Sign in to follow this  
Guest nilsca

Freeware - RealTrim 1.2 module released

Guest nilsca

HiIf you know RealTrim 1.1 you'll enjoy the new 1.2 version. It's a FS9 module that offers:"Improved trimming. Activate the trimming-feature via button while moving the joystick from deflection to neutral. The movement of the joystick is converted into the opposite amount of movement of the trim-wheel. This matches real-life where the pilot trims out force felt on the yoke in ONE smooth operation: moving the trim-wheel."RealTrim now reads the aircraft's airfile to calculate the correct amount of trim deflection.Source and more information here http://code.google.com/p/fscode/wiki/RealTrimModule available in avsim library and here http://fscode.googlecode.com/files/realtrim12.zipCheersNils

I enjoyed Real Trim until I got my Saitek mouse wheel to do trim.But if you don't have a trim wheel I'd heartily recommended Real Trim. It started me doing hand flying because I could trim in a realistic amount of time.Good to hear you've been working on this still, Nils!Nils, another idea - since you seem to be gifted at programming: how hard would it be to make a key that you hit and it turns your mouse wheel into trim? I think that would work for alot of people.

Guest johnegg

Hi, thanks for this, I am looking forward to trying it out later. One thing that springs to mind is all my joystick buttons are assigned to other actions is it possible to assign a user selected button or key to trim with and if so how ?Thanks John

Just downloaded v1.2Great to have the trim on the mouse wheel but I cannot get the single button trim working properly. When I trim up the first time it's ok but if I continue to trim up it trims down violently. I reinstalled v1.1 and it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks for posting.Does it work with the CH Yoke as that already has a rocking switch for trim?

Dave Taylor gb.png

the "real trim" can be a problem here.the code reads the fs output for elevator trim/horizontal stabilizer deflection (in degrees) and convert it for the trim units of the 737?But how can you grant that the trim range (in degrees) will match with the units and vice-versa?also, it changes it from airfile to airfile.this add-on can be useful with G.A. aircraft, but I have my doubts in other kind of aircraft.but appears that the gauge is similar to the AB Auto-trim feature, right?

Gustavo Rodrigues - Brazil

Guest Mike_Luchia

How did you get the mouse wheel to act as a trim wheel?>I enjoyed Real Trim until I got my Saitek mouse wheel to do>trim.>But if you don't have a trim wheel I'd heartily recommended>Real Trim. >It started me doing hand flying because I could trim in a>realistic amount of time.>>Good to hear you've been working on this still, Nils!>>Nils, another idea - since you seem to be gifted at>programming: how hard would it be to make a key that you hit>and it turns your mouse wheel into trim? I think that would>work for alot of people.

Guest nilsca

>Nils, another idea - since you seem to be gifted at>programming: how hard would it be to make a key that you hit>and it turns your mouse wheel into trim? I think that would>work for alot of people.1.2 now has an option for using the mouse wheel for trimming - it's an all or nothing atm though - enable option and use wheel = trimming (need to use a modifier e.g. shift/ctrl to use the wheel for something else)CheersNils

Guest nilsca

Johnan entry in the menus allows to assign a custom button to the trim function - no keys anymore though as I figured it doesn't make much sense to 'trim the joystick' while reaching for the keyboard :)CheersNils

Guest nilsca

Hi cujo>Great to have the trim on the mouse wheel but I cannot get the>single button trim working properly. When I trim up the first>time it's ok but if I continue to trim up it trims down>violently. I reinstalled v1.1 and it works fine. Any ideas?Hmm, not good - real trim reads from aircraft.cfg and airfile - might be that there's some variable that doesn't work for your plane.What plane are you flying? Maybe i can try it out here.1.1 works with a hardcoded (adjustable) elevator-2-trim ratio so it'll always work if you take the time to adjust itCheersNils

Guest nilsca

Dave>Does it work with the CH Yoke as that already has a rocking>switch for trim?sure, it doesn't interfere with any other trimming activity at all. Use your usual trimming habits - try out the pull-on-jooke-press-trim-button-return-yoke-to-neutral ... that's where the module trims the plane accordinglyCheersNils

Guest nilsca

Hi Gustavo>convert it for the trim units of the 737?>But how can you grant that the trim range (in degrees) will>match with the units and vice-versa?>also, it changes it from airfile to airfile.This module reads aircraft.cfg as well as the current airfile to calculate trim input change for a given elevator deflection change (involving trim sensitivity setting, elevator trim deflection limit, cm_de and cm_dt = the pitch moments).Pending problems in those calculations are it's all reverse engineering of course so some variable might have been missed this module calculates the appropriate value based on fsim's applicable variables.Works for me with two payware planes and all FS9 included planes>but appears that the gauge is similar to the AB Auto-trim>feature, right?not 100% sure :) auto-trim i believe leaves a plane in a specific attitude: pilots sets attitude and auto trim keeps it there going forwardrealtrim is only used for trimming force out of joke/joystick - like in a real plane trimming has to be re-done as oscillation sets in which I think is quite a difference.Like when I fly a real Cessna I want to trim off forces on my input - not an auto-pilot :)CheersNils

Guest nilsca

Mike>How did you get the mouse wheel to act as a trim wheel?realtrim hooks into FSim's event processing - we turn the mouse wheel into anything we like :)CheersNils