Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Glen Copeland altitude alerter gauge question

Hello AllI am not new to installing gauges ie i have a lot of Glen Copeland's and they all work with no trouble,but the other day i installed Glen's Altitude Alerter gauge and i am having problems getting it to function properly ie the other day i climbed to ten thousand (the default setting for the gauge)and on reaching ten thousand it simply turned off and the click points disappeared and that was it.I reloaded the plane and the gauge was active again,but again on reaching ten thousand this time i did get the visual display,but not the sound warning.I have rechecked the installation notes and i am sure i have done it correctly so any ideas please.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Why not drop Glenn a note and ask him?I have always found him very receptive to feedback.He does spell his name with two n's.

>>Why not drop Glenn a note and ask him?>>I have always found him very receptive to feedback.>>He does spell his name with two n's.>> Thanks for that.Aplogies for miss spelling Glenn's name.I have been reluctant to E-mail software authors direct as they may not want pestering after all it is freeware we are talking about.cheers Andy

Andy:If you do so, please let us know what he says. I've never been able to get this one to work either, but since I almost always fly with FSPassengers and/or FDC Live Cockpit and both have automatic GPWS, it turned out not to be a real pressing issue.I would still like to know how to make this work in my small, GAs though.

>Andy:>>If you do so, please let us know what he says. I've never>been able to get this one to work either, but since I almost>always fly with FSPassengers and/or FDC Live Cockpit and both>have automatic GPWS, it turned out not to be a real pressing>issue.>>I would still like to know how to make this work in my small,>GAs though.Hello ChuckIf you have had problems as well at least i know its probably not something i have done in the installation process.I am going to try something else tonight and see if it has any effect.It is to do with how wave files are played back on my comp i am sure my default is the sounblaster external i use and the sound file in the alt alerter is windows media player file,so i have changed it to be played by soundblaster and will see what happens.This is an unusual problem because all Glenn's gauges that i use ie Ccommander,auto flaps,auto gear,timer have all performed flawlessly.(they also look good to)so i was convinced i had got something wrong in the install process,but i have double checked and i am sure i have got it right.I will see what happens tonight.cheers Andy

Same here, Andy. His work has never failed me and made my life much, much easier, so I was sure it was something I had done, or was wrong in my A/C. But since I have those other addon programs, it hasn't yet been worth my time to really try and sort it all out.I don't use an external card, but Windows Media is certainly not my default player, so et us know what you come up with -- I'd be very interested to know what gives.

>Same here, Andy. His work has never failed me and made my>life much, much easier, so I was sure it was something I had>done, or was wrong in my A/C. But since I have those other>addon programs, it hasn't yet been worth my time to really try>and sort it all out.>>I don't use an external card, but Windows Media is certainly>not my default player, so et us know what you come up with -->I'd be very interested to know what gives.Hello ChuckI am probably barking up the wrong tree,but you know what its like with these problems..I go into what i call Sherlock Holmes mode and try everything i can think off...sometimes it works!cheers Andy

Yes, I do, Andy. Did you see my post this morning on CHProducts Control Manager? Most times I feel we do much more tweaking and far less flying!

>Yes, I do, Andy. Did you see my post this morning on>CHProducts Control Manager? Most times I feel we do much more>tweaking and far less flying!Hello ChuckI have to admit i don't do that much tweaking anymore,but i also don't have many addons.I like to keep things simple and by doing that hopefully keeping the dreaded CTD at bay.(Haven't had any for a long time now).ADD ONSActiveskyFSGlobal SEADDON SCENERY Severn road bridge.Thats it.PS My latest attempts to get the altitude alerter to work failed so it looks like goodbye to that one.cheers Andy

ChuckI have just read your post about the fun and games you had with the CHProducts thingy.I FEEL YOUR PAIN.In the past i have had similar experiences ie your sim runs smoothly and well for ages and then out of the blue a bout of tweaking madness strikes and you mess and tinker and even tinker and mess and lo an behold the next time you try to load the sim and it won't or you load it and it crashes AGGH! Hope you get it sorted.cheers Andy

>Chuck>I have just read your post about the fun and games you had>with the CHProducts thingy.I FEEL YOUR PAIN.In the past i have>had similar experiences ie your sim runs smoothly and well for>ages and then out of the blue a bout of tweaking madness>strikes and you mess and tinker and even tinker and mess and>lo an behold the next time you try to load the sim and it>won't or you load it and it crashes AGGH! >Hope you get it sorted.>cheers Andy>Thanks, Andy. To paraphrase C3PO in Star Wars: occasional tweaking "Seems to be our lot in life!"Best regards!

>Hello Chuck>I have E-mailed Glen about the alt gauge.I will let you know>if i hear anything.>Cheers AndyHello ChuckGlenn was kind enough to reply to my query and this is what he said........Andy, This gauge uses a module provided by Doug Dawson to allow XML coders the ability to tap into Direct Sound. That's where the problem lies since my other gauges are silent. My only suggestion is to move the AltitudeAlerter1.wav file into the Sound folder of FS. The AltAlert_sound.ini file would have to be changed accordingly to point to this new location. This is just a stab in the dark. But, for some reason, the gauge is not finding the WAV file when the panel is loaded; therefore it does not play. You may also D/L Dawson's module and read how it works. That may give you an idea of what is wrong in your case. That file is dsd_xml_sound3_v37. Regards, Glenn I am afraid i am none the wiser,but as i don't want to pester the mani shall leave it at that unless of course either yourself or anybody else on the forums has any further ideas.cheers Andy

Thanks for checking Andy, and sorry, I've never been able to figure out the problem either. Fortunately for me I have terrific GPWS in both FSPassengers and FDC Live Cockpit, so I'm just going to take a pass on this gauge.Good luck! Let me know if you ever figure it out.