Sign in to follow this  
Guest lawyerpilot

$50 -- a serious challenge to the Avsim community!!!

Guest lawyerpilot

Two years ago, I began flying in the real world after flying sims for about 15 years. FLY and MS were instrumental in saving me thousands of dollars in training as well as keeping me proficient, now that I have my instrument rating, and am about to complete my commercial and multiengine. I am now in my second year of law school and have decided that the rest of my life will be devoted to aviation. Teaching aviation law classes, working in the business of aviation, utilizing my law degree to help pilots, etc. And simming has helped me come to this realization. Particularly after getting the chance to take a 3 hour ride in Boeing's Full Motion MD-11 and MD-90 sim in Long Beach last week.Why do I tell this story. Very little of this could have been possible, or if it was, it would have been much later, had it not been for the efforts of Mr. Harvey and the MS team. So, I make this challenge. I am a law student, scraping by, trying to afford flying and living while going to school. With that being said, I have contributed $100 to the Richard Harvey Scholarship Fund. I expect that I will donate a total of $500 by month end. As the goal is only $10,000 initially for a self-sustaining scholarship, I challenge everyone here to match my contribution at only a 10% level. Many of you have salaries, as I did two years ago, and if we are truly dedicated to the simulation and real world community, and helping other college age individuals to realize our enjoyment and passion, than there is no better way, short of becoming a flight instructor.I know the budget constraints that many face, but I challenge each and every one of you to donate $50 by April 1st. That means with only 200 of the 6000 registered members, or 5% participation, we will meet the goal!!!!!WE HAVE THIS CAPABILITY.......I could go on, but I will leave it at that. We all have dreams and aspirations, and it is those who give, who receive something back."Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."Christopher Michael BraunP4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -220 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association

YES!This is indeed a worthwhile effort. I just went to the AVSIMhome page, and in minutes, using PayPal, contributed $50.00.I too started with Fly!/Fly!2/Fly! II and now FS2K2.It was because of Richard Harvey's Fly! series I became interestedin flight simming. I've have learned so, so much about aircraft,flight details, etc. It's a fascinating hobby.Regards,JerryG

Guest lawyerpilot

While I have nothing at stake, other than an interest in aviation, let me be the first to thank you. Let's fill this post up in the next week or two with like minded souls....You can then look back in a couple of years and say "I actually built that scholarship at Embry Riddle!"Christopher

Guest lawyerpilot

See it's easy...I have already been emailed committments from a number of people!....We're almost there. Can someone from the Avsim staff give a ballpark as to how much money was in the fund as of today? I would guess it was already at about $1000-2000, so we only need about 160 more people, maybe less if I underestimated!!!Come on, let's keep it going!!!!Christopher

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Count me in. I just left PayPal where I increased my previous donation so that the total now is $50.00 I was also touched by the Rich Harvey magic. What an absolute gem of a person. A tragic loss. Great idea, CMB, even though you are on the road to perdition. Lawyers...Ugghhh! (:-)Larry J.Florence, MT

Guest lawyerpilot

Larry, thank you very much for your help. Trust me, I'm going to be one of the good ones...defending pilots and aviation companies against frivolous lawsuits.....:)Let these few inspire the masses. There are 6400 of us out there..... Just need 150.....Thank you again!Christopher Michael Braun

Guest lawyerpilot

TWO PERCENT OF THE MEMBERSHIP IS ALL WE NEED! EVEN JUNK MAIL HAS A GREATER RESPONSE RATE.....AND THAT IS TO A RELATIVELY POORLY TARGETED DEMOGRAPHIC......WE ARE ALL PILOTS HERE....Simmers or RW....EVEN THOSE WHO CAN CONTRIBUTE $10 ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!POST HERE IF YOU ARE WILLING TO PLEDGE OR MAKE THE COMMITMENT TODAY..... THIS POST SHOULD HAVE THE MOST VIEWS AND REPLIES OF ANY POST THIS YEAR....IT IS BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT....MORE IMPORTANT THAN TRYING TO INCREASE THE SHINE ON YOUR 747.....Let's show Richard Harvey and the Aviation Community that we care!Thank you again, Christopher Michael Braun"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -215 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association

Guest lawyerpilot

Bump ----you're telling me that opinions on the new 757's is going to get 4x the views of a man's passing? C'mon guys....

Christopher,I am in. Couldn't be for a better cause or in memory of a nicer guy.Thanks for the challenge.Tom

Okay, I'm in for $50. The goal is too close to let it slip by.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest BMarcoux

Going over to drop in 50.00 now. Good Idea!!!

Guest lawyerpilot

Excellent! It appears that in less than 6 hours, we are about a thousand dollars closer! That would mean we only need about 140-145 more individuals. Down from 175 almost 6.5 hours ago!!!Great work everyone....keep posting here if you are going to donate so that we can encourage others to do so as well! It is a great cause!Christopher

Guest lawyerpilot

How about Wilco - $100 - that's only two customers!!!!Phoenix Simulations - $100Flight one - $100Active Sky - $50FsMeteo - $50Real Air Simulations - $50Vans Air Group - $50Abacus - $100Dreamfleet - $100FsFlightmax - $100FSGenesis - $100Ariane - $100That's worth 20 more people right there.I know I have forgotten many. But, the companies should be throwing in $50-100 immediately. How about $250 from MS for God Sakes - Email them!!!!! Tell them they will be supporting future pilots at Embry Riddle.We just need to lobby a bit.Email these companies and tell them that they should donate. They would not have had a business if it were not for the FLY or MS platform in the first place.

Christopher, thank you very much for your efforts in rallying the troops. I know all of us on the staff want very badly to see the scholarship do well and become self-sustaining.It is the best way to help honor Rich and also help out a new person coming into to flying that needs a little help. The aviation industry certainly could use the shot in the arm and this is a great way for the simming community to try to help out.Thanks again.P.S. Thought I'd give you a hand by anchoring this thread you started.

Guest etanin

There is nothing I can say other than I'm in there also.Add $50.00 more, boy if I just think of all the bad or unsupproted addons I have spent money on over the years.This will have an ever lasting feeling for me. Unlike bad software. Well worth the price.Come on lets all help out!