Sign in to follow this  
trevorbee

Silent Flaps

Hi thereI downloaded Bill Lyons great little PA22 TriPacer but cannot detect any sound when operating the flaps. The sound.cfg file includes the following entry:[FLAPS]filename=pa22_flapHowever, the wave sound file pa22_flap is not included in the Sound folder.I have tried installing a flaps wave sound file from another aircraft but still no audible sound when I operate the flaps.I even tried replacing the whole Sound folder with another from a similar size aircraft but still no sound when I operate the flaps.Any ideas ?trevorbee in Auckland NZ

It indeed appears that sound file was omitted when the package was put together.You can try this:Search your default sound folder for any wav files which have "flap" as a part of the name (I found 15 on mine).Copy one of them to the Tripacer sound folder and rename it pa22_flap.wavFly the Tripacer and see if the flap sound is now present.If the result is acceptable, you would need to put a copy of it in each of the three versions of the Tripacer.You will likely find more than one wav file with flap as part of the name (as I did) and may want to try several of them until you get a flap sound you like.Hope this helps.

>It indeed appears that sound file was omitted when the>package was put together.>>You can try this:>>Search your default sound folder for any wav files which have>"flap" as a part of the name (I found 15 on mine).>>Copy one of them to the Tripacer sound folder and rename it >pa22_flap.wav>>Fly the Tripacer and see if the flap sound is now present.>>If the result is acceptable, you would need to put a copy of>it in each of the three versions of the Tripacer.>>You will likely find more than one wav file with flap as part>of the name (as I did) and may want to try several of them>until you get a flap sound you like.>>Hope this helps.>> Thanks for your reply David.I tried substituting flap sounds from several other aircraft to no avail (still silence when I operated the TriPacer flaps) but then I finally tried the default 172 flaps. That seems to work but only for full flaps. The first stage of flaps still operates silently. Still that's better than nothing. Perhaps this aircraft does not have power flaps which might account for the silence.

Guest Nealoc187

I don't know about the PA22 but the Piper aircraft that I have flown in real life don't have flap actuators it's just a large lever that you pull by hand and as such you can't hear anything. The pipers I've flown (PA28R, PA34) are much larger and newer than the PA22 so it wouldn't surprise me if the flaps on the 22 are manual as well.

>I don't know about the PA22 but the Piper aircraft that I>have flown in real life don't have flap actuators it's just a>large lever that you pull by hand and as such you can't hear>anything. The pipers I've flown (PA28R, PA34) are much larger>and newer than the PA22 so it wouldn't surprise me if the>flaps on the 22 are manual as well.Thanks for your input. I think that probably explains it.