Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

XP SP3- any thoughts/feedback?

As most of you are probably aware, XP SP3 is out in BETA, and scheduled for release soon. Anyone taken the plunge already? Thoughts? I'm hoping it's all it's cracked up to be..about a 20% improvement in performance.....fab!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Quoting from the release notes:SummaryWindows XP SP3 combines all previously released performance, security, and stability updates. It also provides a limited number of new and enhanced functionalities, although it does not significantly change the Windows XP experience or bring most Windows Vista functionality to Windows XP. The goals of Windows XP SP3 are to: Provide a new baseline for customers still deploying Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of applying individual updates. Fill gaps in the updates users might have missed by declining individual updates when using Automatic Updates, and to deliver updates not made available through Windows Update.For more information about Windows XP SP3, go to Windows XP Service Packs.end quoteIt appears that if you have been allowing Windows updates to be installed as they became available, this Service pack is, for the most part, redundant.Note that it specifically states "it does not significantly change the XP experience".

I've had SP3 RC1 and now SP3 RC2 installed. No major problemsto report except for some nagging crashes in IE7, which I solvedby reinstalling IE7. To be honest I've not noticed much changeand all runs pretty smoothly.Regards

I read somewhere that it was supposed to help with stuttering in games. I only saw that once though, so it remains to be seen if it will be worthwile.Bill

> Provide a new baseline for customers still deploying>Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of applying>individual updates.>Deploying? I don't understand the current trend for replacing perfectly good English verbs; such as the commonly understood 'to use', with this type of waffle. 'Deploying XP' what a load of nonsense.I'm not having a go at the poster here at AVSIM, I realise that you're just quoting from some waffle king/queen somewhere :-)Rant over - sorry ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

>>> Provide a new baseline for customers still>deploying>>Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of applying>>individual updates.>>>Deploying? I don't understand the current trend for replacing>perfectly good English verbs; such as the commonly understood>'to use', with this type of waffle. 'Deploying XP' what a>load of nonsense.Hi GavinFYI "To deploy" means to install an operating system or other software to a machine

>>>>> Provide a new baseline for customers still>>deploying>>>Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of>applying>>>individual updates.>>>>>Deploying? I don't understand the current trend for>replacing>>perfectly good English verbs; such as the commonly>understood>>'to use', with this type of waffle. 'Deploying XP' what a>>load of nonsense.>>>>Hi Gavin>>FYI "To deploy" means to install an operating system or other>software to a machineI learn something new everyday :-) And there was me thinking that 'to install' generally means to install. So do I now have to say that I have XP and FS9 deployed on my computer? ;-)Please don't take me too seriously here. I spend most of my working day with lawyers so am quite used to seeing words used in an unusual context. I guess the computer industry also has its own 'special waffle words'. Here's a nice article from the Financial Times on this sort of nonsense: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/48e4569a-cb56-11...0077b07658.htmlAll the best :-)

Gavin Barbara

What's so nonsense about "deploy"? Deploy is not exactly the same as install. Deploy is both install and configure and more often than not on multiple computers and more often than not by "deployers" :( and not the actual users of those machines.If there's a "normal" word that says all that in just six letters, I'd like to know. :D

Mike...

I work for IBM providing desktop support and I whole heartedly agree that a return to plain english would be a great step forward. I spend so much more time decyphering what a user actually wants done, than doing the job itself. I thought buzz words and acronyms were bad in my job, but my heart goes out you working with lawyers ;-) Oh yeah as for SP3, my personal opinion is if you system ain't bust don't fix it

>>> Provide a new baseline for customers still>deploying>>Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of applying>>individual updates.>>>Deploying? I don't understand the current trend for replacing>perfectly good English verbs; such as the commonly understood>'to use', with this type of waffle. 'Deploying XP' what a>load of nonsense.>>I'm not having a go at the poster here at AVSIM, I realise>that you're just quoting from some waffle king/queen somewhere>:-)>>Rant over - sorry ;-)>Absolutly agree Gavin.Nowt worse than your waffle mongers and base touching, run it up the flagpole, think outside the box brigade.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

It sounds like SP3 is going to mostly just be a roll-up of all the previous security patches since SP2 that most everyone has (should have) already downloaded and installed long ago.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>What's so nonsense about "deploy"? Deploy is not exactly the>same as install. Deploy is both install and configure and more>often than not on multiple computers and more often than not>by "deployers" :( and not the actual users of those machines.>>If there's a "normal" word that says all that in just six>letters, I'd like to know. :DI fully see your point and prehaps we do need a new word to give that meaning. Though I don't see that deploy means also install and configure. Sometimes we simply have to use more than one word where necessary - an example - 'the car is red' requires four. We need to install and configure = We need to deploy? Fair enough, I'll just have to move with the times.Usually I understand the verb 'to deploy'in this context - we deploy troops to a combat area. Are we going to start 'installing (actually I'm sure some waffle word people may already have) and configuring them to a combat area? However, I would now like to take this opportunity to celebrate my 1,000th post at AVSIM by apologising to the OP for taking his post off topic. Sorry!

Gavin Barbara

Nevin,I completely agree.Last week I was asked to complete a computer security questionnaire, and one of the questions regarding the topic of contingency planning asked if my firm practiced "table top exercises." I can tell you that no one in my company knew what that meant, and everyone we asked had no idea. One person, being funny, suggested that we all climb onto the conference room table and exercise together. I had to research the term on Google before the meaning was understood.It's all about people inventing new jargon so they may justify their existence, because using plain language would not allow anyone to claim superiority over anyone else.Bruce