Sign in to follow this  
BlueString

AI Smooth V2

. . . and by spacing out aircraft on final allows AI in the takeoff queue to interleave with arriving AI.When you load or create a flight in FS, AI has a time window (+/- 15 minutes I believe) that AI flights will use to depart from their scheduled time. You will see AI with minimal separation start taxiing to the active runways in a steady stream. Similarly, scheduled AI pop-up around some radius of their airport and bunch up on arrival causing congestion on arrival.All of this leads to backup of the take-off queues. FS does seem to hold AI at the hold short points when AI are still quite a way out on final. I've also noticed when AI spotting that some AI are not separated enough and some go around.AI Smooth can also help with your arrival allowing you to squeeze in to a dense "string of pearls" situation.How much of an effect you see depends on how much AI you've got and what percent you are running AI at, plus the type of airport you are at.I've got Ultimate Traffic 2004 and with its real world schedules has lots of AI at dense airports so this can be a problem. Even if you refresh AI when you start taxiing to the runway by the time you get there there still could be quite a backup depending on your taxi time and the airport layout.

>>>>Can someone tell me if this can be used "in reverse"? ie, to>make the time before deletion shorter - like 2.5 minutes...>>GeoffAs far as I know it cannot be used to shorten the default AI timeout length - but why would anyone want to?

It's a must have for those that run with alot of custom AI traffic.

> - but why would anyone want to?>Thanks. I was just wondering if a subtle decrease in this time would reduce the aircraft waiting at the runway. Most of the time it's ok but just sometimes when a crosswing RWY is in use, the witing time for TO can be a bit too long...The current way I try to solve this is to let the sim run for 30 minuted or so before I intend to use it but obviously that isn't always a reasonable thing to do!Geoff

>>The current way I try to solve this is to let the sim run for 30 minuted or so before I intend to use it but obviously that isn't always a reasonable thing to do!The heck with that - it takes too long to set up a flight as it is. If I don't want to wait in line I just go up to the menu, reset AI to 0%, go back to the taxiing for a second and then reset my AI again to 40% or whatever I want it at, and FS9 resets it. The only thing I lose doing it that way is the wait in line! :-)Check out this thread on how to do this while in flight. It's come in very handy! << http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=24540 >>

Hi,A simple thing to do to avoid the line is to taxi up to the first runway entrance *beyond* the end of the runway and ask for takeoff clearance from there (i.e. an intersection takeoff). You will be the next plane to get clearance.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest JTEK99

Chuck:Another "cool" way of dealing with a hefty line (or even an aircraft in front of you on final to the same runway) is to use FSUIPC's new "Traffic Zapper". Not certain, but I think it's only usable with the registered version.In short, by assigning the "zapper" function to a joystick/yoke button, you can simply press it and any aircraft in its "cone" of recognition will be "zapped" into non-existence. The cone is basically a finite space in front of the aircraft, so it has some basic limitations. But it's fast, easy and it makes a cool sound when an aircraft gets zapped(hehe); and it has the ancillary benefit of not having to eliminate all the other traffic in the air or on the ground.Check the latest FSUIPC manual for FS9 for further information.

I will! I have the registered version of FSUIPC and have not heard a word about this. I will definately check it out! And Tom's suggestion of taxiing into position at the leading taxiway to get clearance first works too. Two problems with it though: if you're taking off heavy you may need the whole runway, and 2) I've never like line cutters! :-)

Guest LeeWang

Well, I've been flying FS2004 since it was released, and never had issues with atc vectors to final before (vectored way out). ATC traffic has not changed either for years. It was only after trying AI Smooth that I started having these very strange vectors to long final. Either way, after several tests (flying IFR) I only get the long final vectors when using AI smooth... So,,, Lee

I was going to upgrade to version 1.2 from 1.11, But the 1.11 seems to work great for me. Anyone know the advantages in upgrading to V 1.2?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

As far as I'm concerned there are no advantages. Any problems I've ever had with AI Smooth, albeit minimal, all started right after I installed v1.2. I wouldn't recommend it. -- stick with version 1.11.By the way, can you PLEASE email me a copy of v1.11?? IM me and I'll send you my email address.

Apparently the only diff is that 1.2 also works with FSX - the author does not indicate any other changes.

Thanks, guys! I did that a few months ago and didn't find anything. Probably transposed a couple of letters or something.Best regards,Chuck