Sign in to follow this  
Guest F15Driver

Putting Addon Airport Scenery above UT

Guest F15Driver

I've always put Ultimate Terrain USA as number one in my scenery settings for FS9 and airport addons (Fly Tampa/Imagine/Megahubs etc) below UT and have never had an issue (except the known problem with SimFLyers KPHX).However, I noticed at Fly Tampa KSEA that the aircraft bounces heavily on the apron and taxiways. I asked another pilot (VATSIM) if this was unique to KSEA and he said it could be fixed by putting addon airport scenery above UT. I have all the current patches etc installed.Is he correct? or should UT remain at the top?Thanks in advance.F15DriverAMD FX-62 dual core4GB Corsair DDRNvidia GX2 7950 (1GB video)Raptor 10000rpm HDDell 24"FS2004/WinXP

I've always had UT at the bottom of my lists and never had a problem.As for the bouncing at Seattle, move your Seattle Aerial Scenery ebtry right above your Flytampa KSEA and that should fix that.Like this: [Area.123]Title=KSEA SeattleLocal=Addon SceneryFlyTampa-SeattleRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=123[Area.124]Title=Seattle Aerial PhotoLayer=124Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesSeattleRemote=Cheers

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Actually, the BEST way to maintain compatibility is to move all of the UT layers down below the aerial photo layers:[General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=FALSE[Area.001]Title=Default TerrainLayer=1Active=TRUERequired=TRUELocal=SceneryWorldRemote=Texture_ID=1[Area.002]Title=Default SceneryLayer=2Active=TRUERequired=TRUELocal=SceneryBASERemote=......and so on[Area.012]Title=South AmericaLayer=12Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=ScenerySameRemote=[Area.013]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Canada/AlaskaLayer=13Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTCANADARemote=[Area.014]Title=Ultimate Terrain - USALayer=14Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTUSARemote=[Area.015]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 1Layer=15Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEUR1Remote=[Area.016]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 2Layer=16Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEUR2Remote=[Area.017]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 3Layer=17Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEUR3Remote=[Area.018]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 4Layer=18Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEUR4Remote=[Area.019]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 5Layer=19Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEUR5Remote=[Area.020]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 6Layer=20Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEUR6Remote=[Area.021]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe LightsLayer=21Active=FALSERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEURLTRemote=[Area.022]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Ind/Comm LandclassLayer=22Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SCENERYUTEURLCRemote=[Area.023]Title=Amsterdam Aerial PhotoLayer=23Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesAmsterdRemote=etc...it's alot of renumbering, but only needs to be done once.And to Clarke, you should really switch those two around if you don't want to go through the entire renumbering process. If your way is working for you, great, but as you have it written, the default photo has a higher priority than the FlyTampa scenery, when all you want is for the photo to be above UT.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest F15Driver

I'm a bit confused based on Jim's input...so, if I want UT at the top I renumber it so it's at the bottom of my scenery.cfg? Brian, so in your scheme, where do addon airports fit?Here's a copy of my scenery.cfg: [General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=FALSE [Area.001]Title=Default TerrainTexture_ID=1Layer=1Active=TRUERequired=TRUELocal=SceneryWorldRemote= [Area.002]Title=Default SceneryLocal=SceneryBASELayer=2Active=TRUERequired=TRUERemote= [Area.003]Title=AfricaLayer=3Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryAfriRemote= [Area.004]Title=AsiaLayer=4Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryAsiaRemote= [Area.005]Title=AustraliaLayer=5Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryAustRemote= [Area.006]Title=Eastern EuropeLocal=SceneryEURELayer=6Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.007]Title=Western EuropeLocal=SceneryEURWLayer=7Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.008]Title=Central North AmericaLocal=SceneryNAMCLayer=8Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.009]Title=Eastern North AmericaLocal=SceneryNAMELayer=9Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.010]Title=Western North AmericaLocal=SceneryNAMWLayer=10Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.011]Title=OceaniaLayer=11Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryOcenRemote= [Area.012]Title=South AmericaLayer=12Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=ScenerySameRemote= [Area.013]Title=Amsterdam Aerial PhotoLayer=13Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesAmsterdRemote= [Area.014]Title=Anchorage Aerial PhotoLayer=14Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesAnchorRemote= [Area.015]Title=Atlanta Aerial PhotoLayer=33Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesAtlantaRemote= [Area.016]Title=Chicago Aerial PhotoLayer=34Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesChicagoRemote= [Area.017]Title=Dallas Aerial PhotoLocal=SceneryCitiesDallasLayer=15Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.018]Title=Denver Aerial PhotoLocal=SceneryCitiesDenverLayer=16Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.019]Title=Heathrow Aerial PhotoLayer=17Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesHeathrowRemote= [Area.020]Title=Hong Kong Aerial PhotoLayer=18Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesHongkongRemote= [Area.021]Title=Kitty Hawk Aerial PhotoLayer=19Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesKittyhwkRemote= [Area.022]Title=Las Vegas Aerial PhotoLayer=20Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesLasvegasRemote= [Area.023]Title=Los Angeles Aerial PhotoLayer=21Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesLaRemote= [Area.024]Title=Miami Aerial PhotoLayer=57Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesMiamiRemote= [Area.025]Title=New York Aerial PhotoLocal=SceneryCitiesNewYorkLayer=22Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.026]Title=Niagara Aerial PhotoLayer=23Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesNiagaraRemote= [Area.027]Title=Oshkosh Aerial PhotoLocal=SceneryCitiesOshkoshLayer=24Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.028]Title=Paris Aerial PhotoLayer=29Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesParisRemote= [Area.029]Title=Phoenix Aerial PhotoLayer=26Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesPhoenixRemote= [Area.030]Title=San Francisco Aerial PhotoLayer=27Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesSanfranRemote= [Area.031]Title=Seattle Aerial PhotoLocal=SceneryCitiesSeattleLayer=31Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.032]Title=St. Maarten Aerial PhotoLocal=SceneryCitiesStmaartenLayer=28Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.033]Title=Sydney Aerial PhotoLayer=30Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesSydneyRemote= [Area.034]Title=Tokyo Aerial PhotoLayer=32Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=SceneryCitiesTokyoRemote= [Area.035]Title=Generic LibrariesLocal=SceneryGenericLayer=35Active=TRUERequired=TRUERemote= [Area.036]Title=Vehicle LibrariesLocal=SceneryVehiclesLayer=36Active=TRUERequired=TRUERemote= [Area.037]Title=Propeller ObjectsLocal=ScenerypropsLayer=37Active=TRUERequired=TRUERemote= [Area.038]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryLayer=25Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.039]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Canada/AlaskaLocal=SCENERYUTCANADALayer=76Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.040]Title=Ultimate Terrain - USALocal=SCENERYUTUSALayer=77Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.041]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 1Local=SCENERYUTEUR1Layer=45Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.042]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 2Local=SCENERYUTEUR2Layer=44Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.043]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 3Local=SCENERYUTEUR3Layer=43Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.044]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 4Local=SCENERYUTEUR4Layer=42Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.045]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 5Local=SCENERYUTEUR5Layer=41Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.046]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe 6Local=SCENERYUTEUR6Layer=40Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.047]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Europe LightsLocal=SCENERYUTEURLTLayer=38Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.048]Title=Ultimate Terrain - Ind/Comm LandclassLocal=SCENERYUTEURLCLayer=39Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote= [Area.058]Title=Boston-Logan2Local=C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon SceneryBoston-Logan2Remote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=61 [Area.059]Title=LGA2004Local=Addon SceneryLGA2004Remote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=59 [Area.051Title=FlyTampa-MaartenLocal=C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon SceneryFlyTampa-MaartenActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=051 [Area.052]Title=WASHINGTONLocal=Addon Scenerycloud9WASHINGTONRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=70 [Area.053]Title=Imagine Simulation - KCLT CharlotteLocal=Imagine SimulationKCLT CharlotteRemote=Required=FALSEActive=TRUELayer=75Flatten.0=748,N35 14.01,W80 57.56,N35 14.01,W80 55.40,N35 11.68,W80 55.40,N35 11.68,W80 57.56 [Area.054]Title=MAIW RAF LakenheathLocal=Addon SceneryMAIW RAF LakenheathRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=46 [Area.055]Title=Brussels SC for FS20Local=DreamFactoryStudioBrusselsBrussels_Airport_LCSceneryActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=47Remote= [Area.056]Title=Brussels SC for FS20Local=DreamFactoryStudioBrusselsBrussels_Airport_SCSceneryActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=48Remote= [Area.057]Title=FreeZ_LCLocal=Addon SceneryFreeZ_LCRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=68 [Area.058]Title=FreeZLocal=Addon SceneryFreeZRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=058 [Area.059]Title=UK2000 Gatwick XtremeLocal=C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9UK2000 sceneryUK2000 Gatwick XtremeActive=TRUELayer=059Remote=Required=FALSE [Area.060]Title=Imagine Simulation - KMCI Kansas CityLocal=Imagine SimulationKMCI Kansas CityRemote=Required=FALSEActive=TRUELayer=62 [Area.061]Title=ManhattanLocal=aerosoftManhattanActive=TRUELayer=56Required=FALSERemote= [Area.062]Title=KPHLLocal=SimFlyersKPHLRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=72 [Area.063]Title=KORDLocal=OceanflightMegaHubsUSAKORDRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=63 [Area.066]Title=FlyTampa-MiamiLocal=Addon SceneryFlyTampa-MiamiRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=58 [Area.067]Title=FlyTampa-SanDiegoLocal=Addon SceneryFlyTampa-SanDiegoRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=66 [Area.068]Title=EDDF_LCLocal=aerosoftEDDF_LCActive=TRUELayer=53Required=FALSERemote= [Area.069]Title=EDDF_2005Local=aerosoftEDDF_2005Active=TRUELayer=54Required=FALSERemote= [Area.070]Title=AESliteforGAP-EDDFLocal=aerosoftAESliteforGAP-EDDFActive=TRUELayer=52Required=FALSERemote= [Area.071]Title=GA1 BundleLocal=AerosoftGA1 BundleRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=50 [Area.073]Title=FlyTampa-TampaLocal=Addon SceneryFlyTampa-TampaRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=60 [Area.074]Title=CYYZ2007Local=Addon SceneryCYYZ2007Remote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=64 [Area.075]Title=FlyTampa-MaartenLocal=C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Addon SceneryFlyTampa-MaartenRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=51 [Area.049]Title=Rome (terrain)

Hi F15,Not directly related to your question but I saw you have a double entry for FreeZ in your scenery.cfg file.Free Z is listed both at layer [Area.058] and [area.82].I would recommend to delete one of these entries.BTW: My UT europe is placed just above the default sceneries which means that every single add-on scenery has priority over UT.Best regards,Sylvain

Download my repaints at AVSIM.

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT 256Mb - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - Western Digital 250Gb - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP2 - FS2004

Actually there is no renumbering involved at all.If you move your scenery around.After just run FS manager (available in the Library), Set check for scenery errors.Then fix.FSM will them renumber everything in the order you have it.Nice & Easy.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Could you please give me a more exact name for the utility for setting the sceneries into the correct order in the scenery library? I looked under "FS manager" and it listed a ton of programs, not of which is the one for setting the proper order of sceneries in the Scenery Library. Thanks jerrycwo4

Guest F15Driver

You always learn something in these forums...I had no idea FSManager had that capability. Jim...if I understand your logic, what I have set in my FS9 scenery settings as number 1 priority ought to be last in scenery.cfg...I have UT USA/Canada loaded at the top and FreeLZ is number 18 in the scenery settings menu but last (therefore highest priority) in scenery.cfg???F15Driver

Just my 2cents worth here.There is absolutely NO reason to edit the scenery.cfg file unless specifically instructed to do so by the install instructions for a specific addon, typically to add a flatten or exclude switch.All priority issues should be dealt with in the sim scenery library.This makes it very easy to see who has priority over what by their location, a higher entry has a higher priority, it is that simple.Also, I do believe that by manually editing the scenery.cfg you drastically increase the possibility of creating an error.FS does not care about the [AREA.XXX] entry, the Layer= entry is what dictates priority, but it is not obvious because entries in the .cfg do not have to be in any specific order. Also, if you have 100 entries, Layer=100 has the highest priority not Layer=1.(except for mesh, another topic altogether)Moral of the story, forget about the senery.cfg, let FS worry about it, it will do a great job. Make your changes in the scenery library.[rant]

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Well, no, I'm sorry, it would take about 16 times as long to make the changes I've mentioned here, using the scenery library, as opposed to editing the scenery.cfg directly.I understand your point, K.I.S.S. etc., but editing the scenery.cfg is not akin to deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics so, I have a little more faith in the average AVSIMmer to get through it, I guess._____________To the OP:This is hardly MY method, a search of the UT forums will net you the same advice I gave here as the IDEAL method to maintain compatibility. Localized scenery stays as it is...no reason to mess with it. All you're doing is moving the UT entires, as a whole, to a lower priority position than the default aerial photo scenery. That's it. Cures a few little issues with UT, and gives you the photo scenery back as well.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Clarke,"Actually there is no renumbering involved at all."Now THAT is an excellent find.Thanks.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hi Brian,It was not my intention to insult anyone with my post, nor was it directed at persons experienced in manipulating the scenery.cfg. Also, nowhere in my post did I reference "Egyptian hieroglyphics". I will be the first to admit that .cfg files are simple text files, easily edited.That being said lets look back at the thread as a whole and the level of confusion and misinformation.The OP's original question was about priority levels in reference to UT.As you stated in your reply, Mr. Kruger's response places the default Seattle Aerial Photo at a higher priority level than the FlyTampa. I would think this will result in the default possibly masking some of the FlyTampa, however I don't have the FlyTampa and cannot verify this . Intuitively one would think the addon would want a higher priority than the default. This is not meant to insult Mr. Kruger, we have posted on common threads in the past and I find him to be a knowledgeable simmer. This might have been a typo or it might have been caused by the unintuitive quirk in the scenery.cfg that has scenery of a higher layer= number given a higher priority over lower numbers, meaning layer=1 is not the highest priority as it might seem.The next post states "bottom of the scenery.cfg is really the top of the scenery library in FS". This is true IF all [Area.xxx]entries match the Layer= entry and they are in consecutive order. However, FS does not care what order the entries are in, it will determine priority by the Layer= line in each entry regardless of its position in the .cfg. This is shown in F15's next post where close examination shows the majority of his entries do not have matching [Area.XXX] and Layer= numbers, yet FS sorts it out and loads without problems (not necessarily as intended, but nowhere does he mention that FS will not start).At the end of his post F15 states "Based on this, FreeZ has got the highest priority???". Obviously F15 does not understand how priority works in the scenery.cfg, nor does the following poster who agrees that "Yes, F15 your FreeZ is number 1 in FS". I do agree with Jim that "The safest way is through the FS04 library and not through the .cfg file.". At a quick glance it appears that F15 has 82 entries in his scenery.cfg which means that whichever entry has Layer=82 will show up in the sim as priority 1.A closer look reveals that the Highest Layer= entry is [Area.040]Title=Ultimate Terrain - USALocal=SCENERYUTUSALayer=77Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=What this means is that in F15's scenery library the top priority entry is UT-USA and the bottom entry (of which there should be 77) is default terrain which is Layer=1.This is confirmed in F15's next post "I have UT USA/Canada loaded at the top". F15 is still struggling with priority "I have UT USA/Canada loaded at the top and FreeLZ is number 18 in the scenery settings menu but last(therefore highest priority) in scenery.cfg???" by trying to set it in the .cfg instead of the library where it is obvious, an entry has priority over all entries below it (except mesh, another story).Then we get into discussions about editing the .cfg versus moving entries in the libraray. Here you state "it would take about 16 times as long to make the changes I've mentioned here, using the scenerylibrary, as opposed to editing the scenery.cfg directly" and "Actually there is no renumbering involved at all." how does one edit priority in the .cfg without renumbering?You suggest that F15 move his UT-USA entry from Layer=77 to Layer=14. That means that every entry between those 2 needs to be renumbered as you said "etc...it's alot of renumbering, but only needs to be doneonce." So which is it a lot of renumbering or no renumbering required, I am confused by your posts. And is keeping all those numbers straight easier than highlighting an entry in the library and pressing the "D" key until it is where it wants to be? Anyway, when you refer to the "average AVSIMmer" I am not sure who you are talking about.All I know is my post was meant to display to anyone reading it MY OPINION that priority issues are best dealt with in the sim, not by editing the scenery.cfg.F15, I do think your scenery.cfg is in disarray. As I said in my first post I think it best for you to rearrange it in the sim library and not the .cfg file. What you see in the sim is what you get. Entries have priority over all entries below them. I would follow Brian's suggested order, not his method.I hope this helps clear things up for all and again, I do not intend to insult or demean anyone with my posts. My intent is to help educate and inform in the same manner others have helped me in the past.Good day to all.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif