Sign in to follow this  
aeolus

Flying through rain, clouds, -odd behaviour

At the end of a flight last night in my beloved DF 727 and running Active Sky 6 wx, I was on a long final, ILS 5L, KIND. It was raining with visibilities right at minimums and a 10kt head wind, no big deal. The aircraft was barely controllable (I was hand flying the aircraft)! It was like I was Flying through a hurricane! I was being blown around like a leaf in the wind. Elevator or aileron input seemed to have little effect and then, wham, the effects seemed very exaggerated. My question is this; is there some setting in flight sim or Active Sky that might be causing such erratic behavior? I fly in windy conditions all the time with out this effect. Could it be the rain/clouds? It can't be my flying :).Thoughts?

AS6.5 simulates wake turbulence. It acts more like severe windshear and combined with rough weather conditions it's lethal. Did you have any traffic ahead of you? I only fly on Vatsim now but when I did use AI I always switched wake turbulance off.Rob

Rob Prest

yep, I would take Rob'recommendation and turn off wake turb. within Activeske as I find it is no modeled very good.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Try turning down the TurbulenceScale to 0.30000 in the Weather section of FS9.cfg. Backup the file before you edit it. This effects how the aircraft responds to turbulence.In the Winds and Turbulence section of the AS 6 options page turn on wind smoothing. Turn off both wake settings. You might also wish to turn down turbulence frequency. If you are approaching over uneven terrain with wind blowing I believe AS will generate vertical drafts as in the real world.

What about icing?You said you were flying thru clouds, your controls would become sluggish and movements would be exaggerated.Did you have de-icing switches on whilst flying thru cloud?

Thanks for the responses, all of you. I don't have the wake effect enabled as well as any icing. I did have the VAS (verticle air simulation - updrafts and down drafts) box checked, so that might have had somthing to do with it. I'm going to have to play around with this, see if I can recreate the condition I had last night. Regards, -R.