Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

AI Traffic Mover .... aircraft speeds

In the AI Traffic Mover 'aircraft.txt' file, what speeds are supposed to be input? The speed the aircraft normally flies, ie. 485, 440, etc? Also, is this input in kts or mph? For the Concorde, I have input "1200", though I don't think the AI Concorde goes quite that fast. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Hi,For most flight plans put the True Airspeed at typical cruise. For the 737 and similar, the default 477 will do fine.If you use the @ symbol to force arrival times, then it should be about half that.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

It is my understanding that the "speed" reference is only used to estimate the flying time from departure to arrival - it in no way influences the actual performance of the AI aircraft.At least that is what I have been told by others with far more detailed knowledge than I.

If you're talking the aircraft.txt file of a flight plan you load into AITM and check - those speeds are not used by AITM.AITM uses it's own cnfiguration/ reference file to calculate estimated flight times, not those in the aircraft.txt file of the flight plans.

So it looks like the speeds which are most important are the ones in the aircraft.cfg file. I have my 737's set to cruise speed=450kts, my large widebodies set to 485 or 490, Concorde set to 1350. Using the @ forced ETA works very well for Concorde, now it's almost exactly on time.