Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Problem with callsigns

Anyone know why ATC does not always use use callsigns I have in the aircraft.cfg file (the callsigns themselves are definitely correct BTW)? The real oddity is that for the same callsign the pilots voices will always use it, and ATC does only half the time: during a single flight ATC will call me, for instance, Delta 214 then a bit later just 214.Ideas welcome!Thanks,Martin

Just this second noticed that my sound FS9 folder hass both USEnglishBig.gvp and USEnglishSmall.bvp in it (as well as USEnglishASOS.gvp).That's not right is it, as far as I recall? Shouldn't I have either one or the other? Could that be the root of the problem?M.

Having both files is normal.You probably should investigate the EditVoicepack program which allows proper call signs to be added to the sim.Check it out at:http://www.editvoicepack.com/It is really a "must have" program.

It's just a verbal shortcut. the first time atc uses the full call sign, from then on, unless changing airspace, its just the last three characters.

I have never ever noticed that before! How odd - I am sure it didn't happen before I reinstalled FS.I have had EVP for some years - but thanks for the heads up!Martin :-)>It's just a verbal shortcut. the first time atc uses the full>call sign, from then on, unless changing airspace, its just>the last three characters.

I don't think you have been imagining things. I don't buy the verbal shortcut explanation. I'm a user of the default ATC and to the best of my knowledge, it always says the call sign. My advice would be to let EditVoicepack rebuild the voicepack.What you could also check is the call sign itself in EditVoicepack, listen to all the voices, perhaps one of them is corrupt and as a result inaudible in the sim for that particular voice.

Mike...

Hi. Thanks for the comment: I looked there before I posted here but there are only Pilot Voices showing and all of them, 1-7, play back fine. Is there an equivalent for the ATC voices? It's those that miss off the callsign, the pilot voices never do.M.

The naming can be a bit misleading, but the voices listed in EditVoicepack and those listed in the ATC settings of FS are the same. Here I see voices 0 to 9 for both by the way, perhaps that's an indication that something is not right with your voicepack. Maybe extract the original voicepacks from the FS discs, then do a fresh install of EditVoicepack, redownload updates and import more additions if needed, then rebuild. Note, if you use acceleration, go into the FS ATC settings and reselect your preferred voice.

Mike...

Sorry, my error. I have ten voices (0-9) in EVP; I was thinking of the seven pilot voice options available in FS!M.

Hi,I assume you mean USEnglishSmall.gvp, not .bvp? If it's .bvp then there's no problem. If it's .gvp, I certainly don't have both in my folder. I would rename the Small file from .gvp to .gvp.old to inactivate it.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___