Sign in to follow this  
jfri

The MADDOG 2006 2.1 a couple of question

This plane really seems to be realistic and very good. I would like to know more about how steep is the learning curve for it? Let me give two examples of how I have experienced the learning curve for other addon planes.First the LD 767 which is a complex airliner like the maddog. Still I didn't percieve its learning curve to be that very steep.In clear contrast to that I have found the learning curve to be very steep with the F1 ATR 72-500 and particulary together with FS2crew.If I feel so how would feel about learning the maddog?Finally if I decide to buy it which option is best the dowmload version or the boxed version? Does the boxed version contains the full manual and is it worth an extra 30 Euro? (+15 Euro product +15 shipping)

If you have some experience the learning curve shouldn't be to bad.It does have some procedures that you'd need to get used to.But that's the same for anything else.Don't slam the throttle forward on departure or you'll be sitting on the runway with dead engines.Having learned the PMDG747, LVL D 767 and the SSTSIM concorde this was pretty much a read that manual and go addon.It's a great addition to any Hanger.Cheers

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Guest ha5mvo

True you'll need to read the manual, but there's nothing about those planes that's nuclear science. Especially when it comes to heavily automated models. A challenge for the programmers - much less so for the users.The maddog is an "in-between" model. Not as automated as the 767 or 744 but it does have an FMC so it does all the lateral navigation and most of the vertical navigation by itself.As far as FMC goes, well, I believe learning to operate an excel spreadsheet is far more difficult...

It's a very systems-intensive add-on, but comes with an excellent tutorial flight. A member of the community has come up with a utility to translate PMDG navdata to the Maddog format, which seems to work pretty well. I've really enjoyed flying it.John G.

John G.

Guest Nealoc187

I've got the ATR and MD2006 and I think they're similar in difficulty which is to say not too difficult as long as you are a reasonably intelligent person. I've been having lots of fun with the maddog lately - been flying at least 3-4 flights a week with it using real world Maddog routes for the last month or so. The PMDG navdata converter is invaluable.I haven't heard of any differences between the documentation in the DL version vs the disk version. I've got the disk version.You are aware it doesn't have a virtual cockpit, correct? I was worried about that at first since I like to fly the VC, but I've gotten used to it.

Like John said, the Maddog comes with an excellent tutorial flight. You can't go wrong, just follow it step by step on your first flight and you'll be alright. The Maddog has to be one of the most complete aircraft in FS, I love it to pieces. It has some nice touches which make the whole experience even better. In the beginning it might catch you by surprise when you forget to flick some obscure switch on or off (Opening doors and Aux Hydraulic pumps, anyone? LOL) Planning/Load manager is excellent, there's interaction with ground/cabin crew, you get a detailed flight plan which you can print, the pit has variable night lighting that's second to none and so on...To make it even better, I replaced the sounds with those by Turbine Studios (JT8D) and boy do they scream! All this on top of an excellent 3D model, great textures and what seems to be an excellent flight model. The MD-82 is one of my most flown aircraft in FS, I fly it almost as much as the RFP B-742. No VC? It's so good that I don't miss it anymore. EDIT: Btw, I have the download version! Fast and convenient.Regards,Jure

Hi,I have MD2006 (and ATR72, LD767) and in my opinion the learning curve is a bit steeper compared to the other 2, simply because of the nature of the 'beast'.An MD80 is not as automated as a 767 or the ATR so it requires to flip/set a bit more switches and systems. Also the operation of the FGCP (Flight Guidance Control Panel, i.e. autopilot) differs significantly from other likewise aircraft (734 etc)But this all makes it a great add-on.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

>I've got the ATR and MD2006 and I think they're similar in>difficulty which is to say not too difficult as long as you>are a reasonably intelligent person. I don't think the ATR is to difficult to learn. And it's not as much a matter about understanding but rather the anount of time needed and how many times you get it wrong before you grasp it.For example at the moment I'm trying to learn the ATR FS2crew version and I have tried to make the tutorial flight some five times without getting it right. I'm considering skipping the FS2crew and instead use the time to learn the maddog.>I haven't heard of any differences between the documentation>in the DL version vs the disk version. I've got the disk>version.>I'm refering to the printed booklet in the boxed version. So that is the complete manual?>You are aware it doesn't have a virtual cockpit, correct? I>was worried about that at first since I like to fly the VC,>but I've gotten used to it.Yes I'm aware of that and it doesn't bother me. Had the opposite being true (only VC no 2D panel) I wouldn't consider it. BTW for the moment I fly the ATR without the VC (or cabin) enabled.

>simply because of the nature of the 'beast'.>>An MD80 is not as automated as a 767 or the ATR so it requires>to flip/set a bit more switches and systems. Actually this is what I'm looking for and what has made me interested in it.

Guest Nealoc187

>I'm refering to the printed booklet in the boxed version. So>that is the complete manual?>I mis-typed that - it must've been late. I have the downloaded version, not the boxed version. I don't know if the manual comes in printed form with the boxed version.I haven't flown my ATR in like 6 months so my memory is a bit hazy but I'd say it's a bit more systems intensive than the ATR now that I think about it. The first few times I tried to start the MD I got hot starts and got cabin pressure warnings because I wasn't opening the crossfeeds and wasn't using the AC and pressurization system correctly. Another run through those sections of the tutorial and I was good to go. There's actually a very nice checklist available for it that fits on a single page (front and back) that I use for every flight now.Having no VC has become no issue for me either - I like VCs but with as many add-ons and as much traffic as I have, a VC would probably push me off the edge as far as flyable framerates are concerned. Infact I think I'll go do a flight right now being as I'm not working today and my flight training lesson for today got canceled.

In that case you'll have a blast - it's one of the most 'that works too???!!' button intensive airliners around :)regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

I've jumpsat in the Maddog cockpit before. Those guys work HARD. The gauges are just sprayed all over the place in an illogical order. The Delta 88 Before Start Checklist is the longest checklist in the airline industry! The FO is reaching all over the place completing the checklist. One 757 FO i talked to said he flew the maddog for 3 years but it felt like 10. The 767 and ATR are much less complex. The ATR is pretty easy once you understand what the heck is going on. Its still hard to operate the ATR by yourself in FS. The 767 is so automated its easy to fly it by yourself. Plus you can assign button commands unlike the ATR.