Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Adding ILS with AFX Airport Facilitator

I believe you're supposed to be able to add ILS's to FS9 using the Faciliatator. I can indeed at them, but they don't seem to tune in. Example, runway 22R at KEWR is supposed to tune in at 110.75 but when I line up with the runway, nothing happens when I tune NAV 1 to this frequency. When I check the navaids, the ILS shows to be there. Have I missed something? Thanks

Guest RonB49

Is your NAV/GPS switch in the NAV position? Does ILS 22L (108.7, I believe) work normally? R-

interesting you say that. I'm noticing it seems to have more to do with the plane/panel I use. This mostly occurs with Airbus jets using the FSPANELSTUDIOS panels. Can the panel affect whether you tune in to an ILS properly?

These ILS (LOC/GS/VOR) instruments generally respond to raw data (the navaids) if they are set up that way. FS Panel Studio is a primarily a panel designer, not as much a gauge designer.If some aircraft are responding and others not you could also check the aircraft.cfg and look for these lines:{Radios}// Radio Type = available, standby frequency, has glide slopeAudio.1 = 1Com.1 = 1, 1Com.2 = 1, 1Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0Adf.1 = 1Transponder.1 = 1Marker.1 = 1and make sure the NAV devices are defined correctly.Note that ILSs created with AFCAD and AFX will not be used by AI aircraft. Those must be designed into special scenery elements.If your Airbus instruments are not designed for standard raw data, they will not see your added ILS.There is a freeware program that I have not used yet called ILS Creator that in conjunction with AFCAD or AFX will add both types of scenery elements. This creator generates XML scenery source code that you must compile to a .bgl file using the Microsoft XMLBGL utility or whatever it is called. For some airport Jim Vile (jvile) has already done this work so search for his name in the libraries here.

Hey thanks! This is really useful. AFX has help with some of the raw ILS issues. I was finding that some runways were set up with the wrong ILS IDENTS or none at all. Got those fixed and things looking better. I'll check the RADIOS in my airbus panel.thanks again!

I don't know about AFX, but I have found problems with AFCAD after adding a new ILS, if you need to go back and change it (I had a typo on the ident) AFCAD wouldn't do it. I had to use one of the freeware tools (SDE editor) to disassemble the AF2 file to get access to the ILS code to make the change. The ILS_GPS_Approach Creator program works OK, but it makes a "quick and dirty" approach, not based on any real charted approach. Among other things, it won't add any named waypoints that might be on the charts.scott s..

AFCAD has one weakness that has been mentioned that contributes to its problems. It seems to have caching problems. It was suggested never to use the quick file open but always use the Airport open/search so it reads the scenery. Likewise I always use Save As rather then save because this seems to insure the file is written to disk.I also had a problem with ILS idents. As I recall I had to change it back to the original ident, Save As, and then close it. I repeated this with the new ident and then it took.AFCAD was written before MS released the AI/traffic and scenery SDKs, which as I recall were released near the end of their respective FS product cycles.

Hi,The big bug I found in AFCAD was trying to save an airport with a different file name. While the new file name is displayed in the menu bar, you are actually still editing the OLD file.I now quit AFCAD after doing a Save As and load the file from scratch.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___