Sign in to follow this  
Old Bill

Time on My Hands!

I find myself with a little downtime right now. My usual Sim flying Area is Florida and the Caribbean. With Freeflow Florida and Freeflow Bahamas, the Eye Candy is sweet to behold. But nevertheless, been there, done that! I have also covered the East coast of the U.S. pretty much. I thought I might check out the middle of the country before heading into the mountain time zone. I see some really detailed mesh and photo scenery being developed for the area(freeware of course). So up from Sunny Florida to Hotlanta, into Nashville for an Overnight. Halfway to Louisville, I notice some White stuff I seem to recall as Snow. Well I've been to Louisville, Cincinnati, and now Indianapolis. I'm pretty much bored with the Whiteout. When does the Snow start to melt in FS9, and don't suugest changing Seasons. That wouldn't be Kosher. I must fly with the Time and Weather the Flight Sim Gods have assigned me. Maybe now I'll fly down the Mississippi valley till the Snow disappears. To the Big Easy and the the Great Southwest and the Land of Arnold Schwartzeneger. Bill, the Cold :-violin

Guest RonB49

Go West young man!You gotta fly through the Grand Canyon, then stop in Las Vegas before moving on to Arnold's house. Then up the West coast to explore Mount St Helens and the Columbia river valley. By then it will be warm enough to check out Glacier Bay while you wait for the Northern regions of Alaska to warm up a bit.See, there's real trip for you.R-

Through the Grand Canyon? That sounds kinda hazardous with a fixed wing aircraft. Wouldn't I be better off flying higher and looking down? In any case, I'm now at O'Hare. Arizona is a long way from here. I must see the Arch at St. Louis and the underwater City of New Orleans. (Oops! I meant to say below sea level city)Chicken Bill :-roll *:-*

Bill- come on out to Victoria BC CYYJ, then plot yourself a hop,skip and jump trip up the wet/westcoast with Real Weather to Anchorage AK PANC. Fly something like the DreamFleet Baron 58 and enjoy a multitude of small to medium stops on the way. Better have charts handy- a bit disconcerting to break out out of the clag and discover a mountain beside you and only saltchuck below! Meet you at the YYJ Flying Club if you have Don Grovestine's CYYJ 2007 scenery (AVSIM Library)!Cheers Old Alex

Still Snowy in St. Louis. One of the things I try to do in my wanderings is add scenery to the places I visit. I must be especially careful with the AFCADS as I use Ultimate Traffic and as far as I know they only update the default airports. If some nice person has developed scenery and added gates for those particular Airports, Aircraft may be parked far from the gates and sometime even inside the buildings. Such was the case at St. Louis. I finally got things straight using Chuck Fords KSTL along with Ray Lunnings Update of Chucks Scenery. William Morgan made the latest and greatest AFCAD including the new runway at KSTL. Nobody else had even taken the new runway into account, as far as I can see. One of the AFCAD's I had to disable was MAIW's for KSTL. Now all those F15's are parking amongst the Commercial Airlines. I Googled KSTL to see where those Fighters park, but could see nothing, Anybody know where the Airforce facilities are at KSTL, or maybe they don't belong there at all. I could modify my version of the AFCAD, but I may never return to KSTL in The near future.Bill, Still fleeing the cold and white North. :-hmmm :-hmmm

I may just do That. I was in that area during February about ten years ago to go skiing up at Whistler. I found people in shirtsleeves and the Dogwoods in bloom as if it was April or May. needless to say the Skiing stunk below 3000 feet, all slush.Bill

Today, Saint Paddy's day is the day the Spring Thaw came to the Midwest. As I took off from St. Louis, things looked a little less white. Truly the snow has gone. I turned the clock back 24 hours, and the white stuff was still on the ground. I don't know how far North the meltdown goes because my Flight plan is for Memphis,(Fed Ex is holding a package for me.) Instead of New Orleans, maybe I'll head Northwest toward Kansas City next. If I encounter the Snowline, It'll be South again toward Warmer Climes. Anybody got any info on the Military parking at KSTL?Bill, the Thinblood :-wave :-cool