Sign in to follow this  
Guest pred02

Porting FS9 installation to a new machine

Guest pred02

I did this a couple of years ago when porting from a laptop to a desktop, but now I am getting a new hard drive with a new Windows installation so I just wanted to ensure the procedure is the same.1) Format new hard drive, install Windows, everything else.2) Install FS2004 into the same directory as old hard drive (i.e. c:gamesfs2004 in my case)3) Delete FS2004 directory4) Copy the old FS2004 installation in the directory.This way the system should have the FS2004 installation on this hard drive in the directory. I should probably not reuse the FS9 file, as new hardware will rebuild this. Though I need to recall the optimal FS9 settings for graphics, itd.I am fortunate as to have most addons and utilities installed in the FS9 directory (not c:program filesActivesky, etc). Is there anything else I should look out for?Where can I find the optimal graphic settings for FS9.cfg file?Is there any utility/program that is recommended for "cleaning" out the FS2004 directory?I manually installed all AI traffic, addons, etc, thus I cannot just start "clean" in FS9.Thanks!

Yes, that's the drill. I'd add a step after reinstalling FS9 where I reinstall all paid-for addons from scratch and then after that I would copy over only the files I really wanted from the previous installation... AI Planes, Traffic, AFCADS, Gauges, Effects etc etc...This way you get to have a little clean-out at the same time! Keep the old version available for a good few weeks though just in case you forget something!Geoff

I'll be doing this at the weekend too. Just got a new laptop for work and will be putting FS9 on it. I'm going to clean install and then overwrite the folders from my main installation that will provide all the addons I've put in: scenery, texture, traffic, gauges, effects, modules etc. Then only put in the planes I actually fly!;)

Guest pred02

I am still trying to determine if reverse engineering is the best approach, or just copy the installation and then clean it.The reason why I ask is that I know that many of the sceneries place information not only in the /Addon Scenery directory (I actually use a different directory and manually install scenaries), but rather in the "/FS2004 [Root]/Scenery" and "/FS2004 [ROOT]/Texture." Also there are scenaries that place effects in the /FS2004/Effects folder.I also have a large number of custom AI aircraft (2500+), I know Traffic tools can do a decent job of recompliling the BGL file if all the aircraft folders are in the place where they are destined to be.What do other people recommend? Copy and paste (with the install in the registry), or do a very clean install from start? I am affraid the patchup work on my highly customized FS9 might take too long.Does anyone know of any good cleaner tools (I tools to remove gauges not used, aicraft not used, etc?)Thanks!

Ok, it really depends on your preference - I've done it twice now and the first time I cleaned out everything but then, as you point out, I had to mess around patching things for a while. The second time I moved the whole lot and since I was also moving the XP installation to a new drive, I didn't need to to much more than reinstall some payware add-ons which somehow noticed the changes...Geoff

I do a clean install from the start. It's a pain I know but when you want to fly you don't need any hitches getting in the way (or even worse, invest a few hours in a flight to have it plonk on approach)With all the anti pirate stuff for add-on's going into the registry I would play it safe.Just do a little each day. I did copy my custom AI onto a DVD.

Guest pred02

This will require an entire migration strategy, but ok I see the point.There are a couple of aspects to all of this:1) AI - I would copy from the aircraft directory, no complications, just copy all the AIA, PAI, FSP, TFS aircraft. Copy the traffic tools directory (seperate on my install) and recompile the seperate traffic BGLs.2) Commerical & Addon Aircraft - manually install from scratch using original installers.3) Utilities (FSNav, Activesky,FSFK, FSBuild etc) Install from scratch.4) Scenery - this is where it gets tricky because for a lot of freeware scenery (and I have a lot), because certain use extra and add to scenery.cfg, other's have the add files to different folders approach. I really do have a lot of scenery and this task is complicated, especially when testing each airport, making sure AFCAD2 is there, etc.Am I missing anything here?Thanks!

Your plan sounds like the route I have taken. Addon stuff (freeware) I download then I save in a zip file with directory's intact and then it goes on a DVD. Even if it has an installer I install to a dummy folder and then zip it.For example, Flight Ontario's GTA addon takes a bit of work to manually set up but now that it is on a DVD I can just unzip it and add it to the scenery.CFG.Payware stuff I use the insatller again.I format about once a year. This past year I have done it twice due to a new hard drive. It was a headache but not as bad as tracking down a wayward file or missing reg entry.I dont envy you ;)Good luck

I've yet to "meet" anyone who has pulled this off without some sort of hitch. Too much addon stuff these days writes to registry or relies on another addon to feed it data.Whatever you think of full reinstalls, it almost always ends up being the best option. You suddenly realise that half the addons you have aren't worth putting back in. You end up with a leaner, meaner install that runs great. I've taken my FS to Jenny Craig. Less is the new more ! :-)

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest zswobbie2

Hi AllI wanted to do a 2nd install as my original is chock a block.I renamed the files, cfg, folders etc. The 2nd install went fine EXCEPTwhenever I hit the kneeboard key or press F10, I get a black screen with the toolbar on top but the second install freezes. I have to right click on the bottom task bar to kill FS. I also installed Golden Wings and have the same problems. Also, when I try go go to "lessons" the GUI remains but it is white where the lessons text should be.All this happens on a fresh 2nd install.Any ideas?

Guest pred02

I had a look at my FS2004 folder, and realized 45gig is too much for a reinstall. I'm going to try it the other way around first. I have an exact copy on the backup hard drive, will reinstall big addons, PMDG, Activesky, LevelD, will report back how it goes.I did this 2.5 years ago, and it was ok, but it will take some adjustment this time around.Does anyone know any good resources for optimizing your FS installation?Thanks!

Guest zswobbie2

Yup. Try FS Manager. Cannot remember where I got it. It really works for me. It allows you to "hanger" unused planes, checks them for errors and also sorts out scenery problems. However it "times out" There is a workaround here...http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt24094.htmlAlso I foumd a patch somewhere that permanently sorts out this problem. Try the usual sites to find it. Sorry I cannot be of more help.In my main FS9 install, I have over 1200 aircraft & textures. My FS folder is about 60gigs. Far too much which is why I have a second clean install (with the above problems) I want to keep my large install and use my smaller install for quick flights. I just have not got the energy to delete the lot & start over again. Just the thought of finding all my good stuff, planes,scenery, modules, guages etc and getting it all back to what I an used to makes my piles throb!

Guest zswobbie2

Any help for my 2nd install problem...Anyone?

Guest zswobbie2

Hi TomSORTED!Thanks for all the help. I deleted that pesky dll that was mentioned (olleocc.dll or something) and all worked. Phew. Silly me. I only tried the forums and did not think of doing a google. RegardsRobin