Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

TI4600 Performance.

Flightsurgeon,Almost everyone knows that FS2K2 is CPU hungry, so upgrading to a high-end AMD or P4 2.4Mhz+ system should provide you a big boost in performance. However, before you make that committment in funds, let's try one simple test to see just how it improves your performance.First, switch to the 29.42 Nivida drivers as recommended by Andrew Tingle. Download his Nividia Tweaking Guide and Riva Tuner to set your system to the recommended settings. I followed the instructions implicitly, and I have the smoothest flying environment I have ever experienced with any set of drivers and settings. You should definitely see an improvement.I would be curious to know your results, so please post them. BTW: I have an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ processor (1.44 Mhz), 512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM, GEforce Ti4600 128 MB card, and running with Windows 2000 PRO operating system. With FPS locked at 20, it always stays at 20. No, the sliders are not all maxed, but the smoothness of flight was the result I was trying achieve.Good Luck!KeithP.S. The above recommendations won't cost you one additional cent to improve your system.

Well, I really appreciate your input but the link for the benchmarking of a GF3 and a GF4 is somewhat incorrect. My cpu is set-up just like his. I FOUND THE PROBLEM. ATC, turned off incread frame rates to 20-25 with everything maxed out. Most of you immediately jumped the bandwagon and stated that it was not the TI4600. The review also stated there was a 10% increase at best with a TI4600 when stepping up from a GF3. I tested both cards and I got some amazing frame rates. AA was set to 2x and A-filtering off. I agree with all of you on the processor issue and memory. I find that review to be incorrect. I do my ATC'ing on VATSIM with no problems at all.ThanksABE

Depending on your budget, you may consider saving some money by not going for the "latest, geatest" CPU.. Intel prices their processors so that you pay quite a premium for the newest technology.Based on what you've got today, you can accomplish your goal by spending $150 for a P4-2.4, another $150 for a quality board, such as Asus P4PE-L, and $60 for 512 Meg PC2700 memory. You'll have a great system that will consistently deliver 24 fps and you can stop fretting about the new video card not delivering.A 3 Gig CPU will not give you much perceived performance over the 2.4 unless you are into running bechmarks for fun..

Bert

Guest Bigshot

____________________________________________________________________p.s. I would appreciate some setting scenarios you guys have tried out.____________________________________________________________________Abe; build your system identical to the one Bobby has in the thread below. IT's the best bang for your buck. The PIV2.53 is priced extremely well for the performance. The ATI video card can keep the graphics going so you'll see no blurs and no lags. Just a very pretty picture with 4xAA & 16xAF. The PC1066 ram is the fastest on the planet although there is some new DDR stuff trying to catch up. FS2002 wants a fast processor, fast ram and a high end fast video card. Bobby has all three of those as do I. Good hunting!!!

Guest FPSFREAK

Abe, You may want to look into some of the new PC4200 Rambus that is out. There is a beautiful board from asus that can take advantage of the newer 232 pin RB. The stuff absolutely screams for about what you would pay for a new Dual Channel DDR board. The difference is although DCDDR is closing the gap it cannot compete. especially w the newer PC4200. According to some people here I know nothing but I do know how to build a good system w solid dependable components. Follow mine and Big's layout and you WILL not be dissapointed."Booby"

I think we may be mixing up two questions:1. what is a "great, well priced" system for running FS20022. what is the "newest, best" system for running FS2002Every 30 days, advancing technology brings us a new candidate for "best" system.. but taking $$ into account, it may be worth considering that "newest, best" technology often has double the cost of "great" technology..Current examples: Rambus 1066 RAM cost = 2X DDR 2700 Ram cost P4-2.8 = 2x cost of P4-2.4In each of these examples the benefit might be 20% and the cost difference 100%.. Since these questions often relate to a "limited budget" system, we should take $$ into account before responding only with what is the absolute fastest at time of writing, but also with what is the best "price-performer"..

Bert

Guest FPSFREAK

Bert, I would agree w you on most points except that in his very first post he stated that he wanted power and speed. How fast you want to go depends on what you want to spend. If I was building the system I wouldnt worry about the hyperthreading or the amazing clock speed. I would spend my money on a solid 2.5 or 2.66 P4 running on a P4T-533 board, 9700Pro and 512 Megs of Samsung RDRAM. This system will easily run at 2.8-3.0 Ghz all day without breaking a sweat, throw down amazing numbers and not wreck your wallet. Current prices for DDR are around $295 for 1 gig of PC2700 to $337 for PC3200. Unless he buys a board that supports Dual Channel DDR he could easily see the same performance from 512 Megs of Rambus vs 1 Gig of PC2700 for about $3 More. Your right though that sometimes we get caught up in the Bigger, Faster mentality but in all honesty, isnt that what most of us are after....Bobby

Fair enough.. bigger, faster is an exciting part of the hobby..I'm sure your system would make most (me included) green with envy..Still, with PC2700 selling at US$65 for 512Meg, it is hard to justify the price difference for Rambus.. lets see how the memory technology race develops.. Current price quote in CAN$: 512MB PC-333 PC2700 DDR 95.00 256MB PC-333 PC2700 DDR 55.00

Bert

Guest FPSFREAK

I'll take 4 Gig for that price..LOL But seriously Yes there is memory out there for that price. I just figured that if someone is going to spend the amount of money needed to build a machine like he speaks of he should use top quality memory to extract the performance he is looking for. Just out of curiosity, who makes that memory?. For that money my wifes machine just may get an upgrade. :)Bobby

Ok, I have narrowed down my motherboard selection to a simple INTEL board with HT support or a n ASUS board, the P4G8X. I have read many articles stating the RAMBUS and DDR war is almost at a dead heat. DDR is making some great advancements. What are your thoughts on this.Abe

P4G8X and GF4 TI 4600 (AGP 4X), good performance.The ATI , with the two latest set of drivers have improved a lot the performance and stability in FS2002 (with GF4 TI 4600 if you fly into clouds , the frames go down from 30 to 20-18; with the ATI doesn

How did your PSS Airbus PRO perform. I have the same software. I was wondering what the Frame rates were?Abe

Bobby, check the www.infonec.com website for pricing.. I buy all my stuff there.. and have never been disappointed. But that only really works for you if you are north of the Canadian border..;)

Bert