Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Hard to make screenshots at 150KB size for Avsim

Guest ThrottleUp

Hey guys,Im recently finding it difficult to make screenshots that come at or below the 150K size limit for Avsims screenshots forum. It seems even my smallest .jpg pics (640 X480) come to like 155K, 161K , 152K etc. :(Obviously many of you on here post excellent shots (at larger dimensions) that are well within limits. How do you do it? There some kind of software that lets you specify the dimensions & kilobyte size?This was never an issue before but recently Im finding it hard to output the shots at that size limit. The reasons escape me!!Thanks :)

Almost any image editing program will allow you to resize pictures.My favorite FREE editor is called Irfanview. Check it out at:http://www.irfanview.com/It will do almost anything the expensive programs can do and in some cases, do it better.

Throttle Up- Simple. Go into My Pictures, right click/highlight the pic you want converted. A popup will show- click on Send To which brings up another popup- click on Mail Recipient. This generates a Send Mail popup. In the lower left corner, click on Show More Options. Click on either Medium or Large (I prefer medium- 600x 800).Then click OK. This brings up an Email form with your pic reduced in size and already set up in the Attachment line.Here's the secret- drag the email page itself a bit till you can see the My Pictures page. Then click on the Email attachment line info and drag it back to My Pictures. Bingo, you've got a reduced JPeg in My Pics ready for AVSIM!Sounds complex - you'll quickly get the hang of it.( and another good use for multi monitors!)Alex Reid

Hi Nevin,Most good freeware image programs will offer a compression option for jpgs. I've been able to post at 1024x768 and though I come close to the limit, if I keep compression quality moderate, the images squeak thru.Another tip, if you can when you compose shots, try to get at least 20 percent sky/clouds. Compression looks for such areas where colors are similar. Same is true when you zip up a document with lots of blank space, it is appreciably smaller even if it has the same number of pages as a document with lots of prose.Here's one set of such shots I posted over the weekend:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=270947All were 1024x768. Not perfect, but given they were snapped from a P3/800 I think they suffice.Regards,John

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks very much for all your excellent tips everyone. Im going to try them all out byt applying them to an identical image and then looking at the size I end up with. I just spotted the JPEG compression-slider in IrfanView so Im gonna give that a shot first!!The email method is very original I must say, never thought of that!:)