Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thrust_Drag

Wanna Spice Up Flight Sim? FSEconomy

I was going well with the FSEconomy concept until I found out that time acceleration up to 16X can be used for flights. Yes I know that some people have limited time for flying and therefore desire time acceleration and that the FSEconomy system prevents you logging any more than 30 hours in a 48 hour period. However, to me the fact that there can be up to a 16X disparity in earning rate between those that fly realistically in real time and those that fly on hyper time waters the whole economic concept down to near pointlessness. Otherwise, I think it is a great concept and the community there has certainly gone to a lot of effort to make it a vibrant hub of activity.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Sorry you feel that way. Oh well, there are other ways to enjoy FS. I have flown it for too many years. I was getting quite bored with it lately until I found FSE. I don't see what difference it makes that 16x is available. If they want to do do their 30 hours in a day, good for them. I have used 16x to cut the long boring time between the two busy times. It isn't to hurry and make more money, it's to eliminate boredom in my case.If you find another way to spice it up, please share it. In the past, VATSIM put a kick into it for me until I couldn't find controllers on in my area when I was on so somebody else had to fill in and I got tired of it. I feel about VATSIM kind of like you feel about FSE. Once VATSIM becomes more populated I will return. Until then, I use default ATC.Dolph

Guest RonB49

I suppose that it comes down to "What is your goal?" The goal of the people who routinely fly at 16x seems to be accumulating stacks of vDollars. Other like yourself, Gary, go for realistic flight operations. I'm attempting to set up a realistic freight hub based on a real-world place. As long as you set your own goals and measure success against those goals, rather than who can accumlate the most money, then I think it remains fun.The great thing is that you don't need any vDollars to participate. You can rent a plane, pick up some jobs, go fly, and the rent/fuel/other costs are deducted from you profit when you land. It can be a real challenge too. Try renting a really expenseve plane and finding jobs that will keep it profitable; that in itself becomes a short-term goal. If you want to buy a plane or an FBO or a passenger terminal, you can save up and/or borrow money and keep flying at a 1x time rate to get'em paid off.It can be as real as you want.R-

>If you find another way to spice it up, please share it. I'd update the FSE application to allow saving of a flight and resumption at a later time from that saved flight. I'd disable time accumulation when time acceleration was used and discard flights that did not report in with a flight time within reasonable upper and lower limits (ie. cheat detection). AirSources Active Air Source program is a good example of this type of functionality being implemented in an ACARS program.By doing this, at least everyone would get a fair hours pay for a real hours flying. Given that many have accumulate much wealth already the fast track way, it is probably too late to introduce this fairly in to FSE without disadvantaging newcomers.>In the past, VATSIM put a kick into it for me until I couldn't>find controllers on in my area when I was on so somebody else>had to fill in and I got tired of it. I feel about VATSIM kind>of like you feel about FSE. Once VATSIM becomes more populated>I will return. Until then, I use default ATC.The irony is that VATSIM won't become populated unless people like you and I regularly log in as "bait" for controllers. I find a good compromise is to use FSX with FSInn on VATSIM, as you can have FS AI aircraft and use FS ATC while logged on to VATSIM. It's a pity it doesn't work that way with FS9, as it always disables ATC/AI when logged in to VATSIM in multiplayer.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Ron,I agree that it really comes down to satisfying your own goals, but I still have trouble reconciling that the fundamental basis for the economy concept, ie. accumulation of wealth and assets, can be skewed so much by the use of time acceleration.Just had another thought of how time acceleration could be factored in. The FSE program could keep track of real and accelerated time and report both to the FSE website. Each user could then have cumulative real and accelerated time tracked, and an overall average time acceleration factor could be calculated. This factor could be used to calculate a real time equivalent wealth and asset values that would displayed under each members profile. At least that way there would be a more level playing field for comparing members economic prowess!Gary

Gary,On the VATSIM subject, I have not used FSX lately at all except to compare locations in the two sims and I STILL like FS9 scenery better. Besides, FSX runs like crud on my modern machine so I can't use it. How can you use default ATC and VATSIM? I thought VATSIM was all about replacing default ATC? What am I missing here?dolph

A bit OT for the FS9 forum, but you can most definitely be logged onto VATSIM with FSX using FSInn AND have default ATC available for use and default AI appearing at the same time. This does not work with FS9 because as soon as you fire up FSInn from within FS9, it starts a multiplayer session that kills ATC and AI. FSX does not use a multiplayer session to log into VATSIM.Gary

I use FSE occasionally now. At first I was really hooked. I like high and fast rather than low and slow, so the only plane I use the Piper Cheyenne. The limitation I've found in FSE trying to find decent assignments; that is a good combination of pax, distance, and pay. I know this is part of the challenge, but there always seems to be a large number of unrealistic assignments. Also, a number of the Cheyennes in FSE are VFR only, which to me is a bit silly when a large turboprop plane has a number of its avionics disabled in FSE. Hence my choice of assignments is further limited by having only the IFR equipped Cheyennes available. The other thing the FSE people are very adamant about: no jets! I think they are really limiting their appeal by shutting out the bizjet end of commercial aviation. They claim coding is too difficult, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between operating a small bizjet and some of the larger planes (EMB-120 for example)they have in their stable. The best part of FSE is that it forces me to fly some places I never would have ever considered. Fun to plan a flight to some out of the way place. Mike

The Lear 45, Hawker Beechjet, and 3 Citation models have been available on FSE for a couple of months now.

Yep, I flew a Cessna CJ1 and made some money. I have flown some new planes I really like. The freeware Pilatus PC-12 is great, and the Piper Meridian with glass cockpit is nice, 250 knots is pretty fast.The CitationX is available but I haven't landed at a place that has one to rent.I agree about the $800 300 nm assignments but they are there for filler for those going that way already, I think.

Once an FBO is sold, does that make it unavailable for others to buy as well? Does the same apply to aircraft for sale? If so, than I would think the 16X acceleration allowance would create an unfair advantage for those who want to keep the sim realistic. If not, than I really don't care. I have only been a member of FSEconomy for a few days now but am already hooked. -Jeremy

Jeremy, the way I understand it, one person or group owns that FBO that was purchased, and it would not be available for purchase for you or me. The money that changes hands through that FBO are then that person's or group's money. I am starting to agree that there is some disadvantage with using 16x. I use it to kill the long straight and level myself, it's not to earn more money than you can in a given time period. If they can limit acceleration, then they could do away with it or better yet, track who uses it and when and only pay a percentage of what they would normally pay out. It would certainly be more fair that way.I have to put my blinders on now. I am using this service to enhance the time I spend on FS9 in that now I have to put a little effort into what flight I take and which plane I fly, so as to minimize the out of pocket amount. I haven't taken an assignment that costs me money (i.e. a pleasure trip) since I started although I did make a mistake and that cost a few bucks. So I'm using it to go different places and fly new planes basically.Dolph