Sign in to follow this  
Guest pompomke

Plane not level when cruising

Guest pompomke

Not sure if there is a file to correct this but when I am at cruise level and flying straight, when I go to spot view, my plane still looks as if it's still climbing. Basically it's not level with the horizon.Is this a common problem or is it just me??Thanks

Actually it is quite common as real life aircraft almost always have a slight nose up attitude when they cruise - usually in the range of 3 to 5 degrees.I am sure someone one will provide a more techincal answer for you but for a layman's review of the "problem" and several suggestions for modifing an unduly high nose up attitude may I suggest you download and read Issue number 6 of Tips and Tricks for FS2004.Look for tips_and_tricks_6.zip here in the library.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...misc&DLID=63159

Guest pompomke

Thanks fro you replyI'm not that worried about it, just that when flying at high altitude, your plane maybe up slightly, but the contrails are not in line with your engines so it just looks funny.

It's true that most airliners have a bit of up nose attitude when in cruise, but it should not be excessive. Two factors can be used to adjust: in the[flight tuning] section of the cfg, increase the cruise_lift_scalar. Going from 1.0 to 1.1 is a 10% change. The other place is in the air file where the trim offset needs to lowered. This is in 1101. A value needs to be set so that the elev. trim is near zero in cruise. Mike

Guest pompomke

that makes sense.I've seen videos on youtube of large jets with contrails in line with the aircraft at straight level.I can understand why the physics makes the plane's nose pointed slightly up, but I like to fix the contrails as it looks a bit awful with contrails going at one angle and the engines another.

Guest ThrottleUp

Having noted that it IS natural/realistic for airliners to cruise slightly noseup I have come across addon jets in FS9 where its overdone. I had a 747 that looked like it wanted to go to the moon while in cruise and it was only after tweaking a setting in the .cfg that I got that nose back down properly.

If you have a problem with the contrails going one direction and the engines another, you'll really go nuts over the contrails in a crosswind. MS has never gotten that one right since contrails were introduced.

Contrails typically go whichever way the relative wind catches them as I'm aware.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach