Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Captain Sim 707 - Fuel management question

If I load the Captain Sim 707 for takeoff and then take all the gas out of the Center fuel tank to lighten the aircraft substantially for takeoff, all the engines flame out in moments. Clearly this is a serious fuel management issue! How do I resolve this? I don't have this problem with any other aircraft in my huge FS9 fleet.Appreciate any advice/guidance, thanks!JS

Well, I guess that's one of the things that I just don't know...! There is no guidance on this in the official Captain Sim manual as far as I can see.JS

>>If I load the Captain Sim 707 for takeoff and then take all>the gas out of the Center fuel tank to lighten the aircraft>substantially for takeoff, all the engines flame out in>moments. Clearly this is a serious fuel management issue! >How do I resolve this? I don't have this problem with any>other aircraft in my huge FS9 fleet.>>Appreciate any advice/guidance, thanks!>>JSJSI do not have the captsim aircraft but I am assuming that there is some sort of fuel panel rendered.The fuel panel on the 707 reflects the fuel plumbing layout so that it very easy to trace the route the fuel travels from any given tank to engine configuration.Take a look at the picture.Green circles are the fuel checkvalves which prevent the crossfeeding from one tank to the other and also to prevent the motoring of boost pumps from other tanks, exception to this setup are the reserves or wing tip tanks which are designed to drain into tanks 1 and 4 respectively. Tip tanks have no boost pumps and are gravity drained into tanks 1 and 4.Blue or cyan colored lines show the path from the main fuel manifold through the fuel manifold valves ( numbered here in magenta 1 thru 4) to the respective engines.Fuel from any main tank can be fed to any one of the four engines.As an example to this: In a fuel imbalance situation, lets say Tank #2 some how has 2000 pounds of fuel more than Tank #3. The procedure to rectify this imbalance is to open all fuel manifold valves and switch off one boost pump at a time for the other Tanks (1, 3 and 4) so that Tank #2 is feeding all engines for a quicker solution. Once proper fuel flow is established, the remaining boost pumps for tanks 1,3 and 4 can be switched off until the situation is back to normal.***Note** When there is no fuel in the CTR tank the fuel manifold should always be pressurized with at least one of the manifold valves open with boost pumps on from either tanks 1, 2,3.or 4, Company policy usually dictates what that configuration should be.In your case there is no fuel in the CTR tank therefore to prevent starvation the boost pumps for tanks 1 thru 4 should be on (8 pumps total with low pressure lights out).Also check that you actually have fuel in the other four tanks.Douglashttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187797.jpg

There is a Fuel management document for the CS 707 but it is burried deep in their website. To find it, log in to captiansim.com, click the support tab, select technical support, then there will be two pull down menus; first one asking for product (legendary 707) and the next on (and here's the key) select "system programing (gauges)". then in an FAQ style document, you will find a entry called "Fuel Management". Copy the relavent text and paste it into word or what ever and save it in your CS 707 folder and there you are.Note also that the fuel tanks in the sim are configured like this:Right = engine 1 tankLeft = engine 4 tankcenter = center tankcenter3 = engine 3 tankcenter4 = engine 4 tankYou have to keep fuel in the engine tanks or they will starve and the engines will quit. I'm going off of memory on some of this, so bear with me. Also, the above fuel tank configuration is for the freighter, I believe. Good Luck!Regards, Robert

Robert and Doug:Thanks for your informative replies. This is great! Much appreciated. Now I can go from here and know what's going on.It's quite a scary transition going from the PMDG 747-400 to the Captain Sim 707, thinking you can just surf through everything because it's an older plane and therefore less sophisticated. I guess this is just a reminder that older actually means more complex and more work!Thanks again.JS

I did try RFP a long time ago but it was just too complex for me. I needed a co-pilot and an engineer! It is great but it's not for me.JS

Robert:I found the text you refer to at the Capt. Sim website. I've printed it off, but not yet had a chance to read it properly.The default loading situation is all 4 engines running, fueled exclusively by the center tank. The other 6 fuel tanks are full, but not active.JS