Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jagndeke

Stuttering clouds

Guest Jagndeke

FS9 runs perfectly on my vista machine with all settings maxed out except for stuttering clouds (low framrates with lots of clouds). No clouds = smooth as silk. A few clouds still = silky smooth. Bring in a few heavy clouds and then you notice a little framerate hit. All out storm clouds = a semi-slide show.I was wondering if anyone had any suggested tweaks or knows of a frame-rate friendly set of cloud files? I'd like to keep my settings at max if possible and solve the problem through a cloud mod file or other tweak.CheersJag

Do you use Active Sky? If so, try the various resolution settings in Active Sky Graphics. I currently use 256x256 medium quality with great results. If not, there are replacement textures around, in this library and elsewhere that will reduce the impact on FR and still look nice. The one I used to use before I purchased AS6 was FS Sky World (fsw2004.zip). Hope this helps.dolph

Guest Jagndeke

Thanks guys.Currently don't use AS. But I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens.Cheers,Jag

Guest DALTech_Ops

Hi Jim,I see where you and others suggest a 3D cloud percentage of 100 for folks experiencing cloud stutter issues. Is it safe to assume lowering this value actually increases stuttering issues? Just curious because one would be led to believe that lowering the percentage to say 50% would lessen stuttering. Seems counter-productive. Curious on your thoughts.Many thanks,Mitch

Guest Jagndeke

I tried all your suggested fixes guys and didn't have any luck improving cloud performance. Too bad cause otherwise this install on a vista system runs flawlessly. Only with the hewavier cloud cover does it stutter. Thanks all for giving it a go.CheersJag

Guest Jagndeke

Double post... sorry guys.CheersJag

Guest Jagndeke

>Hi,>>What are your system specs?>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/Quad core Q6600 2.42gb DDR3 ramATI HD2400ProHitachi 500GB SATA HDRealtek onboard soundI've been mulling over whether the onboard sound could be responsible for this but I'm leaning towards "no". I'm thinking that maybe a different version driver for the graphics card might help... but not sure which version to roll back to. On my XP system I used to have a favorite Omega driver that worked great but it looks like he isn't releasing any modded drivers for Vista yet.Any thoughts from your side would be appreciated.Cheers,Jag

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I don't think this is specifically a Vista issue. I'm running Vista Home Premium with an ATI HD 2600 XT (not great I know) and I do suffer the same performance problems under certain cloud situations (really only when you get those very heavy, thick overcast layers). However, I had the same problem on my previous system with XP and an Nvidia card. I always dreaded that one situation where the real weather download would give me that heavy cloud layer at about 3000 feet or so becuase I knew it was going to be a jittery mess. Usually when I see that I just end the flight and go to an airport in southern california or Hawaii... :)You might could try lowering the cloud display density to medium or low under those circumstances as visually it doesn't make much difference since you can't really see the clouds through the gray fog much anyway...

My system also has problems with clouds and frame rates.Windows XPIntel 3.2 EE single coreNvidia 7950GT 5122G of RAMI use Flight Environment for my clouds and my system is several years old, so clouds are what really drop my frame rate, but no so much as to make flying uncomfortable. Frame rates are around 12 FPS at the worst times with a PMDG aircraft in VC with weather being generated at a busy airport.But if you REALLY want to see frame rates tank, load up the 9 Dragons Kai Tak scenery. Even with detail set to medium, using the PMDG 747 in VC mode will get me a slide show of 6 FPS! EEEEEEK!One trick you might try is to set 'visibility' to around 20 to 30 miles and see if that helps. I know it's hazy, but hey, the sky's a dirty place anymore and it helps to hide the short draw distance for clouds in FS.Kim

Kim I don't know if this will help as it involves a little money...I had the exact same problem especially at Kaitak 9 Dragons, the 6-7 frames I was getting in vc with the pmdg 747 ,nil traffic,nil weather was driving me mad especially as I was seeing screenshots showing 20-21 frames at the checkerboard.My spec was similar to yours,p4 3.4/2gb/7950 gt.I decided to get an immediate upgrade to a dual core e6850 and motherboard,same card and memory.The difference is nothing short of astounding in my case,I'm now getting 22-24 locked 24 in vc with pmdg747, 9dragons on approach and all the way through to touchdown, AND with all slders maxed ,50% woai traffic,asv6.5 with clouds.I only wish I had upgraded long before.regards Jim

This is what I want to do except I'm stuck here waiting for the E8400, which is out of stock everywhere. I should have gotten it when it first came out...oh well, I may go for the alternative, the E6750.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI