Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveusmc1775

ADD-ON FS9 Scenery and Textures out of place?

Guest daveusmc1775

I'm running FS9 with: FS Terrain, Ultimate Terrain, World Airports 2,Active Sky 6.5, GE PRO, Flight Environment and Ultimate Traffic.Now... I will address one issue at a time here and try to keep it simple. While at KSEA ''for example'' [seattle Tacoma Int'l.] I see taxiway signs standing out in the middle of nowhere...and other airports as well within FS9. Cleveland Hopkins Int'l. Apt. Ohio [one or two runways seem to run down a hill. I am familiar with these runways and the earth don't sloap! What's with this? I could slide off the rwy into somebody's ''yard''...makes no sense. I have to taxi across a field to get to a rwy..Some taxiways run across grass to get to a major rwy..I see ships on land instead of on the shore getting off-loaded; the ''red structures'' I see surrounding the ships should be on the shore loading/off-loading the ships/barges, not in the middle of land. I also see buildings on partial land/water around the entire area. Boats on land again instead of the water, over and over.Sh#t is just simply out of place...I won't go on and on about this.Is there someting I did wrong upon installation? I don't think so,but ya never know!Next: Now, sometimes I see this... Aircraft are parked in any which way you can imagine: through buildings, behind buildings and the yellow parking guides or lines don't make sense...they go every way you can imagine. Across the grass[suppossed to be a taxiway] and across some fields. What causes this?It seems to me something was not codes right, although I'm not anything close to a Programmer! I can't figure out... which software I installed is screwing up! Also, on some shorelines I see blue water running over the edges of some terrain...not much of a problem, than seeing the previous things I've mentioned. I have some photos if anyone would care to see them. I noticed this in Warsaw Poland as well... as another example, roads going across water instead of a bridge. I can provide example jpegs if you want.Hope I can get some help on this one.Thank's,DJSemper Fi !

>I'm running FS9 with: FS Terrain, Ultimate Terrain, World>Airports 2,Active Sky 6.5, GE PRO, Flight Environment and>Ultimate Traffic.>>Now... I will address one issue at a time here and try to keep>it simple. >>While at KSEA ''for example'' [seattle Tacoma Int'l.] I see>taxiway signs standing out in the middle of nowhere...and>other airports as well within FS9. >>Cleveland Hopkins Int'l. Apt. Ohio [one or two runways seem to>run down a hill. I am familiar with these runways and the>earth don't sloap! What's with this? I could slide off the rwy>into somebody's ''yard''...makes no sense. I have to taxi>across a field to get to a rwy..>>Some taxiways run across grass to get to a major rwy..>>I see ships on land instead of on the shore getting>off-loaded; the ''red structures'' I see surrounding the ships>should be on the shore loading/off-loading the ships/barges,>not in the middle of land. >>I also see buildings on partial land/water around the entire>area. Boats on land again instead of the water, over and>over.>Sh#t is just simply out of place...I won't go on and on about>this.>>Is there someting I did wrong upon installation? I don't think>so,>but ya never know!>>>Next: Now, sometimes I see this... Aircraft are parked in any>which way you can imagine: through buildings, behind buildings>and the yellow parking guides or lines don't make sense...they>go every way you can imagine. Across the grass[suppossed to be>a taxiway] and across some fields. What causes this?>>It seems to me something was not codes right, although I'm not>anything close to a Programmer! I can't figure out... which>software I installed is screwing up! >>Also, on some shorelines I see blue water running over the>edges of some terrain...not much of a problem, than seeing the>previous things I've mentioned. >>I have some photos if anyone would care to see them. I noticed>this in Warsaw Poland as well... as another example, roads>going across water instead of a bridge. >I can provide example jpegs if you want.>>Hope I can get some help on this one.>>Thank's,>DJ>>Semper Fi !>Ok, Taxiways and aircraft parking in odd locations: I think must be because you have either a new (realistic?) AFCAD Airport Facilities file but default scenery or some add-on airport scenery and no new AFCAD. Taxiways and airport parking etc are controlled by the AFCAD file. I don't know but perhaps Ultimate Traffic added AFCADs for default airports over the top of the World Airports ones. I suggest a reinstall of World Airports (if those airports with problems are in the package).Objects on land that should be in the sea is an easy one: MS default terrain - where the coast is etc was just wrong in several places. Ultimate Terrain fixed that but does not move the objects. Some local fixes are available from UT and in file libraries...Roads over water instead of bridges is a known problem. Some fixes are available for specific places but mostly you either live with it or remove these road sections using the options of Ultimate Terrain.The sloping runways in Ohio I don't understand - perhaps just an incompatability - read the readme files of the sceneries (airports package) and see if there's a specific order the scenery layers need to be - then change as needed in FS Scenery library.For installing this kind of stuff, others will probably disagree but I would always install in the following order:- Base (FS9 + FS9.1 update)- Terrain- Textures (Environment add-ons)- Traffic package (with it's AFCADs)- AirportsAircraft and Weather programs don't really interfere too much so install them whenever you like but I'd recommend before GE in case they both want to give you some sky textures. If ASV6 comeas after GE, it will backup GE textures it overwrites as an recoverable option.Hope this helps, have fun tweaking the sim!Geoff PS. A note on AFCADs - make sure you don't have duplicates for any one airport. Some add-ons install the file to their own directory while others put it in Addon Scenery/Scenery. I always move them to the latter and rename them so they are all in the format AF2_XXXX.bgl where XXXX is the airport code - this way there is no chance of doubles!

Guest chris.eve

Not sure about the other issues, but your traffic program will have almost definitely added AFCAD's for many/most of the default airports, and possibly others as well. I suspect these are what are causing your airfield layout issues. Best go through the AF2*.bgl files installed by your traffic program and disable (delete or rename to *.bgx) any that clash with custom airfield layouts that you have. Be aware that any custom layouts that you do keep may not be as suitable for extended ai traffic and may need to be edited to suit if you don't see all that you expect to at any particular airfield.

Guest daveusmc1775

I appreciate the help from both.Unfortunately I'm not into editing these types of files. I guess I could learn, but to me it makes more sense to uninstall/reinstall ALL! Then don't do any of the updates since I don't know what the #### I'm doing anyways. I'm quite ok with editing .cfg files under instruction, but all the scenery files?WOW...not for me. What do you think?DJ

You shouldn't have to edit scenery files as such - in the case that there are fixes for specific problems you will need to just install them as per the instructions supplied.For AFCADs, you should look in the library here for "ScanAFD" which will net you a neat little program which tells you which airports have duplicate AFCAD files - if it reports duplicates for the airports where you have issues then you're on a good way towards solving the problem. Simply remove (best to rename .bgl to .xxx) the one which is wrong (most likely the ones from Ultimate Traffic).Eventually, there will probably come a time when you actually edit scenery files or textures etc but I think you can solve 90% of the problems you report by moving / renaming files and by looking for fixes that others have already made.Good luck!GeoffPS. A fully tricked out installation of FS9 takes a fair amount of maintainance - perhaps it is even a sub-hobby in itself!

Guest daveusmc1775

I appreciate the help from both.Unfortunately I'm not into editing these types of files. I guess I could learn, but to me it makes more sense to uninstall/reinstall ALL! Then don't do any of the updates since I don't know what the #### I'm doing anyways. I'm ok with editing .cfg files under instruction, but all the scenery files?Must have done an update to AFCAD files for Cleveland Hopkins and messed things up. I checked it out in my inspection vehicle...man what a mess. Have an airport layout of hopkins and visually compared the two. The terrain is off big time. Too many slopes in general. Not normal for this area...I know it very well and that helps me out for now. I think I should learn how to deal with this type of problem;I know I'll find more down the road. I need to learn how to work with AFCAD files but don't know where to begin. What do you think about a re-installation and what would I re-install? Sorry about the double reply...my editing feature timed out.Dave

"Must have done an update to AFCAD files for Cleveland Hopkins and messed things up."Dave, if you had used my new backup program, "Acronis Home II" you probably would NOT be having these problems. You see it has a "sub program" that puts your computer into a vertual state and you can make ANY and ALL corrections, additions, updates, changes etc and then check out all of the changes you have made to your FlightSim. If everthing is fine, then you can make all of these changes permanate, or if you see a problem with anything, check a box within the program, your computer reboots and all of your "changes" are gone and your computer is just like it WAS before you did what ever you did to mess it up. It is also one of the best backup programs I've ever seen. Worth it's weight in gold when you start screwing around with your Flight Sim. jerrycwo4PS here's the link: http://www.acronis.com/

Guest daveusmc1775

Geoff,Scanned with ScanAFD and found no duplicates at all. Just your AF2 bgl's, and F1UT bgl's. from UT.Some MAIW_AF2 bgl's were found.That's it. Looks like something else you mentioned. World Airports 2 or UT? I read you install preferences, but would that mean uninstalling FS9?Dave

Guest daveusmc1775

Thank's Coast Guard!I do have Aconis True Image, although I really don't use it for this purpose. I use a WD 250 GB external for b-up's. Except this type of b-up isn't the same as Acronis. I'll do some testing w/Acronis and my flight sims. Thank's again!Dave

Dave it's the "Try and Decide" portion of the program. I ALWAYS use this BEFORE doing anything to my flight sim. I can try any and everythings while in this mode and know that my present Fs2004 is SAFE. If I like the change (whatever kind) I keep it, if I don't I get rid of it and my computer is SAFE while i'm trying whatever addon of program that I want ti try. This is kind of like the old "Go BAck" program that saved me many, many times when computer programs or new installs gave me trouble. It's like this new Airport Chart Program that just came out. You can bet your last dollar that I'll be in the "Try and Decide" mode when I give it a try. jerrycwo4

Guest daveusmc1775

Thank's Jerry,I'm going to play around with it a bit. There are so many ways to b-up data. I never used the Acronis because my impression was that you needed to b-up the entire drive...or image it.Dave

>Geoff,>Scanned with ScanAFD and found no duplicates at all. Just your>AF2 bgl's, and F1UT bgl's. from UT.Some MAIW_AF2 bgl's were>found.>That's it. Looks like something else you mentioned. World>Airports 2 or UT? I read you install preferences, but would>that mean uninstalling FS9?>Dave>If you've only just installed everything and not made any "custom" changes that would take a long time to repeat then yes, I would suggest you uninstall the lot! Sounds harsh but the advantage is that you can then reinstall components one by one and run the sim in between to see which add-on is bringing you pain!With the scan AFD, did you remember to uncheck the bit where it only would look in default locations? Were any F1UT bgl files reported as being for the same airp as a AF2 file? If so, this is already a problem. As a quick test, you could disable all the F1UT AFCAD files (cut them to a folder not in the scenery lib) and check if the problems are still present...Geoff

Guest daveusmc1775

Yes, I've made custom changes, and I really don't want to go through with this again. All is b-up on my wd 250gb external hd. because I generally put my own panels/sounds in many add-ons. I ran a scan w/default directories ''unchecked''.I've selected ''All scenery directories - including disabled ones''. Ran scan seperately on both. Out of my 1586 entries, 78 were duplicates of the AF2 bgl's and F1UT bgl's. Some airports just listed the F1UT bgl's. At any rate there were many duplicates.Question; which folder do I remove the F1UT bgl's from so I can put them in a safe place for the quick test? My FS9 scenery folder with teh UT...sub folders?Dave

Guest daveusmc1775

''Question; which folder do I remove the F1UT bgl's from so I can put them in a safe place for the quick test? My FS9 scenery folder with teh UT...sub folders''?Disregard last statement. I had the wrong program on my mind at this point. I was thinking UT [ultimate Terrain]. My mistake!I meant the Ult. Tarffic folder. Where would I go from here? I see a folder AFCAD's, but with only two bgl files in it. I dont think UT backs up defaul AFCAD's, or does it? Don't see a b-up folder for it if it does. Could I just reinstall UT and this might take care of this mess I'm in?Dave

I wish I had read this topic before I messed around with a "Duplicate file eraser" program and screwed up the entire FS9..............must have taken out too many files of something so that now on Startup it shows the loading slider go to about 60% and then right back to the desktop..........have NO idea on how to fix this short of uninstalling the entire FS and then a new install.....problem is, I have bunches of payware and freeware collected over a couple years, so not sure where all the downloads are to recreate what I had, (do have download folders with subfolders for aircraft, sceneries, etc., but some programs are just in misc files).....in any case, I will get this Acronis II to do what you have suggested!! Thanks, B42L8...........PS, if anyone has any suggestions on a fix, or a process to save parts of the defunct FS9, so the reload would not be quite as big a nightmare, I would DEFINITELY appreciate the help!!