Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grey_Wolf

Help - freeware commander broke FS!

Guest Milton

Strangely enough Blair, I run ME and a 32MB PCI card, so with your system, I would say that sounds okay.BTW, I have an OMB sound card piece of junk that hurts my frame rates too. :-( I don;t know how much longer I can develop these aircraft on this 350mhz. :-)Oh, I might mention that the Lycoming GO-435 is a naturally aspirated 6-cyl engine running AVGAS and its sounds are a lot more like the Baron than the KA350. :-)Aaron Swindle has a beefed up Baron sound set available in the library if you want something a little different ... but keep fps in mind.Milton

Guest Milton

Thank you Andre for alerting me, and thanks to you and Scott for helping to "swarm the issue" and get it resolved.I just hate headlines like that. :-) Seems unfair.Milton

RE..."Help - freeware commander broke FS!"Why would somebody head a forum discussion with something as stupid as this???!In all the years of simming, I have NEVER heard of an aircraft "BREAKING FS""!!You will not find ANY team...Freeware, OR payware, that will respond or reply to ANY issues faster or with more interest in solving any problems with thier work than this team has done and still does. If you will look over ALL the forums on the Commander, 99 percent of the issues are installation related. But we still address ALL concerns as though it might be a problem with our product, and do our VERY BEST to resolve these issues! Even when that 99 percent isnt any kind of a problem with our product!As you have since found...the Commander did not "BREAK yer FS".A retraction, or even an appology would be nice here!Scott Thomas"It must be understood, that we cannot build common sense into this Racer. That item must be included in the human components".............Racing industry quote

Guest Milton

I understand your point Scott, but there is a larger issue here.With the introduction of xml gauges being stored in .cab files, we in the FS community have a new issue to face.All of us are in the habit of unzipping files with zip icons and putting them where we know they go. No, we all do not read the manual. :-)Now, we must remember to pause, check instructions, determine IF the gauges.zip/cab must be unzipped or put in the FS2002/Gauges folder intact.I think it would be helpful if a front page article could help us all become more aware of this issue and hopefully alleviate some headaches for everyone who falls into this trap.Milton

>RE... >>"Help - freeware commander broke FS!" >>Why would somebody head a forum discussion with something as >stupid as this???! >>In all the years of simming, I have NEVER heard of an >aircraft "BREAKING FS""!! >>You will not find ANY team...Freeware, OR payware, that will >respond or reply to ANY issues faster or with more interest >in solving any problems with thier work than this team has >done and still does. >>If you will look over ALL the forums on the Commander, 99 >percent of the issues are installation related. But we still >address ALL concerns as though it might be a problem with >our product, and do our VERY BEST to resolve these issues! >Even when that 99 percent isnt any kind of a problem with >our product! >>As you have since found...the Commander did not "BREAK yer >FS". >>A retraction, or even an appology would be nice here! >>Scott Thomas >>"It must be understood, that we cannot build common sense >into this Racer. That item must be included in the human >components" >>.............Racing industry quote FYI - it is working now, but I did NOT unzip the cab file into the directory I just left it intact. I am not sure what happened, but FS did not work at all. The program would crash mentioning that gauge file.I have been a computer programmer/network/database administrator for 7 years and counting, so I know how to get programs working. I also know how to debug programs, and tinker with them to get things working. Just because you have not seen something, does not mean it didn't happen. Unfortunately I did not take screen shots of it. I assumed this was the kind of place I could come and be taken on my word. I see I was wrong. On a brighter note, thanks to Andre and Milton for helping me almost immediately. Your aircraft is working now and it is a great plane. However, if there other types of posts are going to come up when I bring up a legitimate issue, I will find myself another place to find my flightsim information. I think others should get their facts straight first before attacking others.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Milton

>>>>"Help - freeware commander broke FS!" >> I think others should get their facts straight >first before attacking others."Hi Craig,As a 35 year veteran of Information Systems myself, logic must prevail here.Neither you, we, nor the gauges were at fault here. Obviously the OPSys did something in the install process that caused it not to work. Generally, we have found that the .cab file sometimes gets extracted (or unzipped) into the gauge folder causing the issue.The topic heading obviously accuses the Commander of being the cause. Maybe your intent was to say "The Installation of the Commander resulted in FS being broke."Regardless, I am happy it is working for you now. Please do not judge the AVSIM forum or community and the wonderful people here by my responses or anyone elses. This is an awesome place to hang out. As with any community, there are a wide and varied set of personalities and maturity levels in the mix. Let's try for patience, tolerance, support and understanding. In that way, we all benefit.Milton

Guest Grey_Wolf

If I install a file or package in to, a working, flight simulator and suddenly the sim stops working corestly, the obvious first potental culprit would be the file I installed. Second to that would be something else on my end weither it be my OS or VB runtime files or Direct X or one of many other things. I'm no IT profesional I'm known in my company as a "mechanic" I work with everything from shovels to cranes to computers to remotly operated robots to make repairs in environments not suitable for huumans. Mostly I make things work or creat the proses for something to be created. No matter what the "tool" is or the task, their is an order to solving any problems you run in to along the way. In short, he made an obvious asumption. Their was a direct relation to Flight sim working properly and the instalation of the Commander. Investigating the commander was the next logical step. I'm happy it worked out well in the end. Thank you Milton and crew for a plane I cant stop flying. And thanks for having such wonderful fast and responsive support.Ok :)deep breath; repeat "its just a sim, were here to have fun"Having FunGrey_Wolf