Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bucifan

What is the logic behind FS choosing runways?

Been using sims for way too many years, know about resetting time by a few minutes to cause FS to reload traffic, etc. Know about closest and longest runways. But today, this has me stumped.Got Blueprint's new KMEM scenery, and was adjusting the AFCAD to my liking. Had FS in slew mode while working on the AFCAD, then noticed about 40 -50 a/c waiting to takeoff from r/w 27. The winds were shown as 350 @ 0. Restarted FS, made winds 340@8, then waited. Again, all a/c started to taxi to r/w 27, as well as incoming a/c. Instead of using the triple 18/36's, which are closer to the wind, and also longer than 9/27, they continue to migrate to 27.Just wanted to know the in order what parameters FS looks at to choose the active r/w. Could the AFCAD cause this, or would it be more with FS in general?Thanks!Rick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Look at List/Runways in AFCAD. Are there more than the visual runways listed? If so, then this is a star AFCAD and that makes 27 parallel to the 36's. So at that point they will taxi to the closest runway to take off.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thanks Tom. No this isn't a star Afcad! Runway 27 is very close to the FedEX ramp. If a FedEx a/c is the first to taxi, will ATC then decide to use 27, even with winds at 340 at 8? I flew a flight into KMEM from KORD, so I was arriving from the nw. ATIS said (can't remember the exact figures), but winds were definitely favoring the triple 36's. But initially, approach told me to expect 27. I am using Radar Contact. So I asked for 36R, closest to my parking. Then ATC started vectoring everyone to the 36's.This is just strange as 27 is the last on the list, and is the shortest runway. SO I am assuming then (maybe incorrectly), that the 1st a/c to taxi is what atc will assign the active r/w, again assuming non-star afcad.Rick