Sign in to follow this  
Guest brandyman

textures

Guest brandyman

I have heard many times to put ALL textures into the main texture folder, I do this, it works well. But what about aircraft textures??? do they also go into the main texture folder???Brandyman

Aircraft textures are what displays the particular painting of the aircraft - example: texture.AA (in the aircraft's folder) would most likely display the aircraft with an American Airlines look.These are NOT to be confused with other types of textures which are used for a wide variey of things such as buildings, ground covers etc. etc. Aircraft textures must stay with the associated aircraft as they are the "skins" which can be choosen to cover the base model.Any aircraft may have a number of different texture sets; each is unique and represents a different paint scheme. These are often referred to as a "paints".Hope that helps clear it up for you.

David, you seem to have helpful advise on a LOTS and LOTS of subjects. Do you ever find the time to FLY? jerrycwo4

Well my wife seems to think that is all I ever do!Seriously, much of what I have "learned" has come from fellow simmers and much of it was incorporated into the Tips and Tricks for FS2004 series which I compiled for some two years (24 issues in all available here and at Flightsim).That series is over so I do get a chance to "fly" a bit more now, but I still seem able to learn something new about our common "addiction" almost every day.

I also have a couple questions about the main texture folder.I would think that the difference between textures in the main folder and textures in it's respective scenery folder would make a difference in the sense that a texture in the main folder gets loaded in memory no matter what, even if you are not flying close to that part where it is used whereas a texture found in it's respective scenery folder would only get loaded if within sight. Can you validate this? If it's the case it would be better to have them inside their respective folder.My other concern with the main texture folder. If you download two airports for example made by two different people. Both contain a texture file that has the same name but obviously contains different graphics for example a file named main.bmp. These should not go in the main folder as it can only contain one file named main.bmp. I find it becomes hard to manage this having 120 or so airports installed. And if my other theory is true, it would be better to have them in their respective scenery folder.Please someone de-mystify this for me!!! :(Thanks!Marc

Guest franksalot

Hi David, this Topic gives me a chance to thank you for the great work you do for Flight Simmers. I can't remember how many years ago it was when I 'found' David 'Ops' Marshall's Tips and Tricks'. It's helped me more times than I can 'shake a stick at' :)Just Last week I 'found' the Exclude program which helped my to clear trees and buildings from taxiways etc. Absolutely fantastic.Best regards,Ken

You are most welcome -I try to give back a little as so many gracious simmers helped me so very much when I first became hooked. My early questions were pretty basic (read "dumb") but many "old hands" took pitty on me and steered me on the right path.

In my opinion the only textures you would place in FS9texture are those that you would want to have a global impact.I am not an expert, but it would seem logical that FS would answer texture calls by first looking in the texture folder associated with the scenery folder containing the .bgl file making that call.That is why I keep all textures in their "local" texture folder.Also, due to the file name issue it makes sense to me not to dump all textures into the main texture folder. As Marc said, 2 texture .bmp's of the same name may not be identical causing display anomalies.And I also would like to thank "Opa" for all his help that he has given to me personally, and the sim community as a whole. David, you are an example of all that is good about being involved in a community such as ours.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif