Sign in to follow this  
Guest QF744

can you install FS9 twice on same hard drive?

Guest QF744

Hi, the reason i ask is because FS9 keeps CTD and it looks like i will need to re-install(it is after an FSX uninstall,i have tried everything with no luck).I want to make the process as simple as possible and thought if i install the new FS9 installation on the same hard drive(change the name of the previous installation first).Then just transfer aircraft,scenery,gauges,etc.... across instead of needing to re-install all the add-ons. Can i do this,will this work? Thanks, Simon.

Guest QF744

Hi, thanks for the response.so i can have both installations on the C drive.Once the 2nd FS9 is installed and working should their be any problems to watch out for when uninstalling the oroiginal FS09 installation? Thanks, Simon.

Simon,what I did was this:- Installed FS9 and FS9.1 patch. Folder name "FS2004"- copied the whole FS9 folder to another location named "Clean FS9 Install" - Made a new folder named "FS2004 VFR" and copied the contents of "Clean FS9 Install" into itNow that gives me two clean installations, "FS2004" and "FS2004 VFR"The registry entries are for "FS2004", so if at any point i need to install something into "FS2004 VFR" I will first rename "FS2004" to something like "FS 2004 MAIN" and then rename "FS2004 VFR" to "FS2004" so install program can match registry entries with the correct folder. Once done, rename those two folders back and you're all set.At one point I had 4 (four) installations of FS9 on the same drive plus the "Clean" one.Now, all this might sound a bit complicated, but it really isn't. I also use multiple FS9.cfg files for different types of aircraft, but that's another story... :)Regards,Jure