Sign in to follow this  
Guest nihongo

FS9 locking up and system crash! Help please.....

Guest nihongo

When using FS9 I have been plagued with system crashes (lockups) when using it. While I have using PMDG lately and seen the lockups while using it, I don't know where to start. I was not running any other programs this time (whereas before I had netscape and email in the background) and not flying over any photo scenery which I have.If I do a reinstall of FS9, do I just backup my scenery add-on file? Or should I just set one or two files to default (I have a full backup)?It is no use copying thousands of files when it may be just a couple.Since I deleted my scenery.cfg file (which I thought was responsible for my lockups (it may be VOZ scenery and switcher which may be causing me these crashes!)), when I start FS9 it asks me if I want to load FSSound.dll. Is this THE cause? :-)Thanks if anyone can help....

I am going to assume you made a typo when you wrote "I deleted my scenery.cfg file" - that you should never do.I hope you meant you deleted your FS9.cfg file.If that is the case, try opening your FS9.cfg file with Notepad and add the following to the bottom of it -[OLDMODULES]FSSound.dll=1Search thye cfg file first to see if there is already a [OLDMODULES] label. If there is, just add the FSSound.dll=1 line under it. If not, add the entire segment above.That should get rid of the message you see while FS is booting.This is only a starting point - there are a number of other things which can be done (checked) before resorting to a clean re-install.

Guest nihongo

>I am going to assume you made a typo when you wrote "I>deleted my scenery.cfg file" - that you should never do.>>I hope you meant you deleted your FS9.cfg file.>>If that is the case, try opening your FS9.cfg file with>Notepad and add the following to the bottom of it ->>[OLDMODULES]>FSSound.dll=1>>Search thye cfg file first to see if there is already a>[OLDMODULES] label. If there is, just add the FSSound.dll=1>line under it. If not, add the entire segment above.>>That should get rid of the message you see while FS is>booting.>>This is only a starting point - there are a number of other>things which can be done (checked) before resorting to a clean>re-install.Yes, was a typo. Thanks for the help. I'll try this out and see how I go.