Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

Post 3Gb patch problem = big stutters

HiThe title says it all.Now, although it is random, the program seems to pause or do very long 'stutters'.Could it be related to the patch?I checked with Filemon and TaskInfo, it is not related to anti-virus or other software in the background.Has someone also noticed this effect or am I just misleading?ThanksGhiom

Guest LeeWang

FS9 patch didn't effect my setup. However, I have very brief 'shutters' sometimes, and for me, it is caused by AI traffic (which I run at 100% and is not the default bgl). Everytime I fly into an area, and new AI is "added" into the game, the HDD drive light flashes, I get a breif shutter, and it's gone. Lee

umm Lee he's talking about the 3gig patch not the FS9.1 or adding extra load to the CPU.Original poster, I have a funny feeling the patch does cause a slight loss of performance and I'm running a new Duel core overclocked. Frames are still very high and I can use all Aerosoft etc without any OOM messages. It's not 100% silky and it could be just in my head, but it's not exactly the same as pre patched.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest LeeWang

> umm Lee he's talking about the 3gig patch not the FS9.1 or adding> extra load to the CPU.:-lolNext time I'll put my glasses on before reading, I completely mis-read that,,, sorry:-lolLee

I have not noticed this problem you describe.I do get g3d.dll errors when using AES though. That is a known problem confirmed by Oliver for users of the 3GB fix. He has been in contact with Maurizio to see if it can and will be fixed.

FS9 is flat out using 1GB memory, let alone > 2GB. If FS9 is the reason you applied the 3GB patch, remove the patch - it's not needed!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

"FS9 is flat out using 1GB memory, let alone > 2GB. If FS9 is the reason you applied the 3GB patch, remove the patch - it's not needed!"True. I want to add something that's critical to those who see FS9 soaking up more and more memory during a session, which would lead anyone to think FS9 takes as much memory as it can get. If for any reason a texture is not where FS9 expects to find it, FS9 will hunt thru the folder hierarchy until it does (or in worst case doesn't) according to some search logic coded in the sim. This hunting process bleeds memory and I don't believe there's a limit. I started to note about a year ago that FS9 would start to stutter after a long session, especially one where I covered a lot of scenery. I'd look at my system metrics and find no free memory left and a ton of swap file activity. After a few weeks of frustration, I had vaguely remembered a discussion on this issue and used filemon to track what MSFS was looking for, and where. I found I had not installed some textures correctly on an add-on. MSFS still found them because they were in its search hierarchy, but the "hunting" was soaking up memory bit by bit. A few moved textures, and I went from a sim that wanted to use all my available memory to a sim which rarely uses more than 200 megs. Obviously that amount might vary with more sophisticated add-ons than my crop of Carenado aircraft. But with everything installed "properly" as said earlier, the sim should come nowhere close to using 3 Gigs of ram. Keep in mind some add-ons also may not be set up properly--for instance landclass add-ons that have an empty texture folder in addition to the bgl in the scenery folder. I somewhat recall a few landclass file packages here which were packaged that way.As I said I posted on this before, as have others. I thought this thread would be a good place to mention again as there's still new users of the sim all the time. Regards,John

So you don't recommend the patch?What do you mean by "a few moved textures"?How do you recommend to put the textures.I also noticed in my sim that sometimes, I get very blurry ground textures when flying at x4. The sim cannot catch up. Ultimately, it does and can maintain good quality textures when still flying at x4. Filemon.exe detects a lot of missing texture.CAB files, which of course don't exist. it seems like this issue is linked to wht you describe as "hunting textures"... Interesting.So how to organize the texture files location on the HDD?Thank you againGlad not feeling alone.Regards, Ghiomps: can you please post replies to ghiomkl at hotmail dot com?

Gary Are you for real?? I and many many others were having issues with Aerosoft AES and complicated addon's oom errors flying into Heathrow and certain other airports. The patch and boot.ini edit cured this problem. Nobody is denying that win xp 32 bit is limited by the amount of ram it can use but tha patch WORKS!Rob

Rob Prest

If addons are behaving as they should, then yes I am for real. I run quite a few different addons with FS9 and have don't recall ever seeing more than 1.5GB being used between the lot of them. I don't have the Aerosoft AES, which may explain my ignorance, but if it were me I'd be taking the issue up with Aerosoft for them to fix, and expect you already are.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I have never used the 3g patch and dont intend to. A couple of years ago I installed O & Os clever cache which maximizes the use of the cache memory. Since then I never had any problems.My spec is basically AMD64 processor with 512 ATI graphics and currently flying EGLL-KMIA using the PMDG 747 and with Ultimate Terrain USA, Ground Environment Pro, ASV 6.5, all sliders set max right and I am getting 23 fps (locked at 26 anyway flying down the east side of the Florida panhandle.I have never seen my system use more then 1.5 gig on flightsim and everything combined as mentioned aboveJohn

Thats exactly my point, the issue was brought up and the 3gig patch fixed it. It needs to be applied correctly and I don't recommend anyone trying it unless they understand how to edit your boot.ini But it cured our issues.Also you can add a line to your boot.ini so your computer can dual boot with or without the patch.Rob

Rob Prest

"So you don't recommend the patch?"Not unless the patch serves a purpose for other applications, MSFS with properly coded and installed add-ons should not be using that much memory."What do you mean by "a few moved textures"?How do you recommend to put the textures."The answer depends on the add-on. Most packages put the textures in the right place, which for scenery is in the scenery add-on's texture subfolder, and for aircraft in the aircraft add-on's texture subfolder(s). Effects files are best put in the Flight Simulator 9/Effects subfolder, and gauge files are best put in the Flight Simulator 9/gauge folder. The best way I can answer that is read installation instructions carefully. The biggest risk are with add-ons that access textures often, such as scenery add-ons. If filemon is looking for a lot of texture.cab files that is a telltale sign that one or more scenery add-ons has probably placed its textures in the wrong place. You can identify the add-on by seeing (via Filemon) where MSFS is looking first. Texture.cab appears to be a place of last resort.Flying at 4x is going to risk blurring of textures regardless of the issues I noted, especially if you're flying above 2-300 knots. The sim can catch up, tho' much depends on the system."ps: can you please post replies to ghiomkl at hotmail dot com?"I'd rather answer in the forums, it gets challenging to start up private conversations with everyone who has these types of questions. I may not word something clearly and there's members here who are far better than I am in explaining things.Regards,John

>"So you don't recommend the patch?">>Not unless the patch serves a purpose for other applications,>MSFS with properly coded and installed add-ons should not be>using that much memory.**** Do you believe it can cause hard stuuters actually?*** How to make sure the patch is actually activated, on both FS9 and XP side?>"What do you mean by "a few moved textures"?>How do you recommend to put the textures.">>If filemon is looking for a lot of texture.cab files that is a>telltale sign that one or more scenery add-ons has probably>placed its textures in the wrong place. You can identify the>add-on by seeing (via Filemon) where MSFS is looking first. >Texture.cab appears to be a place of last resort.**** I have this for AI traffic texture files most often. I use actually this architecture for AC textures: For FFT, I do texture.FFT and then do subfolder N911FT for example for this livery. So my aircraft.cfg reads texture=FFTN911FTIs this correct?I also use subfolders a lot for addon sceneris. I group them under addon scenery by designers, say addon sceneryMach-1KAMASceneryCan this cause a problem?Thanks very much for your explanationGhiom

"**** Do you believe it can cause hard stuuters actually?*** How to make sure the patch is actually activated, on both FS9 and XP side?"I don't have the patch so can't answer these questions."**** I have this for AI traffic texture files most often. I use actually this architecture for AC textures: For FFT, I do texture.FFT and then do subfolder N911FT for example for this livery. So my aircraft.cfg reads texture=FFTN911FTIs this correct?I also use subfolders a lot for addon sceneris. I group them under addon scenery by designers, say addon sceneryMach-1KAMAScenery"As long as your aircraft.cfg points to the right texture subfolder you should be OK. But I don't try to "nest" my folders too deep. I never (for instance) have subfolders within aircraft texture subfolders, same goes for scenery.But I think you need to instead focus on what filemon tells you it cannot find. If it's looking in a cab file, why? Where and what did it look for prior to looking in the cab file?MSFS should not have to struggle to look for anything, bottom line. If it does based on my own experience and many others', it seems to take memory during long sessions. If you are having serious problems with FS9 performance, there is (or was?) an entity called FS-GS that would "hold your hand" and help optimize your system. Most forum members here (myself included) don't have the personal time to walk thru member issues. We can only suggest general ideas. But for a pretty small fee compared to the price of most add-ons, FS-GS may be able to help. I haven't used FS-GS--I am a Network and Software engineer by profession and seek my own counsel. But given my bandwidth is meant for my profession and FS-GS's bandwidth is built around helping people enjoy MSFS more, they may be able to help you and for the price of your average add-on, help the sim shine for you. I have no relationship with them, but anecdotal reports here seem to suggest they can help make the sim work better. Based on your questions that may be quite true. Here is a link to their site:http://www.fs-gs.com/Regards,John