Sign in to follow this  
klemay

FSX back to FS9

Greetings all,After spending numerous hours of tweeking, removing and reinstalling drivers, defragging, etc; I've decided to remove FSX from my system and go back to FS9. My 2 yr old system just cannot handle FSX with the settings I prefer. Saying that, I am seeking opinions on what folks are using for:MeshTerrainEnvironmentWeatherI'd rather spend a "few" bucks on the above, instead of spending 300 plus on a new vid card, that I would probably have to spend more on updating my system to use said card!My current sys is:Dell XPS 400; dual core 2.6ghz cpueVGA 7950GT 512meg, PCIe graphics card with latest NvId drivers2 Gig ram22" Viewsonic LCD MonI can run fs9 on this sys with everything maxed out and maintain 20 FPS with very little "stutters" if at all.Thanks all!

Hi,Welcome back. :-hahAnd you are not alone. There are many simmers who goes back to FS9 for exactly the same reasons as you do. I am also one of them. FSX will not be installed on my system ever again. I am just waiting to see what FS11 will bring us as a completely new platform. :-)

Staffan[/font size]

http://www.scandicair.com/images/fs9_pilots_club.gifFlightsimmer since 1987Dell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo flashed to a X850 XT PE, Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0c, W XP Home with SP2, E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA, Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

Guest DK8290

FS2004 is still great!MeshTerrainEnvironmentWeatherThese are my choices to spruce up the FS world in general.- FSGenesis mesh- Ground Environment Pro for worldwide ground textures- Active Sky 6.5 for weather- Real Environment Pro - freeware - alters many environmental thingsUltimate Terrain for Canada and the USA are great. Adds roads, accurate coastal shapes and bodies of water and great 'real lights' night lighting UT Europe would be nice too but I don't have it (yet)

Guest Nealoc187

FSGenesis MeshGround Environment ProActiveSky 6.5Flight EnvironmentUltimate TerrainThose there are pretty universal, I'd bet that encompasses 90% of the non-aircraft addons that people have for FS9.

Gents,I really appreciate your resopnses! REX looks pretty interesting! Now off I go with Creidt Card in hand ;-)Ken L.

Guest ac772LR

Me too. At least on FS9 i get FPSs of 35, even at complex addon airports such as Frankfurt, London, Paris and Brussels. Simply put, I think FSX offers a great deal of potential, unfortunately, it will probably take an 8-core to run it flawlessly. I look forward to that, but for now, FS9 works well enough.Bill

Mesh - http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm (free)Terrain - lcus_09b6 landclass from FSG (free), NURoadsEnvironment - AEU7, AEU_mx and AEU8 (free), reality pack 1.2 (free), korbygen lite (free), a few addon airports like Deer Valley, AZ and KPHX and KABQ, ones I frequent.Weather - AS6 (purchased)dolph

Guest maccars

I made the same decision you did. I tried everything I could to get FSX to run just modestly. I finally realized I was going to have to spend a couple of grand just to get my hardware up to snuff, and still I wouldn't have "enough" processing capability to run FSX smoothly and reliably.So, for 10 bucks, I bought a copy of FS9 on sale and have been very happy with the results. Besides, I can now reliably fly online, and so very much in add-ons is freeware. I can wait on FS11, too.