Sign in to follow this  
Guest FPSFREAK

Sound Blaster Live! Help

Hello,I just purchased a new DELL that came with a Sound Blaster Live! sound card, I have noticed a constant clicking sound when I am in the cockpit no matter what plane it is.The current driver version is 5.12.1.124Anyone else with this problem?Any solutions?Thanks in advanced.-Paul

Paul,I don't have the clicking sound, and was going to tell you my driver version. However there are a number of Sound Blaster Live versions.Go to this web site and get the latest one: http://www.americas.creative.com/support/w...asp?rd=downloadThis should help you out. Make sure to run with default settings and the clicking sound should go away.CheersBob

This is a common problem with SoundBlaster drivers (5.1 and Audigy cards) and Windows XP. Some have it, some don't. I have a SB Live 5.1, it was working fine uner Windows ME, but after installing XP the sound quality went to crap. I put the SB over into my newer P4 1.5 system and get the same results.If you disable hardware acceleration it helps a little. Go to control panel and click "Sound and Audio Devices." Under speaker settings, click the advanced button. Click the performance tab, and set the hardware acceleration to basic.Creative Labs' customer support is a joke, I'm never going back to Creative Labs. The onboard AC '97 codec sounds 100x better than the SB Live does, but it doesn't support EAX or 3D sound. I'm building a new system in a few weeks, I'm looking at the M-Audio Revolution card. Hercules also makes good cards.You could also contact Dell's support.

Try this silly fix:Open up the Sound.cfg file of the aircraft. Look for this section:(GYRO_SOUND)filename=c172_gyromaximum_volume=8800and change the volume=10 or 0.

>>Creative Labs' customer support is a joke, I'm never going >back to Creative Labs. The onboard AC '97 codec sounds 100x >better than the SB Live does, but it doesn't support EAX or >3D sound. I'm building a new system in a few weeks, I'm >looking at the M-Audio Revolution card. Hercules also makes >good cards. >>You could also contact Dell's support. Hi someone (?!) lolI kind of agree with you, regarding Creative Labs support. Even though I have Win98/2nd. Edition, I have never had a problem with me SoundBlaster Live! Platinum card, despite the fact that I have never had to update drivers, as well. My only complaint is when I launch the "Creative Launcher" toolbar, an update thing pops up in the tool try, but it never works; says "This Program is unable to connect to Live!News Update server"... and what good does that do me?! lolAnyway, as for Hercules ... blah!!!!!! Their so-called "Customer" support Rrrreeeeaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyy sucks -- big time!!!!!!I tried to get help with my video card (Prophet II /GTS 64), and they would Never give me a straight answer... they would, instead, give mea web site address, and say something, like, "try this". Hello?! Try what... I was there.. how the hell do you think I reached your sorry-a** customer support line -- Duh!!!!!! I even went directly to their site (accessed from Display Properties tweak panel).And here's the good part. I had my computer custom-built (O.E.M.), but I, myself, had purchased just the video card, because it was not available as O.E.M. at that time. Anyway, the idiot customer support goons said that they don't offer tech. help if the product was installed in a store-bought computer or an custom-installed. Again.. hello?! It took me three e-mails to explain that everything else, but their video card was O.E.M. Gee... if it wasn't in a store-bought computer -- or custom-installed -- and they don't support O.E.M (which the card, itself is Not) how else is it supposed to "be" in the computer?! lol Heck, I even bothered to register it (when I first got the thing, back in June '2000), using my "real" name & a valid e-mail (not my web-based alias account), and they still won't budge. I give up on Hercules/Guillemot... I sure hope that you have better luck than I do -- or, should I say,did (?)Stanley

Guest FPSFREAK

Paul, You don't list what your system specs are but have you updated either your 4 in 1 Drivers if it's a Via based board or your Intel chipset Drivers if the board is Intel based. I run the rig in my sig and experience none of the issue's you or others state. I'm also not running SP1. Do you get the sound while playing other games or running other apps?. Your sound card could be bad. You may need to reseat the card. Just becuase an OEM built it doesnt mean it was built right. Have you eliminated the speakers as a cause by running another pair and seeing if you get the same sounds? All of these could be a contributing factor. Everyone should learn to troubleshoot down to the component level before making any judgements. Personally I wouldnt run anything but Creative products as far as a sound card goes. Yes some of the onboard sound is of very high quality but I still believe if it's onboard it's stealing CPU cycles. Hope these suggestions help.Bobby