Sign in to follow this  
Guest jalt001

EZ-Scenery add-ons slow Frame Rate

Guest jalt001

Here's a question that has probably been asked many times, but I looked and couldn't find my exact problem. Here's my system:2.8 Ghz Pentium1 GB RAM (upgrading to 3, but it hasn't arrived yet)Radeon 1800 Pro 128 MBWith this system I can turn all graphic settings to full and get about 50 FPS on average. I can fly over the some of the thickest default scenery without much loss in FPS. I recently bought EZ-scenery to give a little reality to my hometown "farmers field" airstrip. Nothing fancy...I just added t-hangar a barn and a house. When I first come in to view of this new scenery the FPS drops as low as 1 just for a second and then returns to about 50. Even if I lower the terrain texture and other graphic settings to "unbearable" the same thing happens. I think it is because it needs to load the new 3-d models from the hard disk (this is the reason I bought more RAM).So my question is why would simple add-on graphics be more problematic than more complex default scenery? How can I make it better? Will more RAM help.Thanks and sorry it's so long for a 1st post.

Guest wji

That's a strange one . . . I've used EZ-S since it came out without any issues you describe.Having said that, not all scenery-model textures are created equal and certain ones -- depending upon the fileformat; e.g., DXT1, 256color, etc., -- can cause serious problems; including, C2D.Perhaps, naming the specific files used and from which Libary could isolate the problem.

Guest jalt001

OK. Let me add that I also modified the airstrip slightly with AFCAD2. I assumed that this wasn't a factor but just in case... Again, no huge changes, just lengthened the strip a little and added a small taxiway.Here are the EZ-scenery files and libraries I have now:AB-Buildings: AB_1_JLShed AB_House A AB_House CGeneric.bgl: ag_barn (I thought this was the culprit and deleted it with no improvement)Add on libraries I downloaded at avsim. I had the problem before I added these libraries:EZ Scenery Small Airport Objects 3 (with fix)Small_airport_objects_3.bgl 99180e0d49a9e577355126858aa04b3d t-hangar GA Planes for EZ-Scenery:ga_planes.bglc22123f642d5dbbceedef78f4fb987f5 172 Blue Stripe

Guest jalt001

Ooops the video card is 256MB, not 128.

I agree with some of the other answers to your post -I have used EZ and Instant Scenery (now my object placer of preference) since they both became available without such issues - IF the objects I use have properly constructed textures.The FS default objects should present no problem but you may find some libraries which are problematic.As an example, Sidney Schwartz - who has made many object libraries available online - has recently uploaded updates with revised textures to overcome some of the "bluries" some have experienced when using his objects. I am no expert on the subject but I would suspect your frame rate drop is related to the format the object textures use.The changes you made with the Afcad program should have no bearing on decreased frame rates.There are many, many object libraries available for download here so you might want to try some other similiar objects and see if they affect your system as the ones you are presently using do.

Guest jalt001

Ok Thanks for the input.Based on the responses here, this is what I did. First I deleted the .bgl file I created with EZ scenery in the add-on scenery/scenery folder. I left AFCAD changes in place. Then, I flew around the area--no problems. Then I used EZ-Scenery to add 1 default house (AB-Buildings: AB_House C). The stuttering returned. It wasn't as bad as when I had a few add-ons but it was obvious. Next, I tried a different airport that was more scenery heavy, but without add-ons. Again--no problems.

Try this:Open Ezs, delete all the buildings you added to the scenery, go into the library selector on the top left of the ezs panel, deselect everything but default FS libraries, choose "generic.bgl" and replace your buildings and objects from that library only, close FS, reopen FS and check for stutters and frames. If things return to normal, you were just selecting highly complex frame-robbing objects. If you still are taking a major hit, there is some conflict somewhere. I would re-install EZS and contact Abacus.

Guest jalt001

OK. I tried that. Worked like a charm. After that, I experimented with different add-ons and tracked the problem down to objects from EZ-scenery's libraries (not sure if it's all objects or just a few). Seems odd that these objects would cause problems, but I can work around it. Thanks