Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max

A commentary on the most remarkable freeware yet......

Guest Max

Hello all,I seldom post on these forums but follow them closely. I have recently, however, encountered a freeware release which has inspired me to post this commentary expressing my gratitude for this amazing release. The freeware which I am refering to is the unbelievable Pro Team Tupolev TU-154. I believe that it is one of the most important releases of not only freeware developement, but of all payware AND simulator technology releases to date.Let me begin by describing why I believe this is so: The first is the unbelievable integration of so many flight simulator FIRSTS. Here are a few examples:-Realistic crew in the cockpit-External flight control program handles the actual simulator inputs based on the system's panel's state and logic.-Animations of visual model never seen before: Working AOA probe on fuselage, SMOOTH flap movement, spinning engine fans when engines off according to wind speed, SMOOTH wingflex...and realistic at that! and so on....-ULTRA real systems modeling. Including EVERY system, including weather radar, insanely complex Russian navigation system, GPS, gyros, APU, pressurization, etc etc etc.-Flight dynamics that I have cannot be beat by anything else I have flown in FS. (I buy em' all). -beautyful VC with ACTUAL 3D gauges....not screens, but a round ADI with the FD bars in front of it, and the airplane symbol in front too. Not just the ADI, but many gauges are like that. -Sounds are above superior. -Full cockpit crew conversations regarding every procedure which occurs, and if you can understand russian, a full interactive audible checklist. On top of all this, there is a custom, very detailed load planner with fuel calculator and distributor built in. There is also a custom flight planner for use with the onboard Russian navigation system, which can be put into automated mode simulating a navigator.AND THEN, there is a website with support in 5 different languages. And support that is quick and in depth. With all this comes a 200+ page manual with everything you need to fly a russian aircraft even if you cant read or understand Russian.Optional are the conventional syze panel, one for widescreen monitors, and one for dual monitors.And on and on and on.......You have to experience it for yourself. And experience you will! This bird steals less frames than the PMDG 744 or LVLD 767. I believe that the amount of work which has been freely released here is unprecedented....Freeware or payware. Some of the features incorporated are so spectacular, functional and realistic that they have never been seen or even dreamt of yet by any other. To the Pro Team which designed and built this complex software which, by the way, is used to train real TU-154 pilots, I bid a very sincere thank you. Thank you for bringing to this hobby such an unspoiled beauty of team effort, free collaboration for all to enjoy, irreproachable perfection, and dedication to this hobby. I bid you a most sincere Thank you, and I do hope that you know how much your efforts are appreceated by me, and the thousands of others like me who have been flying it every day since the release.Thank you.Maxget it here: http://www.fs-proteam.com/products.html?op...pw_patt=catalogPS Check out their awesome scenery as well!

Guest christian

It does look awesome, but when I want to download google warns me that the exe contains malware!As long as there is a question mark on this being malware I'll refrain from downloading this bird...Cheers,Christian

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I wouldn't trust google's word on anything malware-related, lol...I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Guest Nealoc187

Max - a question.When you fly the TU-154M, do you feel as though you have actually gotten a grasp of what all the different switches do (outside of simply memorizing a flow - This switch first, this switch second, this switch third - without really paying attention to their function?) What I mean is, if I were to ask you right now to go switch on most any switch without reference to a checklist or other help, do you think you could do it?I have downloaded the TU-154M but I'm currently too busy in real life to learn the aircraft. What has me worried though is the fact that I don't know russian, and will therefor just be "going through the motions" in flying the aircraft - memorizing the order in which the various switches have to be flipped - and not really understanding what is going on with the aircraft at all times like I can in a plane that I actually read the panels. I guess my basic question is, how much of a hinderance has not knowing russian (assuming you don't know russian) been to really understanding and getting the most out of the aircraft.

Guest Max

A good question indeed...Well the good thing is that it comes with a very good manual. There is a `quick startup`gude which not only goes through the procedures clearly, but explains why and what system with lots of images to make it clear. Also as you read through, the Cyrillic is deciphered and even russian pronunciation is included. So to answer your question, you get a good understanding of where what is and what it does very quickly and easily. And if you wish to know the full extent of the system`s functions, then there is full system descriptions of every system in another section of the manual. I went and spent 25 bucks at a print shop and had the whole thing printed and bound (in black and white, colour is not really necissary), and so when I have time, i read a few pages on what I want to know, and slowly but surely you get a firm grasp of it all. Give it a try, the challenge makes it all that much more rewarding!Max

I'd like to second Max's opinions and comments. Personally I feel that this is the best freeware aircraft ever produced.I know that many people feel intimidated by Russian and the Cyrillic alphabet but I honestly feel that an understanding of Russian is not necessary to use this aircraft. I must at this point admit that I can read Cyrillic and do have a very basic knowledge of Russian so I may be wrong here.I fully understand that some people may be put off by the length of the manual and the complexity of this aircraft. That's fair enough. However, I think that some people may be missing a great experience because it all looks a little intimidating at first. For me this was one of the very first aircraft that I had to learn to fly step-by-step. I started off flying manual circuits because the autopilot looked so complicated. As with many things in life, once you start to use it, it's not that difficult at all. And nor is the TU-154m. What it is, however, is very different to western aircraft.It's been great fun for me to learn to fly this aircraft - and I'm still learning new things. The support forum is friendly and helpful.If you enjoy older planes, if you want something completely different, if you are prepared to study (not just read) the manuals, you may just learn to love this freeware masterpiece.Oh! And yes, all the switches do 'things' - if you turn on too many systems you may overload the APU (BCY in Russian) and you'll not be able to start the engines. But then you can just check the engineer's panel to see what sort of load you putting on your APU :-) And don't forget to change the nosewheel steering from 55 deg to 10 deg when on the runway or you'll never get rid of the 'not ready for takeoff' light. And remember to switch it back to 55 deg after landing or you'll have problems taxiing off the runway :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest ha5mvo

>Max - a question.>>When you fly the TU-154M, do you feel as though you have>actually gotten a grasp of what all the different switches do>(outside of simply memorizing a flow - This switch first, this>switch second, this switch third - without really paying>attention to their function?) What I mean is, if I were to>ask you right now to go switch on most any switch without>reference to a checklist or other help, do you think you could>do it?>>I have downloaded the TU-154M but I'm currently too busy in>real life to learn the aircraft. What has me worried though>is the fact that I don't know russian, and will therefor just>be "going through the motions" in flying the aircraft ->memorizing the order in which the various switches have to be>flipped - and not really understanding what is going on with>the aircraft at all times like I can in a plane that I>actually read the panels. >>I guess my basic question is, how much of a hinderance has not>knowing russian (assuming you don't know russian) been to>really understanding and getting the most out of the>aircraft.An attempt was made in the manual to address just that, namely to try and associate a switch or gauge to its function - at least as far as the tutorials go. There was also an attempt to try and explain the operation flow so it makes some logical sense rather than just "flip switch #1 and 2, then #3 and 4". After all, on a familiar panel your eyes will seek the battery switch, not the label (in english or otherwise) that reads "Battery".Obviously, with the degree of complexity (and the sheer number of switches) this familiarisation process may take some time. On the other hand, nothing about FS is quantum physics. With some effort the language becomes a none-issue. There are quite a few non russians on the PT boards who would attest to that.

Sjeesus!A true work of art, but overwhelming indeed. It looks to me starting up a Martian saucer or something!Nothing, except for a few instruments look familiar, the rest is mythical abracadabra. Studying the manual is mandatory!Well, back on board I go to give it another shot!JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE..http://www.jdserver.mine.nu/johan

Guest weeniemcween

Someone else suggested this before:Those having issues with the Russian might try the Czech version first. It is less intimidating to see a familiar latin alphabet and some words are similar to english.

>Someone else suggested this before:>>Those having issues with the Russian might try the Czech>version first. It is less intimidating to see a familiar latin>alphabet and some words are similar to english. But if you speak Polish the Czech seems very funny ;-) Just joking - good point. Some Russian words are also similar to English. Avtomat for automatic for example. To be honest though that's all I can think of for now :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Anyone know why most the download links don't work? I want the wide panel.

Am I seriously the only one getting a 403 error when I try to download anything other than the main package?

Nope, I also can only get 403 errors. Perhaps they're having trouble with the host.

Guest ha5mvo

There were/are some problems, especially with the mirror site, so the best I can suggest is to try it from time to time.