Sign in to follow this  
daswon72

FS9 on Vista

I recently upgraded to a new system and, somewhat hesitantly, Windows Vista. I was fairly successful at installing and tweaking FS9 on my new computer but there's one problem I haven't been able to solve. I can only run FS9 in full-screen mode (I read other posts where users have had the same problem). I don't mind that so much but for some reason when in full-screen I get grainy and unusual textures, especially at night. During both day and night the sky textures, for example, do not blend together. They appear striated instead.Here are my system specs:AMD Phenom quad-core 2.3 GHz3 GB DDR2Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT1 TB Hard DriveI attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about. It's not great but hopefully it gets the point across. I've read numerous posts and tweaked and tweaked but it won't go away. Plase help before I lose my mind (not a lot left to lose).Thanks

Hi,I run FS9 on Vista with a GeForce 8600 GTS and don't have the problems you seem to have. My drivers are older, not the newest. You can try them, look for 163.75 drivers. The newest don't work for me and the AA won't work externally with nHancer at all with the latest drivers. Make sure you are running hi color 32 bit mode on your desktop and in the game settings. Try right clicking your FS9 icon and select properties, compatibility tab, check the box next to "disable desktop composition" and see if this clears up anything.I'll wait for results before suggesting any more...

Looks like a driver issue to me, also. I use the 169.44's with success on my 8800GT card. In fact, the only FS9 issues I've had with my new Vista PC have been related to the video card and not the operating system. Are you running FS9 in Win XP Compatibility Mode, and using Nhancer? It also helps to run FS9 in it's own directory outside Program Files.Good luck!John G.

John G.

Thanks for your responses. I was running a different driver and rolled back to the 163.75. I also hadn't thought about running FS9 in Windows XP compatability mode and hadn't been using nHancer. However, I tried all that and and am still having the same problem. When not in full-screen mode the textures appear to display properly but, as other posts indicate, FS9 acts very strangely and won't let you change views or do much of anything in the sim. I'm certainly not an expert but it does appear to be some kind of AA issue when in full-screen. Maybe I'm not using nHancer correctly. Any suggestions there?

By the sound of it, I assume you're using the in-game AA setting and that's why your AA is working in fullscreen without nHancer. Have you done the procedure wherein you disable the existing FS9 profile in nHancer and create a new one? This will allow AA to work in Windowed mode with the in-game AA setting unchecked, which is the only way I run the sim now. There is also a new beta version of nHancer that works well with FS9 (2.4.0 Beta 5). Be sure that the "Enhance In-Game AA Setting" box is unchecked in both Global and Profile settings, which the new beta version allows you to select - older versions had this setting greyed out.Keep in mind, I have a different NVidia card, so this may not work for you. Here's two threads with more detail about setting up nHancer:http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...um=1205424955/4http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?t=281John G.

John G.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I did but after following both of your suggestions I now have FS9 running smoothly in windows mode. No more full-screen mode, thank the Good Lord.It looks much better and, after some further tweaking, I've been able to get my frame-rate to average between 30 and 40 fps. Still some work to do but I think it'll get there.Thanks again for your help and information. It's still amazing to me that even after 20 yrs. of flight simming there's so much that I don't know.

Glad it worked for you! FS9 is a bit of a pain to tweak with the current generation of video cards, but it's well worth the effort.John G.

John G.

I'm glad for you too. If it weren't for tweaking, I guess it wouldn't be a hobby, it would be a game.dolph