Sign in to follow this  
Guest merchant

Addon to Manager Scenery.cfg

Guest merchant

Can someone recommend a freeware or payware addon to help manage and maintain FS9's scenery.cfg file. I sometimes have scenery conflicts which require moving entries around which means renumbering the entries manually to keep the entries ordered sequentially. TIA

There is no good reason which I can think of to keep entries numbered sequentially.I have always allowed FS to maintain the scenery.cfg file and never experienced any conflicts with over 300 scenery entries and counting.It is true that some sceneries do require a specific order of initial activation if there are several parts to it but that is done from the Scenery Library itself.FS2004 seems to do a great job of keeping my scenery.cfg file working properly, regardless of how the entries may be numbered.I believe most knowledgeable simmers would recommend that the scenery.cfg file be left alone unless you know exactly what you are doing.That is my experience for what it may be worth.

Hi,Pick up FightSim Manager v2.8 here at AvSim http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=76742 and then you need the patch to date unlock it as the author timestamped the exe.The patch is a bit difficult to find but may be at flightsim.com. The name is fsmgrpch.zip.It's the best utility by far for sorting out the numbering issues in FS9.CFG.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The patch is available at Flightsim.The correct file name is fsmgr.zip

The patch for FlightSim Manager v2.85 is available at flightsim.com under the file name fsmgr.zip.Another handy utility written by Steve Greenwood adjusts the area number to match the layer number and is simple to use. It can be found at http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/resources-g.shtml .That being said, I agree with Opa that you can do a LOT of damage to your scenery.cfg if you are not careful and the sim won't run without it. So be careful and backup your scenery.cfg before you start fiddling with it.[edit] Sorry, David, we must have been typing at the same time. Great minds think alike.[edit]

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest merchant

I normally let FS9 handle scenery.cfg but on those rare occasions a separate utility is indispensable.Thanks for the advice and words of caution.

I have been using FS Scenery Manager for years. It used to be payware, but is now free (no longer being developed). It works for FS9, but I have not used it for FSX, although I believe it was patched to work with it.Avaliable here:http://www.flightxtreme.com/old.htmYou can organise your sceneries into logical groups (eg: USA, Europe, Asia), and use it to create a scenery.cfg as required.

Graeme Butler

Guest ha5mvo

>I have been using FS Scenery Manager for years. It used to be>payware, but is now free (no longer being developed). It works>for FS9, but I have not used it for FSX, although I believe it>was patched to work with it.>Avaliable here:>http://www.flightxtreme.com/old.htm>You can organise your sceneries into logical groups (eg: USA,>Europe, Asia), and use it to create a scenery.cfg as>required.>I'll join this recommendation. It's simple, easy to use and does all the re-enumeration so you don't have gaps (which btw - CAN cause problems as far as I have observed).It will also allow the addition, activation and reorganisation of sceneries without the need to load FS each time you wish to do that.

Guest merchant

>>I have been using FS Scenery Manager for years. It used to>be>>payware, but is now free (no longer being developed). It>works>>for FS9, but I have not used it for FSX, although I believe>it>>was patched to work with it.>>Avaliable here:>>http://www.flightxtreme.com/old.htm>>You can organise your sceneries into logical groups (eg:>USA,>>Europe, Asia), and use it to create a scenery.cfg as>>required.>>>>>I'll join this recommendation. It's simple, easy to use and>does all the re-enumeration so you don't have gaps (which btw>- CAN cause problems as far as I have observed).>It will also allow the addition, activation and reorganisation>of sceneries without the need to load FS each time you wish to>do that.FS Scenery Manager is exactly what I had in mind.Thanks,