot be used here in the forum so replace the words with the actual square bracket. There are many such "labels" in your FS9.cfg file if you need an example.Just add the above to the bottom of your FS9.cfg file if you do not have the OLDMODULES label. If you do have that label just add the FSSound.dll=1 under it.FS will sort it properly the next time it is started.And of course check to see that you referenced the new panels properly in your aircraft.cfg file. Hope this helps.

Be double sure on the security stuff. It can be a pain. Every FS9 add on that I put in was run in compatibility mode when loaded.Better safe than sorry. Vista presents some real challenges. The 64 bit version is even harder to work around. I've not had the problem you mention, but it sounds like a permission problem or the planes are not set up properly. Usually, you will get a notification of a permission exception. Did you load the FS9 programin compatibility mode? Find the exe file and try running it in compatibility mode. It's a start.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I've been running Vista home premium now for a couple of months. Frankly, I like it very much. But I'd highly recommend simply turning UAC off all together unless you feel you absolutely need to have protection from yourself...I have had virtually no major issues installing or using anything since the first week or so when I was still learning my way around the OS.

Guest flightsimmernick

Would agree with the comments above. I quite like Vista and have had no major problems - a few little things but all seemd to be corrected when I disabled the user accounts.

Guest Osure66

Thanks all for your responses, will do as suggested and hopefully get FS9 running in VISTA.Regards to all :)