Sign in to follow this  
Nic

Weather DLL Problems.

Hi GuysThere I was ready to depart KSEA-KPDX on a positioning flight, everything ready.I decided to select customise weather to add to the flightplan, and then my sim crashed.I restarted the sim and it happened again, so, I experimented, the same thing happened when I selected to download real world weather. The sim froze and said that the weather dll was part of the problem. However if I set Weather themes all is well and the sim runs fine.I checked my sound card In DXDIAG Initially it would not play the "Test direct music" test but upon resetting my Audigy 2 to default settings all is fine. I mention this because I once read somewhwere that sound card problems my cause weather problems in FS9.I only use FS9 weather no addon weather makers etc. I have tried to replace Weather DLL with a backed up copy to no avail.Also if I select customise weather from initial start menu it just crashes straight back to the desktop.Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest Jeffhew

Well, I'll take a shot here. I'm curious as to what point the crash occurs. Is it when you select real world weather or when you select the OK button? Do you see the the sim download the weather or does it even get that far?Without putting you through a big Q&A session, these are just a couple of things you might try. 1. Look at your FS9.cfg and make sure the program is pointing to the right server. You should see this somewhere under the weather section: WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com WeatherServerPort=80 ( WeatherGraphDataInDialog=02. Instead of starting FS with the normal FS icon, go to C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Flightsother and click on FLTSIM.FLT. This is the default flight at KSEA. Starting this way will bypass the startup screen and start you out on the RWY at KSEA. Then try to get the RW weather from there just to see if it works.3. If all else fails, you could delete your FS9.cfg (make a copy first), and start FS9. FS will generate a new FS9.cfg on startup.You mentioned that you tried a backup of the weather.dll. You might try getting it off of the original program disks although, the fact that it is only the RW weather that is not working correctly makes me think that this really isn't the problem. I could be wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time.Anyway, I hope this helps you out.Best Regards,Jeff

Jeff Firstly thanks for the reply. If I select real world weather/customise weather on the weather selection menu prior to flying the sim instantly CTDs. If I select a flight (KSEA) then select weather from drop down menu once again either real world or customise, the sim just freezes and Microsoft error box appears. Once again weather themes are not affected flew for an hour last night in Fair Weather and all was fine. Ref:- 1. FS9 CFG is pointing to the right server.All entries present. 2. Tried your suggestion, no luck ( but learnt something new!!!) 3. Will try that

Guest Jeffhew

Sorry that didn't help. Just for shits and giggles, I removed my weather.dll file and the sim won't even start up without it. I get a message that "the weather.dll file is either missing or damaged" and "FS will now quit" along with advice to re-install FS. It doesn't even get to the create a flight screen. I then tried leaving the file where it is but I corrupted it intentionally. Same result. If you're able to get that far into the sim, then there must be another issue causing the problem because, as I mentioned, FS checks for that file at startup. I know this doesn't fix your problem but, maybe it will help narrow it down. If I can do anything else to help, please let me know.Best Regards,Jeff

Thanks for your research Jeff, I'll just have to persevere.

Hi,Try deleting the weather.bin file in the folder whereyour fs9.cfg resides.I had the same (I think weather server was corrupted last week).H.A.N.D.

Hi Mick Where do you live I owe you a pint mate, I was just on the verge of a Windows re-install I had the disks in my hand and thought I would have a last look on the Forum. If you are in the UK and coming past Daventry I'll buy all the drinks you want. Jeff thanks for your input too it was much appreciated.

>Hi Mick>> Where do you live I owe you a pint mate, I was just on the>verge of a Windows re-install I had the disks in my hand and>thought I would have a last look on the Forum. If you are in>the UK and coming past Daventry I'll buy all the drinks you>want.>> Jeff thanks for your input too it was much appreciated.H.A.N.D.Hi,Yes I'm near Peterborough - We've never met - so how did you knowI like a little beer - (Real Ale).Only too glad too help out - I know how frustrating itcan be (thats probably what makes me drink a pint or three).