Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

Radeon 9700 Pro and shimmering

jerrycwo4I just finished upgrading my computer from a duel AMD 1800+ (2 CPU's) with a TI500 video card to a AMD 2600+ (single CPU) with the ATI Radeon 9700 PRO video card and I AM SO DISPPOINTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a better picture before the $800 update. Has anyone figgured out how to stop the SHIMMERING of the textures? Please, PLEASE, tell me. Thanks jerry

Guest ront1

Look back a page or two.Ron

What shimmering? I have a 9700 Pro and don't see any shimmering except for the treetops but that happens on all videocards.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest PaulL01

>What shimmering? I have a 9700 Pro and don't see any >shimmering except for the treetops but that happens on all >videocards. Errrmmmm, No Jimmy.Me trees Don't Shimmer, only me ladies! :)

I started a thread on this on the next page or so. Let's see if we can figure it out. Which drivers are you using? What settings (AA, AF, etc.) are you using? Are you using any tweak software like Rage3DTweak? Try dropping the mipmapping level to Quality or Performance rather than High Quality. I had some shimmering with a previous Geforce GTS so some of this may be the programming of FS2002.Randall

Guest Bigshot

I initially had some shimmering or twinkling in the trees when running all quality settings. Tried about everything to get rid of it or minimize it. Thought it had something to do with Alpha textures. Then I switched to 16xAF (Performance) from Quality 16xAF with 4xAA and turned the mipmap down to quality. Running at 16x12x32 with frames locked in low twenties and now I seldom see any twinkle at all. Every once in a while, I'll see some twinkle in the trees; but no aliasing anywhere else. Usually when running a demanding panel and then only during mid day flights. Problem is the picture is so perfect, you notice any little flaw. I'm running original drivers. One thing you gotta remember is FS has an old DX7 terrain engine from what I understand. CFS2 and IL2 are crystal clear all the time. Same with my racing sims.The originater of this thread may very well have some old driver remnants left causing the problem or something in his configuration causing it. I've seen a couple others complain about poor performance and poor image quality before at www.rage3d.com and I think they eventually figured out what was causing the problems.