Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

California fall off the map???

All,I have a strange problem that started tonight. I flew from KCEC to KSFO and saved the flight. I went back in to continue my trip KSFO - KPHX and the sim crashed. So I tried again and again, and it crashed. So I loaded KPHX and the sim loaded. I tried KLAX and it crashed, I tried KSFO and it crashed. I tried KDEN and it loaded. I can slew from Phoenix to LA and it is there but it won't load. What in the world is going on? Did CA finally fall off like they say it will?

I figured it out. It is my mesh. Something is broken cuz when I turn it off in the scenery menu, I can load again. What happened overnight is a mystery. Guess I don't care about mesh flying at FL440 in my Gulfstream.

Two possible issues. Most likely is you installed a scenery add-on that has a bad bgl, quite often, an AFCAD will do it. The scenery add-on could be meant for a place a million miles from California--when such an add-on is bad, the crash can happen anywhere.Sometimes it's hard to remember what add-on scenery I've placed most recently in the sim. An old trick I have is to search my entire Flight Simulator 9 folder hierarchy for files named scenery.dat, then sort the findings by date modified. When FS9 detects new scenery, this file is updated. In fact once I had an OOM error consistently on Sim startup. I installed an aircraft, and the self extracting executable was also kind enough to drop some scenery into the sim. A really bad file will cause an OOM error when the sim tries to create the scenery.dat and the sim will fail altogether.Attached is a small screen print of what I am talking about, showing my five or six most recent add-ons. Hope it helps. In my case, "Brenda" is a small UL strip I added for Arizona as that's where I fly trikes at when I am up to the drive. Being a former Californian, I moved to Arizona in the 90's so I could heavily invest in what I am sure will be, in a few million years or so, oceanfront property.However my relatives back east, thinking Plate Tectonics happens at the speed of a Phoenix Suns basketball game, were seriously afraid we'd fall into the ocean at any moment and urged us to get out of California. However, if the levy system fails in the Delta, California won't have to fall into the sea. The sea will fall into California. Sorry, I digress :)Regards,Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187232.jpg

A little off topic but I was curious about the search interface shown in your screenshot.Is that from Vista perhaps? It sure looks different from what I see using the XP search function.