Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeGTO

Any way to adjust gamma/brightness in FS9?

Guest MikeGTO

Having been unwillingly dragged into using an LCD monitor (my CRT died, and try finding a good new CRT monitor these days) I'm having to tweak all my games for best image quality again.FS9 is looking a bit washed out, and too bright at night. Is there any way to tweak overall gamma or brightness for FS9, and FS9 only? I'd much rather not change that setting globally (via vidcard drivers), since that will mess up other applications that look OK. Almost every other sim or game I have has the ability to adjust gamma independently, so you can set it how you like it without disrupting anything else. But I guess that's not Microsoft's way.A google search for FS9 and gamma turned up almost nothing useful, so I think I'm up the creek. But it never hurts to ask.As an aside, do any LCD monitors have really good black levels? The ones I've seen/tried can't do true black, and it makes space sims and night flying in FS9 much less immersive, flying thru a "dark gray" night.

Guest DK8290

What video card do you use. I have ATI so in the control centre I can adjust gamma and other things for full screen 3d games. It can be part of a video profile (I have one for fs2004 which I set before starting ... set for gamma, AA and AF and other settings)

Mike- I'm using an LCD in tandem with 2 CRTs in my triple mon setup. With a bit of colour balancing, I can't distinguish them apart. I would judge the LCD black to be just as black as the CRTs. Have a look at these pics. (The Windows Desk Top colour is also set to black.) These screenies are quite accurate to the actual display.The monitors are- Acer 17 LCD 5:4 AL1706, 2- KDS 19 CRTs- about 8 yrs old ! (The left mon is the LCD- could you tell?):) In my part of the world used CRTs are hard to get rid of- check your local 'puter shops or classifieds for freebies!Alex ReidMeigs Night Approachhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187564.jpgKORD Night Approachhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187565.jpg

I use a CRT. I have it calibrated for a gamma expanding the black area and then recalibrated within the driver for my photo editor.I still find shadow areas too dark such as reading daytime backlighted taxi ident signs. I have an NVidea 6800GT card, but eNHancer does not have a master gamma setting.I've noticed many screenshots here and other forums, plus poorly corrected shots in sim magazines suffer the same gray to black compression.Yes, I have the brightness turned up on the monitor but would prefer to do this in software so that when not in my photo editor or sim the screen display is normal.

Yes it is possible. Whether if you are using ATI or NVIDIA cards. You assign shortcut keys via the video driver software. I currently adjust brightness and contrast this way. Look out for unavailable F keys in FS9.I adjust those settings regularly before "simming". In the day time, I will increase contrast and for night flying I will increase brightness a bit.Pierre

Pierre