Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speedbyrd

KLAX ... runway configuration for landings/takeoff

I'm using AI Smooth and want to configure the LAX runways for proper landing and departures as close to real life as I can. Are all 4 runways used for both landings/departures or are they split up 2 each or?? I guess it changes depending on conditions but just wondering if anyone knew what they're basic procedure was. Not sure where to find that. Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I know that. That wasn't the question. Question was, in real life, does anyone know how they configure the runways at LAX for landing/departures. For example, do they us 6L/6R/24R/24L for take offs, then us 7L/R 25L/R for arrivals. I was going to configure my AFCAD the way it's done in the real world.

>I know that. That wasn't the question. Question was, in real>life, does anyone know how they configure the runways at LAX>for landing/departures. For example, do they us 6L/6R/24R/24L>for take offs, then us 7L/R 25L/R for arrivals. I was going>to configure my AFCAD the way it's done in the real world.I don't know the answer to your question but I just posed it on a real world aviation forum that has lots of commercial pilots on it. I'm a pilot myself but I'm sorry to say that I'm a midwesterner so I've never been into or out of KLAX except as a passenger. I'll report back when I have an answer to relay to you. I'd like to set my KLAX (and all my major airports that I frequent) to real world configuration as well.

I haven't gotten an answer on the forum I posted the question on, but according to this USAToday article about safety at KLAX from 2005 -http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-1...f-runways_x.htm- the outer runways are used for landings and the inner runways are used for departures. So that'd be:Arrivals - 25L 24R 6L 7RDepartures - 25R 24L 6R 7L

Although there will be exceptions (aren't there always) - for the most part KLAX uses the outboards for arrivals and the inboards for departures. This holds true whether the airport is landing west or east.So:25L/24R for arrivals and 25R/24L for departures when LAX is 'west'.7R/6L for arrivals and 7L/6R for departures when LAX is 'east'.Night operations (0000-0700 local) are a totally different matter. Arrivals are made to the east (usually 6L) and departures are made to the west (usually 25L). This pertains when the winds are below about 10 knots (regardless of wind direction) IIRC - it's the night 'noise-abatement' procedure.Qualifier: I spent about a year and a half working at LAX TRACON (LA Approach)back in the mid 80's.Also, just found this on the VATSIM ZLA site - http://www.laartcc.org/operating_procedure...ntrol+%28TWR%29Look under paragraphs 5 - d - 1,2 and 3.Gene

I must have guessed right as that's the way I have them set up. Thanks for the input!

>Although there will be exceptions (aren't there always) - for>the most part KLAX uses the outboards for arrivals and the>inboards for departures. This holds true whether the airport>is landing west or east.>>So:>25L/24R for arrivals and 25R/24L for departures when LAX is>'west'.>7R/6L for arrivals and 7L/6R for departures when LAX is>'east'.>>Night operations (0000-0700 local) are a totally different>matter. Arrivals are made to the east (usually 6L) and>departures are made to the west (usually 25L). This pertains>when the winds are below about 10 knots (regardless of wind>direction) IIRC - it's the night 'noise-abatement' procedure.>>Qualifier: I spent about a year and a half working at LAX>TRACON (LA Approach)back in the mid 80's.>>Also, just found this on the VATSIM ZLA site ->http://www.laartcc.org/operating_procedure...ntrol+%28TWR%29>Look under paragraphs 5 - d - 1,2 and 3.>>Gene>Were you a controller? One of my best buddies works at ZAU.

I was at ZLA (LA ARTCC) for a couple of years. Then transferred to the training department at LA TRACON for a year and a half. Left there to go back to flying airplanes.Unfortunately, don't do that anymore either....... :( :( :( Gene

>I was at ZLA (LA ARTCC) for a couple of years. Then>transferred to the training department at LA TRACON for a year>and a half. Left there to go back to flying airplanes.>>Unfortunately, don't do that anymore either....... :( :( :( >>Gene>Interesting. My buddy left flying airplanes to go work at Chicago Center.