Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

What IS this 'FS9 battery' problem?

Can anyone explain exactly what the problem is when, using a number of aircraft/panel combinations, avionics switches itself off just before or just after take-off?This is usually put down to "FS9 battery problem" in forums (as far as I can see). But why doesn't it happen with out-of-the-box FS9? And, moreover, how come I never experience it with a/c like PMDG's 737s and LVL-D's 767?I have just wasted some hours trying to fly an 'enabled' default MD-83 (changed air file so it is flyable) with what is supposedly a very good MD83 panel. Though the a/c flies, the cockpit instruments and ATC always fail after 10 minutes or so.I tried a supposed 'fix' from AVSIM file library, which changes the minimum voltages in the aircraft.cfg file: but it doesn't stop this happening in my setup at least. Also, I have unregistered FSUIPC, so cannot take advantage of the everlasting battery option in the registered version...If someone with the technical 'savvy' can explain where this 'bug' comes from, and why PMDG and LVLD a/c seem immune whereas others, which shall remain nameless, are not (are these payware a/c simply put out with shoddy panel programming?), I should be most interested to read about it.Thanks!Martin :-)

Guest ha5mvo

what panel are you using exactly?

Guest chris.eve

I've never met this problem, but if I did run into it, I'd consider that it was possibly a shareware gauge with a 10 minute time-out on it, so I'd start by dis-abling each gauge in turn to see if this fixed the problem.It's also possible that the problem is not battery, per-se, but generator related, in that the battery isn't getting charged for some reason.Just my tuppence-worth, to give you something to try until someone comes up with a definitive answer.

I believe the issue is to do with the way that generators are switched on in some add-on panels.In the default FS9 aircraft, when you turn on the master switch and start the engine(s) the generators are automatically switched on as well. The generators then supply electrical power so that the battery is recharged and avionics continue to work throughout the flight.In some add-on panels and aircraft (the PSS airbuses immediately spring to mind) the generators are not automatically switched on when you start the engines. The battery is then the only source of electrical power so that when it runs out of power after 10 minutes all the avionics go dead as well.The two possible solutions are to either assign a key press to generators/alternators so that you can switch them on independently of the panel or to always start your flight in the default cessna and make sure that both parts of the battery master switch are turned on before changing to the add-on aircraft.

Inserting electric_always_available=1 in the [electrical] section of the cfg file *sometimes* works. The fix that I've found works best is in the electrical section is to set the current draw for every element to a very low value, like .1 amps. For example avionics_bus = 0, 10, 17.0 Here the avionics bus is drawing 10 amps (second entry). I think FS is calculating power not as V*I but more like I^2R for some standard R and thus drains the battery very quickly. So if you're sitting on the ramp doing your preflight with the avionics bus on but no generator, that bus, plus all the other stuff that's on, will drain the battery. I've set most of my planes to 1 amp or even less and it seems to solve the problem. Drawback: your electric gauges will of course now read this very low current which is no longer realistic. I do keep the starter at 20 amps or whatever as they don't really matter. Once the engine/generator is turning there no more issue. Mike

The latest panel that has this problem is "fidgmd83panelv1.zip" (updated for FS2004), recommended for the MD-83.Matthew - your comment makes sense of course. I understood that the problem is with the generators, but I didn't see how to switch them on manually. There must be a key combination assignable in FS that I haven't noticed. I have added some small icons to some of my panels which turn on the Avionics (when this doesn't happen by default): I probably need to do the same with generators. I must admit, if I have to start flights with a default a/c then switch to the a/c I fly, I never bother to fly that plane: as I say, that's not necessary with some of the best payware a/c and I can only assume that payware planes (like PSS) where this is recommended just aren't "up to scratch" (at least in this respect).I've fiddled with cfg settings like this for months Mike, changing values for current etc., but never come up with something that really works to my satisfaction (don't care for the "always available" option as that precludes cold/dark starts - which I know are unrealistic anyway, but hey....!). Has any of this worked for you?Thanks for the replies,Martin

Guest jonthedoors

I had this problem myself a while ago.I found that it was easily solved, by assigning a kew assignment for "ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR - ON/OFF"I used Shift+B. While you're at it, I'd also recommend assigning key commands for "BATTERY - ON/OFF" command, and "AVIONICS - ON/OFF" command.I hope this works for you.-Jon.

I've set a key for generators: already had one for battery & avionics.I'd still like to know though why some a/c suffer from this and others don't. How come some payware a/c are put out with this obvious glitch? M.

Do you load your plane after starting the default flight?? I've also had instances where if I don't have the avionics switch on in the C172, then after I load the plane I'm actually using, none of the avionics work. I can't figure out a universal fix, so I just make a note on my printed out checklists to make sure AV is ON on the default before loading the other plane. Some planes need it, others start cold and dark and after I turn things on work fine. Mike

Guest ThrottleUp

**Edited**(Just spotted that the poster already knew this lol)

>I've set a key for generators: already had one for battery &>avionics.>>I'd still like to know though why some a/c suffer from this>and others don't. How come some payware a/c are put out with>this obvious glitch? >>M.Why is it a glitch? Did you run through the checklists and turn everything on?I mean, if the generators aren't running... seems to me there should be an error condition.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed, the issue is that according to the panel the generators are running, but according to whatever variable FS9 uses to store the generator status they are not. It's a glitch in the way that the panel interacts with FS9.

Guest Shalomar

I ocasionally have that problem in the default 206. Cycling the gen switch does the trick.Best Regards, Donald T. :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

>Ed, the issue is that according to the panel the generators>are running, but according to whatever variable FS9 uses to>store the generator status they are not. It's a glitch in the>way that the panel interacts with FS9.Ok... but I'm not so certain it's the panel's fault, to be honest. However, thanks for explaining further. :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69