Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

Disabling unused scenery can smoothen things up a bit.....

Hi AllFirstly, apologies if this has been mentioned before.When playing around with our old friend, filemon... http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/File...nload-3365.htmlI noticed that FS was processing an awful lot of third-party add-on scenery BGL files that were, based on the flight i was taking, totally unecessary. For example, when flying back from Vienna, i could see that a lot of BGL's from Aerosoft's Spanish Airports were being processed. I believe that FS will process all scenery files that are a set distance away from your aircraft (?)So now what i now do within scenery manager is only activate those airport scenery files that are relevant to the flight i'm taking and temporarily, disable all those that are not.Result, a lot less frame rate dips and a smoother flight.Gary

Guest JTEK99

>I believe that FS will process all scenery files that are a set >distance away from your aircraft (?)I've had similar experiences disabling "unused" scenery layers. The thing I've always wanted to know is what the distance mentioned above is. 100km? 500km?Anyone know?

I've seen FS9 process sceneries on the east coast when I was flying around Seattle. I suppose disabling it is one way to work around it. But at the same time, how many steps do we already have on our FS start up check list? stop services, weather, sky textures, ground textures, AI smooth, turn this on turn that off...... It's getting more complicated than starting a real 744. :)Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest JTEK99

windy:Yeah, admittedly, that can be a drag. But if you fly in certain "areas" or even continents for a greater amount of time than simply a single flight, then it doesn't have to be done all the time.

Every bgl file has header information at the start of the file with the lat and long area convered. FS uses this to build a database of .dat files to know which files to read for scenery. I think that addon files containing scenery object models (intended to be used as a library so that other files can actually place the objects) have world-wide scope and that is why they keep getting read.There is a program FSManager that can help. You have to run an appropriate "date fix" to make it work (author designed it so that it would stop working after a certain date and since left the hobby), but it is worth the effort. It has the feature of "scenery sets", so you can assign multiple scenery areas from scenery.cfg to a single set, and turn them all on or off at once. So you could create sets for different continents, for example.scott s..