Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jayviator

Is it really difficuilt to make your own repaints?

Guest Jayviator

I would like to make some repaints from my shorts 330 and 360 (for guernsey airlines and british air ferries and air UK) i have the guernsey airlines for my 330 but its in the livery before it changed to the one that i remeber the 330s that used to come into eastleigh airport, i have the correct guernsey, british air ferries and air UK liveries for my viscount herald and F-27 and i wish it could be so siple as to just add those liveries to the 330 and 360! i have a feeeling its probably very difficuilt to do repaints, esspecialy for someonme as computer challenged as i am!

Hello,Repaints are not that difficult to do. There are a few tools you need that are all freeware. I have found that the hardest part of repainting lies in the understanding of the various tools, functions etc. but the learning curve for these tools is not that steep.I use these;1. Imagetool - comes with FS2. Dxtbmp - By Martin Wright3. Paint program - Like paint shop pro or other.Most times I just end up using Tools 1 and 3 for Aircraft and tools 1 and 2 for scenery.Hope this helps a little.Douglas

Depends on how computer challenged you really are - If you have a working copy of FS and are able to install add-on aircraft etc and even think about repainting them then you can't be too bad ;)I would suggest you get hold of the following programs:DXTBmp (MWGraphics) - Allows you to convert textures files into something you can edit as a normal file and then convert back againFSRepaint (Abacus) - You only need the demo version to use as a viewer - faster than reloading FS each time you make a changeGraphics Editor (of your choice) - There are free ones available and MS Windows has MS Paint but I prefer to use Paint Shop Pro (which I have for work) as it has a lot more functionality...Armed with these you can either start from a published "paintkit" (but these sometimes need PSP or Photoshop to open them) or you can try modifying an existing texture* to see how it all works.* It's not really ok to modify someone else's textures without permission but if it's for your own use only or just for learning how to do repaints then I think its probably ok... I'd better take cover now :)Have fun,Geoff[EDIT] And while I wrote that, old doggie wrote the same in far fewer words and beat me to it !

Guest Jayviator

Thanks for your help, so theres actually a programne for painting aircraft that comes with FS? how do i find that?

Guest wji

"how do i find that?"Google: fsrepaint maybe?

Here is a link to the Terrain SDK within which is the Imagetool.http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/f...n_sdk_setup.exeVery simple to install. Imagetool is a standalone app.If you want a wealth of info on repainting I suggest you check out the The Paint Shop - The Aircraft Painter's Forum, located right here on Avsim, just scroll down the forums list.Douglas