Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Strange VC-10 problem near OSLO on this flightplan

I have built a flightplan from Edinburgh to Oslo using FSNav 4.5 and used the brilliant David Chester VC-10 to fly it in the virtual cockpit. weather is winter with light snow, light winds, and lots of cumulus and stratus clouds. I have saved the situation during descent in several places. Every time I load the saved situation at 10,000' or 7000', the ASI jerks to zero at some point during the descent for a period, and the STALL indicator illuminates at the exact same moment in the cockpit although my airspeed is still 240-250 knots. The autothrust nonetheless then kicks in to max N1 and I dive at speeds of up to 20,000'/min. At about 3000-4000' MSL, the dive eases off suddenly and the ASI comes back to life at an insane speed (400 knots or more).I have all anti ice activated for the aircraft so there should be no pitot freezing--yet the ASI does fall to zero for a period of 10-15 seconds. Scenery is default FS9.Tonight I found that after recovering from the ASI freeze, the sim kicked me to the desktop twice. This is a new development in that arrival zone with this saved situation.I am wondering if there is a scenery issue going on here -- it's like I hit some sort of black hole or Bermuda Triangle close to Oslo airport. The STALL does not occur at exactly the same place each time, but it does occur within a 5-8 mile radius of where I load either saved flight.Can anybody assist with this strange situation?Thanks!JS

Hi JSI don't know anything about this particular aircraft. But I would suggest you to try exactly the same approach (load the saved flight and change the aircraft) with another aircraft to se if it's a scenery bug or if something is wrong with the aircraft.RegardsHenrikGreenland

Henrik:I tried the same descent with the default 737 and then the default 747-400 and each aircraft behaved exactly as did the add-on VC-10 by David Chester: even with anti-ice switched ON, the ASI fell to zero as I descended within 10 seconds of entering snow clouds and the autothrottle kicked N1 to max for about 7-10 seconds as the aircraft descended at up to -20,000 fpm. At about 3000' MSL, the ASI reverted to normal operation, albeit at about 400 knots (!), and the autopilot even recovered the attitude although not on every occasion. I checked the weather settings in FS9 and observe that icing is set to TRACE which is the lowest level. If I cancel the icing setting, all is fine and ASI remains normal and the flight remains stable.This is really weird, no?!JS

Hi Jonathan,I know you have this sorted out now but I just thought I would post my email reply to you for others who experience these weird kinds of problems with Flight Simulator.Glad to see you are still flying my VC10 anyway :)Kind regardsDavidAddictive SimulationsInitial response:Initially this does sound like it could be a pitot problem doesn't it? That wouldn't explain you being kicked out of FS though. Could be a live weather problem where the weather is updated at regular intervals and FS is getting the wrong information suddenly which will throw it completely. We used to get this sometimes with Active Sky and FSUIPC but it could normally be fixed by setting the weather transitions to slow. Even then it could be quite a rough transition sometimes. I remember one flight I had saved myself on approach to EDDH and every time it would throw me violently sideways on finals which doesn't help much! It is possible that this would also occur with the built-in live weather system. This can also happen because the weather is very different between the day when you saved the flight and the day when you load the flight and fly it again. The next thing I would do would be to completely rule out the possibility of a saved flight file issue. This is a common problem where something corrupt gets saved and then every time you load that flight the same problem occurs. To do this, start FS wth the default aircraft and location. If you have changed your default aircraft and location you should reset this. When in the default aircraft change location to the airport of your choice and aircraft of your choice. Now load the flight plan and save the flight before you begin it. Begin the flight and carry on as normal. Make descent saves as you wish and when the flight is over, go back to one of the saved flights and see if it works correctly.

pittsdevsig.jpg

David:OK and thanks. Your VC-10 is a totally superb bird. The virtual cockpit is splendid spread across three large LCDs under MATROX TH2G and the flight model is also very good indeed.JS