Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

FS9 Virtual Cockpit... how to get rid of it

I'm using different panels for my default 747-400 but the virtual cockpit detracts from it. Is there any way to get rid of the VC in the default aircraft?

No. VCs are part of the aircraft models and they are not modifiable. Why don't you look into some freeware 744 models in the library? You can fine a much better looking model without VC with better flying characteristics.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest 28right

Like windycloud says, an addon aircraft may be the way to go and there's several great freeware 747's available. Assuming you have not done so before, adding aircraft is really super easy (once you get the hang of it) and it can be addictive to say the least!

Guest Mike_Luchia

Actually, removing the VC can be done, as explained by Douglas K in this thread. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=14057&page=4I would not however recommend messing with any of the default aircraft as they are also used for AI and I have no idea how this might effect their performance. If you have removed the default AI file then go ahead and give this a try. As usual, backup all files that you are going to be changing before this, just incase you get unexpected results.Mike Luchiamluchia@telus.net

Mike & Speedbyrd- As you say Mike - can be done via that method. Here is a screenshot of the King on triple monitors with the virtual garbage deleted- makes a big improvement! And a VERY large (50+%)improvement to frame rate!!!!Alex Reid CYYJDefault KingAir holding at R09 CYYJhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185919.jpg

>Actually, removing the VC can be done, as explained by>Douglas K in this thread.>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=14057&page=4>>I would not however recommend messing with any of the default>aircraft as they are also used for AI and I have no idea how>this might effect their performance. If you have removed the>default AI file then go ahead and give this a try. As usual,>backup all files that you are going to be changing before>this, just incase you get unexpected results.>>Mike Luchia>mluchia@telus.netDang! That was easy! Just a couple of quick clicks and that ugly VC is gone! Hex Workshop saves the day. Thanks!

Guest LeeWang

Their are two ways to get around the VC issue, but it boils down to what you want.Do you want too see taxi/landing lights from the 2D panel at night? If you remove the VC, you will loose your lights. But if you don't care about the lights, then you have two options:1. In the FS9.cfg, under the "Graphics" section you can change SEE_SELF=1 to SEE_SELF=0 and this will remove all the VC's from all your aircraft, also removing your lights.2. Or you can hack the MDL file to remove the VC. This requires some work, and a hex editor. So, before doing that, you might want to check out this file here at AVSIM: no_vc_default_models.zip which claims to have removed the VC on all default aircraft. (I have not tested it however).OrIf you want to keep your landing/taxi lights at night, and you want to use 2D sideviews, then you can play with the aircraft.cfg file and move your point of view forward and up, so your point of view is well out of the VC. See this thread on how to do that:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchLee

Guest LeeWang

Excellent. I was always under the assumption, that when the VC was removed, the Landing/taxi lights (When viewed from inside the 2D cockpit) were removed as well... Guess not.Lee

Nice shot. But what does it look like when you use the hat switch and say look left?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Clutch- Click on the left screen to set focus- then left Hat Switch gives you View Left. Key Num KB 7 to restore to View LFwd. Simple!Once you've flown with a 48" wide horizon, you'll never go back to "tunnel vision"!! My goodness, if your real vision was only 90

>Excellent. I was always under the assumption, that when the>VC was removed, the Landing/taxi lights (When viewed from>inside the 2D cockpit) were removed as well... Guess not.>>LeeI stand corrected. You lose the inside view of the lights. You can see them from exterior view but not from inside. Guess you can't have everything.

Speedbyrd- same here, no landing lights after deleting virtual graffiti. But a small price to pay for the improved views AND a spectacular gain in frame rate!Don't understand why ALL designers don't include a "delete virtual" option. Some do, so it's not impossible.Alex Reid

yea, I guess it depends on how much effort you want to put into it. But you're right... it's small price to pay. If your airport has lighted taxiways and with 'progressive taxi' it's not hard to find your way around at night.

>Don't understand why ALL designers don't include a "delete>virtual" option. Some do, so it's not impossible.I totally agree, Alex.The only way to go, if you ask me, it to include two models to choose from the aircraft menu:-the wing view model (2D panel only)-the vc modelFortunately, some of the good stuff do have them (like Level-D 767-300ER, PMDG 737NG, FeelThere 737).Others too but without wings modelled (PMDG 747).Just my two cents.Best regards,Rafal